nVidia's CES Press Conference

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
nimbulan

nVidia's CES Press Conference

Post by nimbulan » 04 Jan 2014, 15:30

The stream is over! Check the live blog for a full transcript.

I thought I'd create this thread so we can talk about what may be announced and discuss what does get announced afterwards. I am expecting we will hear more details about G-Sync and upgrade kit availability and we may also hear an announcement about the new Maxwell video cards (GTX 800 series.) What do you guys think?

The press conference had a heavy focus on mobile computing unfortunately, but I will include the main announcements here for those interested.
Items announced:
  • nVidia Grid (OnLive clone) streaming to Shield devices.
  • G-sync monitors will be available in 24" and 27" at 1080p and 27" at 1440p in Q2 2014 from Acer, AOC, Asus, BenQ, Philips, and Viewsonic.
  • New Tegra K1 mobile chip has 192 cores (this seems to be their "impossibly advanced" announcement,) one version with a dual core 64 bit CPU, and will have the same hardware support (DX 11.1, etc) as current desktop cards.
  • Unreal Engine 4 will run on Tegra K1
  • Tegra K1 seems to be around 50% more powerful than the Xbox 360 / PS3 from the specs given but only uses 5W.
  • Tegra K1 will be in cars too.
  • Project Mercury allows photorealistic rendering of virtual instruments
There was also a lot of talk about older technology like HDR and eye adaptation making it sound like it's new for some reason.
Last edited by nimbulan on 06 Jan 2014, 00:37, edited 3 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: nVidia's CES Press Conference

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2014, 16:22

I bet they're going to announce more details about ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 04 Jan 2014, 17:10

I want to hear about the monitors (other than today's ASUS) that are going to be compatible with the kits or come as natively G-Sync ready. No idea if CES will be the place and time for such an announcement, however

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 04 Jan 2014, 19:04

It's unfortunate that these shows are over-run with company spokes persons, models, and sales persons instead of engineers who actually helped to create this stuff and know more about it.

My general experience at CES is that once you want to talk about anything technical, you get a response along the lines of "oh, we don't actually KNOW anything."

CES is definitely a time for announcements to be made, but by showing up, you aren't much more likely to get more detailed information at all unless you get lucky enough to find someone who is both knowledgeable about what you want to know and is willing to tell you what you want to know.

Even when you run into someone who knows something that the general public doesn't know (hasn't been announced on the wire) they are generally instructed not to say anything at all about anything that the public does not already know about.

:-)

Pretty much saying stuff most people know, but CES is a "SHOW" and they generally don't "TELL" anything new except on the news wire (and spokespeople repeating what the wire says).

There are exceptions for smaller companies, of course. But every year I go and try to talk to Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, and it's always the same thing.

NVidia could be different. Who knows?

shadman

Post by shadman » 05 Jan 2014, 13:53

I went last year for the first time (Jan 2013) and must say I was underwhelmed with that the show really is. Sure, Sony announced their Xperia Z-line phones for USA, Ubuntu for phones was shown, a couple of different displays looked nice (8K anyone?) But the coolest things still aren't really in production.

It's that, and then a ridiculous amount of iPhone cases being sold, and other weird nicknacks. Definitely, the show is for company buyers.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 05 Jan 2014, 14:30

ROFLMAO (at myself)...

I'm just glad at least the display industry is "waking up" and "smelling the coffee" instead of chasing 3d and bad implementations of HMD (with latency and motion artifacts and sickness).

Every year at CES I would go around and ask these company representatives questions that basically amount to "do you understand retinal blurring and what it is." Year after year the answer was "no" until last year.

And while they said no they said "look at 3d" and "look at lenticiular" and "look at HMD's with horrible image quality."

FINALLY! How about some refresh and backlight strobes? Huh? What? Oh yeah, you knew all along?

Yeah.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 05 Jan 2014, 14:44

If you have any interest in seeing very large speakers or cars all decked out with crazy sound systems, CES is good for that too.

Alright, sorry to hijack the thread. We are absolutely interested in NVidia's thing they're doing tonight. (Back on topic!)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jan 2014, 14:57

This is a CES thread, so the photos from CES taken by yourself or of yourself, is welcome here. As long as you have photos/video from CES, or it didn't happen! ;)

NOTE.... Eventually, we will create an Offtopic forum area once our forum is bigger, but as long as one does not exist yet, technology related posts are okay in General!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 05 Jan 2014, 19:12

I updated the first post with links to the live blog and stream since they are available now. The event starts in just under 4 hours. nVidia appears to be using the tagline "impossibly advanced" along with a picture of what looks like a GPU die, so I think it's highly likely we will see a Maxwell announcement.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2014, 00:34

Some good stuff, but the biggest news: 2560x1440 G-SYNC is coming during Q2-2014.
And six manufacturers are now behind this technology.