Possible to overclock freesync monitor?

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
madman

Possible to overclock freesync monitor?

Post by madman » 19 Jun 2015, 21:32

Anyone know if freesync will still work if a monitor is overclocked? I might give it a shot.

Also I have the 34um67...kinda disappointed about the limited freesync range, but whatever, I wanted an ultrawide anyway. Seems freesync would be more beneficial at lower frames, 48 minimum is really high imo.

Edmond

Re: Possible to overclock freesync monitor?

Post by Edmond » 28 Jun 2015, 02:39

Download rivatuner statistics server tool and manually set up a global fps cap of 74. Then you will never have to deal with the issues of freesync at the maximum cap.
And as long as your fps doesnt drop below 48, you`ll enjoy a stutter and tearing free gaming all the time.

Yes, the 48fps minimum could have been lower, but if you aim your games to have an average of 70fps i think you should be good.

madman

Post by madman » 07 Jul 2015, 17:10

Edmond wrote:Download rivatuner statistics server tool and manually set up a global fps cap of 74. Then you will never have to deal with the issues of freesync at the maximum cap.
And as long as your fps doesnt drop below 48, you`ll enjoy a stutter and tearing free gaming all the time.

Yes, the 48fps minimum could have been lower, but if you aim your games to have an average of 70fps i think you should be good.
Easier said than done on some games if you want to keep the settings up.

I was just curious about the overclocking thing since most monitors seem to squeeze out a few extra hz

Trip

Post by Trip » 08 Jul 2015, 06:22

madman wrote:Easier said than done on some games if you want to keep the settings up.

I was just curious about the overclocking thing since most monitors seem to squeeze out a few extra hz
That has never happened to me though with 3 different monitors. All of them acted up after adding or subtracting a single hz. I think most monitors only allow set frequencies stored in there edid memory and others will just be ignored. There are exceptions though like those cheap korean monitors that you can overclock like crazy but I think most monitors won't allow any other rates than what they are rated at.

GraveUypo

Post by GraveUypo » 24 Aug 2016, 13:53

yep, you can overclock them. but you HAVE to extend the freesync range if you're going to do it, otherwise they'll just skip frames like mad.

i have a LG 34" ultrawide that comes at 75hz, but i've managed to make it display 100hz properly. the problem is the stupid OSD pops up a window in the middle of the screen saying "out of range" even though the image is being properly displayed. trying to find a way to get rid of that right now. but it worked without that issue up to 80hz, which is better than no oc at all.

that aside, i'm struggling with freesync.
limiting the fps cap via riva tuner doesn't work. just makes a permanent stationary tear on the screen, much worse than no sync at all.
for now, the only way i got freesync to properly work was by using vsync alonside it, which is hardly ideal. hate the input lag. gsync was much easier to setup :|