BenQ XL2730Z Freesync & Motion Blur Reduction

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
ismithers

BenQ XL2730Z Freesync & Motion Blur Reduction

Post by ismithers » 09 Nov 2015, 23:47

I've seen MBR in action which is really nice, but so far haven't seen Freesync in action yet, so I am debating what is the better option here given they are mutually exclusive? What are your preferences and is there no way to have both? That being said the XL2730Z can do both (just not at the same time) so is it feasible to swap between them as required, does anyone do this and use the Gamer 1 -> 3 profiles to store their settings and flick them on/off on the fly.

Falkentyne

Re: BenQ XL2730Z Freesync & Motion Blur Reduction

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Nov 2015, 00:40

Someone (and I don't know if it was on a Gsync ULMB board or a freesync Benq) somehow managed to get blur reduction and adaptive sync working at the exact same time due to some sort of driver bug, and he said the "results weren't pretty."

I have the XL2720Z, so I can't use freesync, but to be honest, blur reduction single strobed is much better than freesync *IF* you can keep framerate matching current (fixed) refresh rate at all times. The clarity of benq blur reduction is second to none, in those conditions.

However if framerate is always dropping under a fixed refresh rate, freesync would be the better choice as the stutters would ruin a lot of the effect of blur reduction (even though you can still read text/decals more easily even with stutters than you can with freesync, stutters detract from a smooth fun gameplay experience).

ismithers

Post by ismithers » 10 Nov 2015, 04:13

Interesting, I wonder how they did that. I have the option at present to have either or, you may recall I have the XL2730Z so it has both options. The reseller is going to let me know what they can do in regards to an exchange as it has the buggy V001 firmware, and so I'm wondering if I should go with a fixed firmware version of this monitor, or ask for an exchange to the model you have, or even another brand altogether. Any advice welcome, I quite like this monitor and if I do keep it I will grab a R9 390X to compliment it.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Nov 2015, 07:50

There's nothing wrong with the XL2730Z V002, provided it doesn't just randomly die on you (people with both ROG Swifts PG278Q's and XL2730Z's have had the panels just quit working randomly, usually starting with very bad blurring or corruption--the panels are extremely similar although the part numbers differ).

The image quality of the XL2730z should blow away the XL2720Z or most other TN panels away (it's still a TN but the ROG Swift is identical in image quality). However blur reduction is VERY Important to me, and the XL2730Z does (1) NOT respond to vertical total tweaks to lower the strobe crosstalk even though it recognizes that the VT was changed,

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 2&start=20

(at 120hz, crosstalk covers around 20% of the screen, although you can move it around with the strobe phase (AREA) OSD setting, while on the XL2720Z, you can lower strobe crosstalk at most refresh rates (60hz-128hz in 1 hz increments mostly) by 13-25% by either using a VT 1350, VT 1354, VT 1360, or VT 1497-1502 custom vertical total (whichever one does not cause frameskipping or go out of range). and

(2) --the biggie--the XL2730Z can not strobe in sync with the refresh rate under 120hz, which is a deal breaker for me. But for many people they just use freesync anyway. But I need my custom refresh rates and my full range blur reduction.

For anyone who doesn't, however, the xl2730Z is a good purchase.
Some people who are tired of playing the XB270HU / PB279Q panel lottery are trying the XL2730Z Even though they have an Nvidia card (=no free sync) and are still happy.

ismithers

Post by ismithers » 11 Nov 2015, 04:33

Yeah I'm likely going to roll with it, just want the firmware update. Roll on the weekend! :)