Sony KD-43X85K 43” 4K 120hz Scaling Bug

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ChronicHedgehog

Sony KD-43X85K 43” 4K 120hz Scaling Bug

Post by ChronicHedgehog » 13 Aug 2023, 10:13

This TV has an older processor that isn’t capable of displaying 4k 120hz, so it throws away half the vertical resolution and does some clever scaling. However, there’s a scaling bug that makes it look subpar to awful depending on the content. I was able to fix it after updating the firmware and following these instructions over at RTINGS, although I only needed to use the “reset” command initially.

https://www.rtings.com/discussions/FkSK ... ng-monitor

I clearly remember the image quality snapping into place after deleting the 4026x2160 resolutions with CRU and restarting the graphics driver. I was able to verify this using the ReShade window, with the scaling bug text rendering looks awful, with the fix it looks almost as good as native 4k60.

See below for an example, my best guess is the TV is sampling from an incorrect resolution of 4026x2160

Strangely enough, I was forced to reformat and do a fresh Windows 11 install a month ago and the scaling fix carried over. As far as I know, CRU does nothing to the display itself. After switching HDMI modes on the TV a bunch of times to test settings the scaling bug is back. I believe switching into, or back from, “Dolby Vision” caused it.

Things I’ve tried, resetting the TV, restoring the TV, DDU, older graphics drivers, reformatting and reinstalling windows. Lots of different CRU settings, but I don’t really know what I’m doing there.