Black screen issues when G sync enabled

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
GlennyPlaysStuff

Re: Black screen issues when G sync enabled

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 01 Jan 2024, 10:13

Hi,

I'm having issues with my middle monitor going black for 1-2 seconds at a time, randomly.

If I disable gsync in the nvcp and adaptive sync on the monitors, the issue does not occur, but obviously, I want to keep gsync enabled.

I'm using 3 identical monitors, all Philips 329M1RV 32" 4k 144Hz monitors. All connected via DP using the supplied cables.

When I had just one monitor connected, I did not have this issue. Since adding the other 2, the original main monitor in the middle goes black, yet the other 2 stay operational.

Happens in full screen mode or windowed, and happens with or without nvidia surround as far as I can tell.

I read elsewhere about using CRU to set V rate to 50-144 instead of 48-144, but when I tried this, the whole screen goes black as soon as any full screen app is loaded (took me a while to work out how to reset it and get the screen going again.

Also, in nvidia surround mode, using CRU doesn't work, as the info for V rate, H rate and max pixel clock are already missing when you go to edit it, and I don't know what to put in their place.

I wonder if I'm just doing it wrong? Also, it has 2 restart.exe files, one just restart and one restart64, does it matter which one you use?

If I still can't get this to work, will changing to 422 mode potentially fix it for me too?

I'd really like to keep gsync working. It's not officially a gsync monitor, but has freesync premium, and still gives the option to enable gsycn in the nvcp when adaptive sync is enabled on the monitor, so I assume it should work? I've had previous freesync monitors where gsync worked.

Bought this specific model as I really like having the ambilight follow what's on the screen, especially in flight sim or things like that.....find it more immersive when my room behind the screens is painted the same colour as the action on screen.

If 422 mode does fix the black screen issue, is it much different for gaming to rgb or 444? Will I notice any difference while playing games?

I'm trying to get the most out of my setup, but the black screen issue is killing it.....only fix I've found so far is disabling gsync, but I'd like to try to get it working, but don't really understand all the different technologies, or their limitations.....is tripple 4k 144hx just too much to ask for? even with a strix 4090 OC, and 14900k?

what's the best way forward?

GlennyPlaysStuff

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 01 Jan 2024, 20:27

So, I tried just setting to 422....at first, thought it had worked, but then I got the black screen issue again....also, I could be wrong, but I felt like I was getting less clear/sharp images....like, some edges looked kind of....pixelated?

SO I tried the CRU thing again. This time, I set each screens individually, changing only the V rate from 48-144 to 50-144. THEN I set up nvidia surround, and then again used CRU to manually set the values for that "monitor" (the 3 x 4k screens combined to 1 surround monitor). The values in that section were totally blank, so I just copied the same values from the other screens, again changing the V rate to 50-144.

Hopefully that's done the trick. Now getting RGB 8 bit full, 144hz and 11520x2160 res with gsync enabled. Played about 45 minutes of rocket league and then about an hour in flight sim, not a single black screen.

I can't say it's fixed with 100% certainty, as the error did seem totally random before.....but using it for nearly 2 hours without issue is definitely a good start.

Assuming this HAS fixed it though.....is that it now? or do I need to ever re-apply the CRU trick? If so, how often/when should I do it again?

GlennyPlaysStuff

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 02 Jan 2024, 03:43

Still eventually got a black screen, although this time it was on the LEFT screen instead of my main centre screen....which isn't as bad.....still annoying though.

I've now raised V rate from 50-144 to 55-144, as I'd seen another post somewhere suggesting this value.

I still don't understand why or how this is supposed to fix it though? Frame rates don't seem to be anywhere near either the top or bottom end of that range. I limit frames in games to 120 if there's an option in game (or 140 via nvcp otherwise...although I've heard now to try 138).....even with a cap of 120 on 144hz setting, and where frame rate are ranging from 90-120 though, why should changing the vrate from 48-144 to 55-144 fix the black screen? I don't really understand the logic?

If it's NOT the vrate that will fix my issue......will reducing the refresh rate potentially work? How low should I go for a 11520x2160 resolution to ensure that the monitors don't use this DSC mode or whatever it is?

Sorry for all the questions, just really confused by all this.

GlennyPlaysStuff

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 02 Jan 2024, 09:09

Using the calculator on another PC forum:-

It seems like DP 1.4 WITHOUT DSC can only go up to 120.4Hz in RGB mode with 4k resolution. Changing to 422 makes that jump to 175.8Hz.

So I'm guessing that, because even changing the V rate using CRU, I still got occasional black screens, my issue is definitely related to the bug with NVidia drivers and DSC mode?

In which case, setting 422 is probably the only solution? I did try setting to 120Hz, which is just below the 120.4 limit, but I guess that occasionally if frames went a fraction over that (even with limiters in place, things can still go over slightly) it would then switch to DSC mode and cause the black screen?

One other thing I'm not quite clear on.....the limitations before DSC must kick in.....are they PER monitor/cable....or is there also a global limitation when using multiple screens and NVidia surround?

Just that, if I put the full resolution in to the calculator, 11520 x 2160, even with 422, max refresh rate would be 62.7Hz.....but am I correct in thinking that this would be if it was a SINGLE monitor via ONE cable? With 3 monitors, and 3 cables, I should get the same limitations per each single monitor as I would if I was using just one of the monitors?

GlennyPlaysStuff

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 02 Jan 2024, 20:16

Ok.....so, I tried even 422 with 98hz refresh rate, so well within the limitations of DP 1.4 without needing dsc.... still had random black screen.

Only solution is to turn gsync off....I guess even though it's free sync premium, it just doesn't work well with gsync.

Luckily.... I've just stumbled upon a solution for very smooth performance.

Gsync off, vsync use in game setting (but in game off seemed to work best), low latency mode on. Now on the monitor, turn off adaptive sync but turn ON low input lag. I have no idea what this setting IS or what it actually does.... but since switching to this setup, no black screens, 144hz, rgb, and it feels buttery smooth.... it feels the same as I had before with gsync enabled. No stutters, no tearing, just smooth gaming. Fingers crossed that it stays working now.