Freesync news

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Sparky

Re: Freesync news

Post by Sparky » 05 Jun 2014, 12:08

flood wrote:I can confirm that the test monitors that they set up have framerates intentionally chosen to cause stuttering with freesync off
Fixed or changing? The entire point of the technology is to adapt to a changing framerate. If they haven't shown that, I'm not optimistic about their timeframe.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Jun 2014, 12:12

flood wrote:I can confirm that the test monitors that they set up have framerates intentionally chosen to cause stuttering with freesync off
I guess it's the Watch Dogs of monitors, then :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flood

Post by flood » 05 Jun 2014, 19:51

Sparky wrote:
Fixed or changing? The entire point of the technology is to adapt to a changing framerate. If they haven't shown that, I'm not optimistic about their timeframe.
not saying that freesync doesn't work, but that demo is essentially another example of a before-vs-after advertisement.

obviously the stutter in the freesync off monitor, which is visible even in the 30fps youtube video, is artificially introduced since even framerates jumping randomly between 40-60 shouldn't show up as THAT much stutter in a 30fps camera recording.

we can't really tell how well freesync works from the video since there's no information about the framerate on each monitor...

in the best case, it will be as good as gsync, but in the worst it will just be a poor man's gsync.