What should the test look like?

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
VinnyM

What should the test look like?

Post by VinnyM » 25 Sep 2017, 08:07

Hi,
Since the start of 2017, I've noticed that my games arent fluid anymore,
I would like to know what do I have to do to know what is the problem with my setup,
I used this test >> http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates
But I dont know what It should look like, the 144fps is slightly better than 72fps,
And If I try to eyetrack the 144fps UFO my eye kind of hurt, and I cant see all the UFO details,
I have the G2460PF, i7 4790k, 970gtx, 16gb ram.
Please, someone help me
(btw, sorry about the shitty english)

Sparky

Re: What should the test look like?

Post by Sparky » 25 Sep 2017, 12:12

The main difference would be that when your eye tracks the image, 144fps should have half as much motion blur as 72fps. If your monitor has a low persistence mode, the half framerate would have a doubled image. Anyway, that particular test is more of a demonstration of what different framerates look like than a test of your monitor. If you think your monitor is dropping frames, look at the frameskipping test.

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » 26 Sep 2017, 07:04

Sparky wrote:The main difference would be that when your eye tracks the image, 144fps should have half as much motion blur as 72fps. If your monitor has a low persistence mode, the half framerate would have a doubled image. Anyway, that particular test is more of a demonstration of what different framerates look like than a test of your monitor. If you think your monitor is dropping frames, look at the frameskipping test.
I did the frameskipping test, and Its ok tho :(
Maybe my GPU is fcked?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Sep 2017, 18:29

Is 144fps TestUFO smooth or stuttery?

For a good modern 1ms TN 144Hz, the 144fps@144Hz should have about half motion blur of 72fps@72Hz.
If that's not happening for you, then something is wrong.

Certain older AOC G2460 firmwares were prone to frameskipping, which interferes with game fluidity, you should doublecheck. Newer AOC firmwares fixed this.

Check http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
Make sure you use Chrome, close all windows and tabs, and make sure your browser is running stutterfree. Take a photo with your phone only when it says "READY", and post the photo here.

Ideally, it should look very approximately slightly less blurry than the 120Hz one below:

At 144Hz, you have about 6.9ms of persistence (1/144sec), so you will be slightly clearer than 120Hz but much blurrier than the 240Hz one.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » 27 Sep 2017, 11:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Is 144fps TestUFO smooth or stuttery?

For a good modern 1ms TN 144Hz, the 144fps@144Hz should have about half motion blur of 72fps@72Hz.
If that's not happening for you, then something is wrong.

Certain older AOC G2460 firmwares were prone to frameskipping, which interferes with game fluidity, you should doublecheck. Newer AOC firmwares fixed this.

Check http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
Make sure you use Chrome, close all windows and tabs, and make sure your browser is running stutterfree. Take a photo with your phone only when it says "READY", and post the photo here.

Ideally, it should look very approximately slightly less blurry than the 120Hz one below:

At 144Hz, you have about 6.9ms of persistence (1/144sec), so you will be slightly clearer than 120Hz but much blurrier than the 240Hz one.
OMG, that was what I was trying to find,
Really thanks, helped alot!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Sep 2017, 22:24

VinnyM wrote:OMG, that was what I was trying to find,
You're welcome!
Any frameskipping found in your monitor at www.testufo.com/frameskipping ?
Some very early versions of AOC firmwares skipped more than half of the squares at 144Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » 29 Sep 2017, 07:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
VinnyM wrote:OMG, that was what I was trying to find,
You're welcome!
Any frameskipping found in your monitor at http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping ?
Some very early versions of AOC firmwares skipped more than half of the squares at 144Hz.
Nops, 0 frameskipping, and the hz test, says that I got 143.89hz.
I dont know what to do, should I buy another GPU? Its a memory problem? When I watch streams of the game, It looks soo smooth, and I used to play smootly (v-sync off), and now, even with v-sync on, It doesnt look that smooth anymore :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Sep 2017, 11:41

Did you try Fast Sync instead of VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF?

Maybe the stutter mechanics of that is more similar to the YouTube videos you watch?

VinnyM

Post by VinnyM » 02 Oct 2017, 09:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Did you try Fast Sync instead of VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF?

Maybe the stutter mechanics of that is more similar to the YouTube videos you watch?
I've tried every sync option :(.
Do you know what can cause this? Maybe the memory? GPU? CPU? Life?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Oct 2017, 12:18

Did you have very good, smooth looking 144Hz before? Most of the "I had smooth 144Hz before but now I have stuttery 144Hz" problems tends to get fixed via a refresh software redo of the system.

Did you try:
-- Uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers? (don't just reinstall -- do a full uninstall first)
-- Reinstall the OS?

Also, accidental changes to detail levels can add to stuttering. If this is a possible cause, you may want to turn off all AA and use factory default graphics-detail settings, to get closer to what you used to have before at the same refresh rate. Many settings, including shader settings, shadow settings, AA settings, view-distance settings, can all add to increased stutters. You might have some kind of a framepacing issue. The same frame rate can be much more stuttery if it has very bad frame pacing.

Long-term, you might also want to consider a VRR monitor (G-SYNC or FreeSync) -- since variable refresh rate is much more forgiving of certain kinds of frame pacing issues (as long as gametime and frame visiblity time stays in sync, the pacing can be even random as long as it's synchronous between the game and refresh cycles -- and stutter is still hidden by the variable refresh rate nature)