Inquiry about variable framerate monitors

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Vcert

Inquiry about variable framerate monitors

Post by Vcert » 16 May 2016, 13:22

Hi everyone, not 100% sure this is the correct place to ask this, but im thinking about getting a freesync monitor to hopefully resolve an issue im having.

I notice my games aren't 100% smooth if above the refresh rate(unless it goes way above 120fps), i have thought this is normal, isnt it? Would a freesync monitor solve this? Im currently using a CRT by the way. I wanted to make sure this is related to the monitor before making a big purchase. Vsync seems to get everything super smooth though, so i've been rolling with that in every game.

These are some examples of what im refering to:https://youtu.be/5b9rRInNISA without vsync. https://youtu.be/ocBYfNpwE1Q with it on. And this one https://youtu.be/hADoyh-vXMk capped at 61 for good measure. If i uncap the framerate and it goes above 160fps its practically unnoticeable.

Oh and this screen supports 85hz at 800x600, again with vsync on its perfect, otherwise not so good.

Assuming this is indeed the monitor, is freesync the only option? I ask, because the prices in my country are disgusting when it comes to these type of screens ($700 for an Asus Vg248qe and $1100 for an Acer Xf270h lol).

Any help is most appreciated.

lexlazootin

Re: Inquiry about variable framerate monitors

Post by lexlazootin » 18 May 2016, 20:46

Yes, this is a common problem for the people that notice it and because you are using a CRT it will stand out a lot more because of the high brightness and low blur.

What GPU do you have? You said that you need a FreeSync monitor but then you linked G-Sync monitor and a FreeSync monitor. Just too make sure you need a Gsync monitor if you have a Nvidia and a FreeSync monitor if you have AMD.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 18 May 2016, 22:17

lexlazootin wrote:Yes, this is a common problem for the people that notice it and because you are using a CRT it will stand out a lot more because of the high brightness and low blur.

What GPU do you have? You said that you need a FreeSync monitor but then you linked G-Sync monitor and a FreeSync monitor. Just too make sure you need a Gsync monitor if you have a Nvidia and a FreeSync monitor if you have AMD.
Also check to make sure the specific GPU supports it, GCN 1.1 or better for AMD, Kepler or later for Nvidia.

Vcert

Post by Vcert » 18 May 2016, 23:23

Thanks for replying, i have an r7 360. I think it supports freesync, and if it doesnt i hope a 144hz would make it better.

Interesting about the lack of blur on the crt, makes sense. I also notice a lot of screen tearing while in fullscreen, so yeah, definitely gonna have to change this monitor.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Aug 2017, 09:41

Freesync will not do anything if your frame rate is higher than the refresh rate. It will be exactly the same as what you're getting now.

For freesync to do anything useful, you need to limit your frame rate to stay below your refresh rate.

Have you tried using vsync and then apply the "low latency vsync" method:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php ... ost5380262
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Aug 2017, 11:56

Vcert wrote:I notice my games aren't 100% smooth if above the refresh rate(unless it goes way above 120fps), i have thought this is normal, isnt it?
Yes, it's normal. Stutters can be amplified by harmonics between frame rate and refresh rate.
The easiest way to fix this is getting a higher refresh rate, such as a 240 Hz VRR monitor.
Vcert wrote:Would a freesync monitor solve this?
If you get a higher Hz, yes.

You want a maximum Hz that's higher than the games you play.

A 240Hz FreeSync or GSYNC monitor would allow your frame rate to fluctuate to your heart's content, practically stutterlessly from 100fps to 150fps, unlike on a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor.
Vcert wrote:Im currently using a CRT by the way. I wanted to make sure this is related to the monitor before making a big purchase.
It's unsolvable when "frame rates go slightly above refresh rate" on any monitor, CRT or LCD. Stutters always shows up when you do that.

It's a harmonic frequency between the two frequencies (a frame rate and a refresh rate).
62fps at 60Hz is 2 stutters per second, for example.

You need either of the following to eliminate stutters caused by harmonics between a frame rate and a refresh rate.
(A) VSYNC ON to lock the frame rate
(B) Variable refresh rate *AND* a frame rate lower than max Hz
(C) Frame rates stratospherically far above refresh rate (e.g. 500 fps at 60 Hz looks smooth)
Vcert wrote:Vsync seems to get everything super smooth though, so i've been rolling with that in every game.
That's solution (A).

Now you want to decide if you want a solution (B) or a solution (C). To do solution (B) you either need to get a higher Hz monitor (e.g. 240Hz) or use a frame rate limiter (e.g. fps_max 140 on a 144Hz FreeSync monitor). Either solution will eliminate stutters. But this will cost a lot from your country.

In addition, since you are a CRT user, you should know that even 240fps@240Hz (sample-and-hold) has more motion blur than even 60Hz VSYNC ON CRT unless it's impulsed like a CRT (strobing). Remember that most FreeSync monitors don't have a Blur Reduction mode.

We have big monitor lists here of all known monitors on the North American market:
-- Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
-- Official List of FreeSync Monitors
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!