How to send output to two monitors using a single PC for a side by side comparison?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
KALK4L

How to send output to two monitors using a single PC for a side by side comparison?

Post by KALK4L » 25 Jul 2023, 05:55

I'll have two monitors sent to me and want to compare between them side by side before keeping one, the first monitor is 240Hz and the other is 360Hz and both have a resolution of 1440p. I have only 1 PC and want to send signal to both of them simultaneously like this so I can easily compare the experience. I tried to google this but I kept getting results for how to run a multimonitor setup which is not what I'm trying to do. I would appreciate any help on how to do this.

I'm doing this just for my own sake not to professionally test like a review site, so if there are additional equipment needed it would be preferable if they are not very expensive because I'll only use them only one time.

Zodasaur

Re: How to send output to two monitors using a single PC for a side by side comparison?

Post by Zodasaur » 28 Jul 2023, 09:16

Buy a HDMI splitter.

jorimt

Re: How to send output to two monitors using a single PC for a side by side comparison?

Post by jorimt » 28 Jul 2023, 15:18

KALK4L wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 05:55
You'd probably need a DisplayPort splitter that supports up to 360Hz. I don't know of any offhand, and even if there are, they'd likely be very expensive or have frustrating limitations for your particular use case, especially if you're trying to test VRR.

Cheapest way would be to connect each monitor to a separate DisplayPort on your GPU, then use the "Duplicate" function (Windows key + P), and alternate which one is primary/duplicated depending on which you want to test with no added delay (a duped display will typically have 10ms+ extra latency over running dedicated).

Finally, depending on your GPU and if one of the monitors uses DSC, you may run into bandwidth limitations in multi-monitor mode while testing, which may cause screen blanking, limited res settings, etc.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 28 Jul 2023, 15:43

jorimt wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 15:18
KALK4L wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 05:55
You'd probably need a DisplayPort splitter that supports up to 360Hz. I don't know of any offhand, and even if there are, they'd likely be very expensive or have frustrating limitations for your particular use case, especially if you're trying to test VRR.

Cheapest way would be to connect each monitor to a separate DisplayPort on your GPU, then use the "Duplicate" function (Windows key + P), and alternate which one is primary/duplicated depending on which you want to test with no added delay (a duped display will typically have 10ms+ extra latency over running dedicated).

Finally, depending on your GPU and if one of the monitors uses DSC, you may run into bandwidth limitations in multi-monitor mode while testing, which may cause screen blanking, limited res settings, etc.
Hello budy, how are you? I'll take advantage of your answer to ask a question. I currently have two monitors, one 360hz with OC for 390hz and one 240hz. Is there a way to use the two together without worrying about additional latency on my main 390hz monitor? I wanted to use 390hz for competitive games, and the second monitor to leave discord, some web page if I need it or even leave it on but unused if it doesn't cause any latency. What would be the best way to turn them on and setup in windows? Would it be left on extended screen? Does this cause any additional latency on my primary monitor? I use it with backlighting strobing turned on if that makes any difference. Thanks

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Jul 2023, 15:52

Caronizeeee wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 15:43
What would be the best way to turn them on and setup in windows? Would it be left on extended screen? Does this cause any additional latency on my primary monitor? I use it with backlighting strobing turned on if that makes any difference. Thanks
If you have your 390Hz monitor set as primary, and the 240Hz secondary set to extended, then your 390Hz primary shouldn't have any added latency where multi-monitor configuration is concerned.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)