Monitor firmware upgrade to support Adaptive Sync

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
inferKNOX

Monitor firmware upgrade to support Adaptive Sync

Post by inferKNOX » 06 Feb 2015, 11:58

Hi guys, in the early days I read that because there was no monitor-side hardware requirements for Freesync (and apparently neither does G-Sync if latest rumours are to be believed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SYvgB6SZ4), there would be the possibility that monitors could simply be updated with firmware to add support for this new tech.

Since then, there's been no word on it that I have found, only talk of releasing new monitors with support. Now... I do plan to upgrade to a new monitor once there are affordable options with that include high reso, ULMB, etc, however, but that day has not yet come & it would be nice to enjoy some adaptive/free/g sync with my current monitor before then; a sentiment I'm sure many others can appreciate.

Anyone here about how possible/likely firmware updates for monitors to support adaptive sync are to happen?
If so, any monitors announced to be among the first to get them?

GameLifter

Re: Monitor firmware upgrade to support Adaptive Sync

Post by GameLifter » 06 Feb 2015, 12:11

This thread mentions a 4K Monitor that can be upgraded with a firmware update to use Freesync. This is the only one I know of.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1725

blargg

Post by blargg » 06 Feb 2015, 19:02

I think that these adaptive-sync options generally require a frame buffer in the monitor, to allow regular updates to the LCD when the PC isn't sending them often though. Some monitors might not have a full frame buffer, or at least one with full storage (e.g. RTC) only a few lines of buffer. The RTC blur reduction framebuffers I think often store compressed, lossy representations of the frame since that's all that's needed for RTC. I couldn't find any documentation offhand as to whether Freesync requires that the host update at a minimum rate (so as to remove the need for a framebuffer in the monitor).

jts888

Post by jts888 » 07 Feb 2015, 08:19

blargg wrote:I think that these adaptive-sync options generally require a frame buffer in the monitor, to allow regular updates to the LCD when the PC isn't sending them often though. Some monitors might not have a full frame buffer, or at least one with full storage (e.g. RTC) only a few lines of buffer. The RTC blur reduction framebuffers I think often store compressed, lossy representations of the frame since that's all that's needed for RTC. I couldn't find any documentation offhand as to whether Freesync requires that the host update at a minimum rate (so as to remove the need for a framebuffer in the monitor).
DP 1.2a requires only that a display publish in its EDID/DisplayID table the refresh rate ranges it support and that it accept any frames transferred within those interval limits.

CES coverage last month showed only panels with 30-40 Hz lower limits, essentially confirming that AMD's FreeSync puts the extra buffer on the GPU, since a panel with a full buffer, compressed or otherwise, would be sufficient for Display Self Refresh like some laptops, with a zero Hz minimum input.

Of course, things like overdrive compensation and time-compressed panel write-out need buffers, so future Adaptive-sync monitors may well go this direction anyways.

inferKNOX

Post by inferKNOX » 15 Feb 2015, 16:05

I do hope that more such updates start being released. I really think it'll do a lot towards the widespread adoption of adaptive sync and ultimately nVidia's need to support it.
I for one, only want a new monitor when it is adaptive sync capable, high res, OLED, 3D capable & with ULMB. I just think there has to be large incentive like that to upgrade, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. That being the case, the uptake of new monitors may be slow, thus making the proliferation of adaptive sync slow in turn, unless the firmware updates make things more exciting for those with already half-decent monitors.