Digital to analog video converters not working for GDM-FW900

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
CRTguy

Digital to analog video converters not working for GDM-FW900

Post by CRTguy » 29 Mar 2017, 18:13

So the new gen of video cards will no longer support analog out since they've removing DVI entirely (and axed analog DVI on the GTX 1080).

Because of this, I can't use the new video cards on my Sony GDM-FW900 CRT. I've tried three different digital to analog converters, one of them being HDMI to VGA and two of them being DisplayPort to VGA, and I've gotten some poor results.

The HDMI to VGA converter did not recognize the 16:10 format of 1920 by 1200, and so I got a weird 4:3 cutout of 1920 by 1200 when trying to use that resolution (the sides were missing). The refresh was also limited to 60hz (I could push it to 62hz before loss of signal). The DisplayPort to VGA converters both had a behavior where I was getting a 1280 resolution in all cases instead of 1920 (the CRT detected 1280 when I was supposed to be in 1920), and the image appeared to be upscaled to 1920 in a jagged mess of approximated graphic output. Both DP to VGA adapters were using the same converter chipset (Analogix ANX9833), so it makes sense they would have the same behavior. These two adapters could do at least 85hz, but they were stuck in 1280 res so that isn't much of an accomplishment.

This is a real longshot since very few people need to convert digital output to VGA at 1920 by 1200, but if anyone could offer any suggestions/advice, that would be great.

spacediver

Re: Digital to analog video converters not working for GDM-F

Post by spacediver » 30 Mar 2017, 11:21

This issue has been discussed quite a lot lately on the FW900 thread on hardforum. From what I've been able to gather, there is hope, but also a fair amount of uncertainty. Based on your post, I assume you might be one of the posters on that thread :)

https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widesc ... 8/page-369

Would be interesting to see if anyone from the blurbusters community has any more information though.

CRTguy

Post by CRTguy » 30 Mar 2017, 14:56

Thanks for sharing that thread link. I actually didn't know about this forum or thread, despite owning an FW900.

It looks like people are still trying to come up with a solution. I'll keep following it and contribute to it if I find anything that they haven't already.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2017, 21:36

Thanks for the info!

CRTguy, don't leave us entirely. ;)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CRTguy

Post by CRTguy » 30 Mar 2017, 23:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Thanks for the info!

CRTguy, don't leave us entirely. ;)
This site was the first site that made me realize I wasn't alone in being obsessed with smooth motion on monitors. I ain't going anywhere.

I've been visiting blurbusters.com for years to collect information, but never ended up making a forum account until a few days ago. I also link people to the site when trying to explain why there's this enormous 100lbs monitor on my desk.

As a side note, the FW900 also serves as a heated cat bed (they sleep on top of the top vents), but it isn't as good as other CRT monitors. Sony made a reasonably successful attempt to reduce the back profile of the FW900 despite the front screen being wider than other CRTs. The top part kind of slants down and only really works well for kittens.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Mar 2017, 05:54

I hope you're covering the vents with something :-P Cat hair isn't the best thing to throw inside a CRT.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vaskedama

Post by Vaskedama » 25 Jun 2017, 04:51

So does anyone know if there is hope for Digital to Analog conversion for newer graphic cards ?