[TestUFO Aliasing Visibility] Anti-aliasing gamma correction

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
silikone

[TestUFO Aliasing Visibility] Anti-aliasing gamma correction

Post by silikone » 21 Aug 2017, 04:02

One thing I have noticed is that a visual pattern emerges from the line when anti-aliased. I suspect that this is due to a lack of gamma correction. Having the option to toggle this would be useful.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [TestUFO Aliasing Visibility] Anti-aliasing gamma correc

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Aug 2017, 15:55

Regarding http://www.testufo.com/aliasing-visibility in two forms:

Without antialiasing:

With antialiasing:

(The object of this test is to see how sharp ("retina") a display must be become so a human can't see pixel jaggies in this line -- this is even often still visible on a 40" 4K display from ten feet away; further away than many would expect)

A gamma adjustment for the greys used in the anti-aliasing is a great idea! Unfortunately, I am currently using the default antialiasing algorithm. So, I'll have to create my own custom line-drawing routine with a gamma-adjustable antialiasing for this test.

If there's a lot of demand for a gamma adjustment feature for this test, I'll make updates to this specific TestUFO test. In the meantime, one can use the display's gamma adjustment feature instead.

If anyone else needs a gamma adjustment feature added to this particular test, please let me know -- thanks!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!