Freesync news

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Edmond

Freesync news

Post by Edmond » 04 Jun 2014, 13:25

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Card ... nc-Feature

The best news i have heard this year.

1. Regardless of what you think, competition makes everything better and cheaper... for everyone.

2. Also, freesync will work with some APUs! Dear Mother Of the Holy Space Lizard /takes off glasses and sheds a tear
This means people on budget will be able to enjoy artifact free and smooth gaming from a fucking APU! Ye, less eye candy, but: performance > everything.

3. The Demo`d monitor is an 1440p IPS panel.
Last edited by Edmond on 05 Jun 2014, 04:54, edited 2 times in total.

omgBlur

Re: Freesync news

Post by omgBlur » 04 Jun 2014, 14:32

Huh... after reading that article it's not all that I expected it to be. I wonder how the fanboys will take to this news since most praise it as the savior of variable refresh rate monitors. It's interesting that they are using a monitor that is on the market but have hidden the "model and brand" and mentioned that "Monitors COULD BE UPGRADED to support this feature, but this does not guarantee that firmware alone can enable the feature, it does reveal that some scalar/LCD combinations are already sufficiently advanced that they can support some degree of DRR (dynamic refresh rate) and the full DPAS (DisplayPort Adaptive Sync) specification through software changes"

Really curious how many monitors are out there on the market that would be able to take advantage of this...

Also,it only works on 3 different series AMD cards. Anyone can shed some light as to why the R270/x or R280/x are not included?

Blural

Post by Blural » 04 Jun 2014, 14:44

omgBlur wrote:Anyone can shed some light as to why the R270/x or R280/x won't be able to handle it?
I dunno but if it's anything short of a reasonable explanation then the community will easily find a way to enable it.

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 04 Jun 2014, 22:32

As much as I would love to run a IPS screen with freesync before gsync, something tells me that the reviews for freesync are not going to be as positive as they where for gsync. Gsync seems carefully designed to perfectly sync up each frame. Whereas freesync seems more like a gpu-end prediction system. Which will translate into stutter for highly variable framerates. It's a good thing that freesync is potentially starting at a lower refresh rate than nvidia. However I can't shake the feeling that freesync is not going to do as well on a technical level.

If i am wrong, i'll be very happy, because at least that will mean competition and options. Which I want.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jun 2014, 22:45

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

flood

Post by flood » 04 Jun 2014, 22:48

wait so

is freesync working by guessing the proper time for vblank, whereas gsync works by exiting vblank as soon as a new frame is ready?

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 05 Jun 2014, 04:57

flood wrote:wait so

is freesync working by guessing the proper time for vblank, whereas gsync works by exiting vblank as soon as a new frame is ready?
I have heard that too. But i cant find a legit source for this info.
I question the validity of this proposal.

Either way, we should wait till the first legit freesync monitor to see how it actually compares to gsync. I HOPE its exactly the same... but we`ll see.

omgBlur

Post by omgBlur » 05 Jun 2014, 08:49

Edmond wrote:
flood wrote:wait so

I have heard that too. But i cant find a legit source for this info.
I question the validity of this proposal.

Either way, we should wait till the first legit freesync monitor to see how it actually compares to gsync. I HOPE its exactly the same... but we`ll see.
There's a lot of misinformation surrounding these technologies, but as far as I've been able to decipher any monitor that wants to variable refresh needs to have *some kind* of hardware inside to coordinate that process. NVIDIA saw an opportunity to provide a solution (proprietary, but possibly licenseable) via dedicated hardware upgrades to existing(VG248Q) and future DP monitors. In response, AMD/VESA sought out a method that used existing technology (eDP) in order to bring it to future DP1.2a monitors. Either way, the hardware has to be there alongside software/firmware.

As you mentioned if someone is interested in finding out which of the two will be the "better" wait till Chief, Linus, Hardwarecanuks and other reviewers/experts get them. :D

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 05 Jun 2014, 10:11

Anyone have detailed info on the TCON/Scaler inside this? http://www.nixeus.com/?product=nixeus-vue-27d It appears to be the display in AMD's demo.

That said, I'm not convinced by the demo yet, was anyone able to confirm the demo showed refresh rate following a changing framerate?

flood

Post by flood » 05 Jun 2014, 12:02

I can confirm that the test monitors that they set up have framerates intentionally chosen to cause stuttering with freesync off