Will NVIDIA ever support Adaptive Sync?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
silikone

Will NVIDIA ever support Adaptive Sync?

Post by silikone » 12 Feb 2015, 11:06

Understandably, it's not a company's biggest desire to leave behind an implementation they have invested in, but consumers and manufacturers now have little reason to pay for an expensive module that is now redundant. If NVIDIA stays proprietary, it wouldn't surprise me if it backlashed by an exodus of anti-stutter enthusiasts to AMD.
I certainly won't be buying a G-sync monitor now that I know it's throwing 170 dollars out of the window.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Will NVIDIA ever support Adaptive Sync?

Post by RealNC » 12 Feb 2015, 14:54

All information ever communicated by NVidia (by Tom Petersen) states that they will not support it. AFAIK, that information has not changed.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 13 Feb 2015, 03:48

If freesync is truly able to be just as good as gsync in every aspect then gsync WILL eventually die.
Intel will adopt adaptivesync and then nvidia will HAVE TO support it.

However, i hear that adaptivesync can only go as low as 9hz, and gsync could go as low as 0hz. Today that means nothing, cuz panels are all shit. But in the future OLEDs are good enough to be able to hold a static image @ 0hz if the next one is taking its time.
Not that anyone will be gaming around 10fps or something. But it would make gsync superior, if on OLED it would be able to achieve a true fps=hz, wihtout a minimum, just with a max cap.

So if even something like that makes gsync better it wont go away and nvidia will always support it and not support any competing tech.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 13 Feb 2015, 08:08

I'm getting a little tired of best-guessing. Actual reviews of actual FS-enabled monitors should not be too far off. Waiting till then before calling judgment

pinobot

Post by pinobot » 13 Feb 2015, 12:20

It all depends if Adaptive Synch will be part of the DP1.3 specs or just an option.
If it's part of the 1.3 specs then NVIDIA will never be able to advertise a card with DP1.3 or higher Display Port which they also will need to support higher resolutions.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 13 Feb 2015, 16:28

pinobot wrote:It all depends if Adaptive Synch will be part of the DP1.3 specs or just an option.
If it's part of the 1.3 specs then NVIDIA will never be able to advertise a card with DP1.3 or higher Display Port which they also will need to support higher resolutions.
It will never be a mandatory part of the spec for the simple reason that not all applications require variable refresh rates. doesn't matter if the price difference is 10 dollars or 10 cents per monitor, that's a lot of money if you're building say 100k point of sale systems.

Trip

Post by Trip » 13 Feb 2015, 16:32

I can easily say they will support it in the future.
Why?
Well they pretty much already support it on one laptop. On that laptop its called mobile gsync but who cares about the name the fact is they have a driver that will use the adaptive sync protocol. This in itself means they are developing software for the protocol. I don't see any reason for them not to support it. They will not try to push the technology obviously but I am pretty sure they will eventually have to support it whether they like it or not.

Blackeye

Post by Blackeye » 25 Feb 2015, 10:16

Since you can expect the next generation of NVidia GPUs will have a newer Display Port-Version onboard, the step to community Drivers/Programms to enable Freesync are not far away from this point... i hope.

But it won't happen with the current GTX 9xx's, cause of the DisplayPort 1.2.