Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Humanist_Geek

Re: Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Post by Humanist_Geek » 24 Mar 2016, 02:02

Light23 wrote: I will begin selling these very soon! (The prototype screen has been improved on DRAMATICALLY.)
The viewing angle has no color shift or viewing cone area. It can be seen from any angle just as well as head on.
Cool! Are you selling the screens by themselves or with other hardware (such as laser projectors)?
Light23 wrote: On a side note:
NBC keeps taking down my clip. I contested the copyright claim but they reinstated it.
So rather than contesting it again and getting another copyright claim, I'm just gonna keep uploading again, again & again till everyone on the forums gets a chance to see it. I'll just re-edit my posts that had the link and update it with the new link.
(I'm re-uploading now...)
Why don't you just use a different clip, such as Big Buck Bunny?

Light23

Post by Light23 » 24 Mar 2016, 09:56

Humanist_Geek wrote: Cool! Are you selling the screens by themselves or with other hardware (such as laser projectors)?

I will be selling just the screens. ;)

My clip is back up.. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4jWdVHfO8k

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 25 Mar 2016, 08:33

Congrats man, this looks amazing. And good move on applying for a patent.

Light23

Post by Light23 » 25 Mar 2016, 09:01

RLBURNSIDE wrote:Congrats man, this looks amazing. And good move on applying for a patent.
Thanks brotherman!

RLBURNSIDE you have been a awesome, unselfish, creative motivator for me to finish this 'art project' so when the time comes for me to sell these screens I will give you 75% off of one of my screens if you wish to purchase one for yourself. ;)
I appreciate your creativity and cleverness dude. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6XCULhqw50
Last edited by Light23 on 26 Mar 2016, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 26 Mar 2016, 10:32

That's great, count me in on buying one. I live in a huge loft so I'll probably need a large size, like 138 inches. A discount will be a good thing.

I'm a huge fan of raster laser projection tech and am just waiting on the Sony being available here in Canada so that I can hack the %!@# out of it :) Screens like yours could enable simpler projector designs that don't need to de-speckle inside the projector and lose light or sharpness.

I really hope your business takes off and I actually think you should send samples of your screen material to Sony + other big companies like professional movie theaters (IMAX, Dolby Cinema, etc) to see if they'd like to license your tech. That could be a solid revenue stream for you.

Light23

Post by Light23 » 27 Mar 2016, 00:36

RLBURNSIDE wrote:That's great, count me in on buying one. I live in a huge loft so I'll probably need a large size, like 138 inches.

The Sony MP-CL1 can create a very watchable, colorful image ranging from around 6 inches to 80 inches in size, though as with all projectors, the light really begins to fall off at the upper end of that range, and pushing it further to its 120-inch limit isn’t advisable.

To test the screen in the video I posted I used a Showwx+ since it has more speckle than Sony's MP-CL1. I knew that when I optically modified the Sony completely, that it would have as much speckle as the Showwx+ in the end.
(Especially since I was refocusing the lasers for a sharper image.)

The scan lines are fixed on the Showwx+ and Sony, so the lines are impossible to control once you go up to larger sizes. Make the picture too big and even my special speckle free screen will not work on the scan lines anymore. (But it will still work on removing laser speckle at ANY size.)

At smaller laptop pc sizes (14" to 20" sizes) the scan lines of the showwx+ are not apparent due to my patent pending water-clear speckle canceling holographic layer incorporated into the screen material. This results in a brighter projector for any given laser output power without sacrificing sharpness or contrast.
(See pics above in previous post of the keyboard.)

Since the Sony is of higher resolution than the Showwx+, the scan lines are smaller, so with the Sony you will have more room to go larger but still a limit will be reached when the image size becomes 'too large' to adequately hide the scanlines.

My screen is meant to deal with laser speckle only but as an unintentional side effect hides scanlines inherent to the projector at smaller sizes. This makes the image brighter and the colors brighter as well.
My screen improves both brightness uniformity and resolution uniformity.

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 27 Mar 2016, 09:53

Good stuff. I'm interested in a larger size so that I don't have to get another one when a brighter projector than the Sony shows up. Plus, I already own a w1070 which I'd like to use at the same time, so it makes sense for me to use masking and/or my anamorphic lens on the Sony for some smaller screen, low persistence gaming goodness once in a while.

Have you measured the gain on your screen yet? I'm definitely interested in your anti-speckle tech since I intent to stack a couple Sonys (pseudo HDR, pseudo-higher bit depth, and of course superresolution) and try to boost their lumens, while waiting for a more powerful version to come out.

Regardless, there is always some amount of speckle with lasers even with anti-speckle tech so I'm excited to try your screen. Assuming of course you can make one that size! Would you ship it rolled up like most projector screens? I can build my own frame, just need the material. I'm also definitely curious how it would perform with a traditional DLP projector too (gain, off-axis viewing, contrast, etc).

Light23

Post by Light23 » 27 Mar 2016, 21:48

RLBURNSIDE wrote:Have you measured the gain on your screen yet?
If I want to do it myself, I am going to need a foot-lambert meter. Foot-lambert meters are necessary for motion picture screens since they integrate the dark and light (from the shutter) to get the necessary reading.In light of the price of the tools required (pun intended), I think I'll leave measuring the screen gain to the professionals. :lol:
In my case for comparison I can probably use a good reflective light meter. An incident meter would read the light falling on it, the reflective meter reads the light bouncing off the surface.

I tried a silver screen 2 years ago btw with the showwx+ but it was SO fubar. (Silver screens can't guarantee a perfect projection no matter what. Oh, and they also make laser speckling more noticeable.)

I know IMAX is using some special Kodak tech to counter laser speckling. (But it uses moving parts.)
RLBURNSIDE wrote:Would you ship it rolled up like most projector screens?
No its a rigid screen.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 27 Mar 2016, 22:42

Light23 wrote:
RLBURNSIDE wrote:Have you measured the gain on your screen yet?
If I want to do it myself, I am going to need a foot-lambert meter. Foot-lambert meters are necessary for motion picture screens since they integrate the dark and light (from the shutter) to get the necessary reading.In light of the price of the tools required (pun intended), I think I'll leave measuring the screen gain to the professionals. :lol:
In my case for comparison I can probably use a good reflective light meter. An incident meter would read the light falling on it, the reflective meter reads the light bouncing off the surface.
Plagiarizing other people's posts is not well tolerated on this forum.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/communi ... in.211978/
John Whittle wrote:If you want to do it yourself, you're going to need a foot-lambert meter...

...Foot-lambert meters are necessary for motion picture screens since they integrate the dark and light (from the shutter) to get the necessary reading. In your case for comparison you can probably use a good reflective light meter. An incident meter reads the light falling on it, the reflective meter reads the light bouncing off the surface.

Light23

Post by Light23 » 27 Mar 2016, 23:13

I searched for a way to measure gain.
Do you want me to leave this forum Spacedriver?
If so I will. No questions asked.
I like art. I like creativity. And this forum and the members here bring me great joy.
But its not worth upsetting people.
(Thats not why I am here.)
Im sorry if my post upset you.
I will leave this forum and post only on AVS.

Again sorry if I offended you Spacedriver. It was NOT my intention.
You guys have an awesome year! :)