1440p 240hz monitors recommendations

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
welcomess

1440p 240hz monitors recommendations

Post by welcomess » 24 Nov 2023, 08:44

Hello there, a few years ago i was having a issue where I was calling it motion blur (it was ghosting) on the asus pg258q I think was the name since then I got a Samsung odyssey g7 240hz 1440p 27inch monitor and have felt the same ghosting issues in competitive games, mostly fortnite and csgo

I was just wanting some recommendations on a solid 240hz 1440p monitor I have read the IPS panels are regarded as better then VA when it comes to ghosting and was wondering if that could be the resolution to all my issues. All responses and recommendations are appreciated, I am based in New Zealand so I don’t have access to the wide range of monitors that are sold in the US but have a majority :)

Dalek

Re: 1440p 240hz monitors recommendations

Post by Dalek » 24 Nov 2023, 12:07

Kia ora! as ghosting is your main concern, these two options should be fast enough for you:

Option 1: The PG27AQDM (OLED) should do the trick: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MONAS7 ... z-Gaming-M - however, due to the subpixel layout, text will look less clear in comparison to LCD, IPS and VA, but there are workarounds that can be used such as increasing the scaling/font size. For some people it's a bother, some others not so much. Try it, and if you don't like it you can return it assuming pbtech has a good return policy.

Option 2: If you want an all around good monitor then the ASUS PG27AQN is your best bet. No issues with displaying text, excellent colours and also comes with ULMB 2 (backlight strobing) provided the monitor firmware is up to date and you are using an Nvidia graphics card. However, I am struggling to find an NZ retailer that provides it. So digi-direct or mwave will be your best bet. Not sure if they will ship it to NZ though.

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 25 Nov 2023, 03:33

Dalek wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 12:07
Kia ora! as ghosting is your main concern, these two options should be fast enough for you:

Option 1: The PG27AQDM (OLED) should do the trick: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MONAS7 ... z-Gaming-M - however, due to the subpixel layout, text will look less clear in comparison to LCD, IPS and VA, but there are workarounds that can be used such as increasing the scaling/font size. For some people it's a bother, some others not so much. Try it, and if you don't like it you can return it assuming pbtech has a good return policy.

Option 2: If you want an all around good monitor then the ASUS PG27AQN is your best bet. No issues with displaying text, excellent colours and also comes with ULMB 2 (backlight strobing) provided the monitor firmware is up to date and you are using an Nvidia graphics card. However, I am struggling to find an NZ retailer that provides it. So digi-direct or mwave will be your best bet. Not sure if they will ship it to NZ though.
Firstly thanks for the detailed responses and tailoring to my country’s needs!

Not too sure if I want to commit fully to oled technology in monitors since it’s such an early adaption and the pricing right now is a bit outrageous but still on the fence considering one.

A monitor I seen which is a new release is the MSI monitor https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MONMSI ... n8EALw_wcB

Was wondering if it would be a upgrade from my current monitor of the Samsung odyssey g7 which is a VA panel and going to a IPS panel may have less ghosting and maybe a bit more snappy response times and more fluid movement. Not too clued up on monitors but been doing a bit of research over the last week. Appreciate all responses!

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 25 Nov 2023, 13:55

welcomess wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 03:33
Dalek wrote:

Not too sure if I want to commit fully to oled technology in monitors since it’s such an early adaption and the pricing right now is a bit outrageous but still on the fence considering one.

A monitor I seen which is a new release is the MSI monitor https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MONMSI ... n8EALw_wcB

Was wondering if it would be a upgrade from my current monitor of the Samsung odyssey g7 which is a VA panel and going to a IPS panel may have less ghosting and maybe a bit more snappy response times and more fluid movement. Not too clued up on monitors but been doing a bit of research over the last week. Appreciate all responses!
No problem!

I looked at the MSI Optix G274QPX monitor too since it was one of the other available 240hz monitors on the site. Looking at this review: https://youtu.be/-9gB-b8PkQw?t=182 - it's average/ok, but it will have overshoot issues.

The main thing to do is to try out a monitor in person, give yourself enough time to get used to the monitor for your eyes to adjust, and see if it's for you. I can't say for sure if it's better since I have not tried a G7 or the G274QPX. But I do know VA is notorious for ghosting, so try the G274QPX, if it's good enough for you and you like it, then that's money saved and you're all set.

But if you don't like the G274QPX, then go for the PG27AQN if you can. If that isn't an option then go for the OLED. But as ghosting is your main concern, the OLED is your best bet. I know it's on the pricey side of things, but sadly you have to pay a good amount to get a monitor that isn't plagued with poor colours, ghosting, motion blur etc.

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 25 Nov 2023, 22:29

Dalek wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 13:55
welcomess wrote:
Dalek wrote:

No problem!

I looked at the MSI Optix G274QPX monitor too since it was one of the other available 240hz monitors on the site. Looking at this review: https://youtu.be/-9gB-b8PkQw?t=182 - it's average/ok, but it will have overshoot issues.

The main thing to do is to try out a monitor in person, give yourself enough time to get used to the monitor for your eyes to adjust, and see if it's for you. I can't say for sure if it's better since I have not tried a G7 or the G274QPX. But I do know VA is notorious for ghosting, so try the G274QPX, if it's good enough for you and you like it, then that's money saved and you're all set.

But if you don't like the G274QPX, then go for the PG27AQN if you can. If that isn't an option then go for the OLED. But as ghosting is your main concern, the OLED is your best bet. I know it's on the pricey side of things, but sadly you have to pay a good amount to get a monitor that isn't plagued with poor colours, ghosting, motion blur etc.
Thanks for the helpful response yet again, do you know if the Oled has a good set of measures to reduce the risk of burn in? I know OLED Monitors are very early adaptions and am sort of scared of the risk of burn in since I play a small amount of games which have a lot of static elements IE; Fortnite, Rocket league, League of legends etc. I have a LG c3 tv and have found the tools they have to reduce burn in are quite effective but not sure about the measure the Asus Rog has gone too.

Sadly the g274QPX I was looking at on pbtech is currently out of stock.. so looks like I will have to wait for hopefully a restock. It is a shame the LG 240hz 1440p monitors aren't stocked in NZ as they look very solid and would be a safe purchase.

I appreciate all the responses, thank you so much

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 26 Nov 2023, 00:05

welcomess wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 22:29
Dalek wrote:
welcomess wrote:
Dalek wrote:

No problem!

Thanks for the helpful response yet again, do you know if the Oled has a good set of measures to reduce the risk of burn in? I know OLED Monitors are very early adaptions and am sort of scared of the risk of burn in since I play a small amount of games which have a lot of static elements IE; Fortnite, Rocket league, League of legends etc. I have a LG c3 tv and have found the tools they have to reduce burn in are quite effective but not sure about the measure the Asus Rog has gone too.

Sadly the g274QPX I was looking at on pbtech is currently out of stock.. so looks like I will have to wait for hopefully a restock. It is a shame the LG 240hz 1440p monitors aren't stocked in NZ as they look very solid and would be a safe purchase.

No worries!

The PG27AQDM does have anti-burn in measures built into the monitor, it has the following features: screen saver, pixel cleaning, screen moving, adjust logo brightness and pixel cleaning cycle reminder. (https://youtu.be/R0AkfhZp70w?t=364) but there is no burn-in warranty, and the general warranty lasts 2 years as mentioned in the video above.

Burn-in is a tricky subject because it was an issue in the past with older LG models such as the C3 and CX series if I remember correctly. But it has apparently improved a lot and isn't too much of a concern as long as you're not putting the monitor through extreme use (e.g. no screen-saver, screen never turns off, maximum brightness, static content being there for a long time etc.)

That being said, I do think it's too early to say as to whether people should be paranoid about burn-in. We don't have long-term results yet.

Recently this video was released: https://youtu.be/Fa7V_OOu6B8?t=533 where they have a large variety of TVs and now monitors where they max out the brightness, leave them running 24/7 to see the effects of burn-in. Their results show that burn-in happened quickly, but again under extreme conditions.

My personal take is this: If you don't want to replace the monitor (assuming you're unlucky with burn-in) in 3-5 years and you don't plan to budget for a replacement, don't go with the OLED. Try to avoid static elements if possible such as auto-hiding the taskbar and things like that, use a screensaver if you're AFK for more than 10-15 mins, use the tools provided on the OSD menu of the monitor if need be and you should be ok. I would love to have an OLED monitor myself, but the text clarity not being as good as IPS or LCD is a dealbreaker for me. But usually increasing the font scaling makes the issue less noticable, but I like to keep things at 100% scaling.

Check out this forum post for more info: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12254

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 26 Nov 2023, 00:45

Dalek wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 00:05
welcomess wrote:
Dalek wrote:
welcomess wrote:

No problem!

No worries!

The PG27AQDM does have anti-burn in measures built into the monitor, it has the following features: screen saver, pixel cleaning, screen moving, adjust logo brightness and pixel cleaning cycle reminder. (https://youtu.be/R0AkfhZp70w?t=364) but there is no burn-in warranty, and the general warranty lasts 2 years as mentioned in the video above.

Burn-in is a tricky subject because it was an issue in the past with older LG models such as the C3 and CX series if I remember correctly. But it has apparently improved a lot and isn't too much of a concern as long as you're not putting the monitor through extreme use (e.g. no screen-saver, screen never turns off, maximum brightness, static content being there for a long time etc.)

That being said, I do think it's too early to say as to whether people should be paranoid about burn-in. We don't have long-term results yet.

Recently this video was released: https://youtu.be/Fa7V_OOu6B8?t=533 where they have a large variety of TVs and now monitors where they max out the brightness, leave them running 24/7 to see the effects of burn-in. Their results show that burn-in happened quickly, but again under extreme conditions.

My personal take is this: If you don't want to replace the monitor (assuming you're unlucky with burn-in) in 3-5 years and you don't plan to budget for a replacement, don't go with the OLED. Try to avoid static elements if possible such as auto-hiding the taskbar and things like that, use a screensaver if you're AFK for more than 10-15 mins, use the tools provided on the OSD menu of the monitor if need be and you should be ok. I would love to have an OLED monitor myself, but the text clarity not being as good as IPS or LCD is a dealbreaker for me. But usually increasing the font scaling makes the issue less noticable, but I like to keep things at 100% scaling.

Very in-depth response, also a good read too very informative thread you linked. Thank you.

I found a supplier which is selling the Asus PG279QM, is this monitor similar or the same as the previously recommended ASUS PG27AQN?
https://divinegon.co.nz/goods.php?id=72993

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 26 Nov 2023, 01:15

welcomess wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 00:45
Dalek wrote:
welcomess wrote:
Dalek wrote:

No problem!

No worries!

Very in-depth response, also a good read too very informative thread you linked. Thank you.

I found a supplier which is selling the Asus PG279QM, is this monitor similar or the same as the previously recommended ASUS PG27AQN?
The PG279QM was the one that came before the PG27AQN. It was one of the best monitors at the time. It won't be 'as quick' as the PG27AQN, nor will it include ULMB 2 but for it's price, definitely worth it. I would say go for it.

welcomess

Post by welcomess » 26 Nov 2023, 04:16

Dalek wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 01:15
welcomess wrote:
Dalek wrote:
welcomess wrote:

No worries!

The PG279QM was the one that came before the PG27AQN. It was one of the best monitors at the time. It won't be 'as quick' as the PG27AQN, nor will it include ULMB 2 but for it's price, definitely worth it. I would say go for it.
I guess for the price its really not worth it for a non oled monitor, may as well go for the OLED if I am considering spending 1.2k on a monitor. Either go for the Oled rog or the msi 240hz 1440p ips (if pbtech hopefully restock it)

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 26 Nov 2023, 09:40

welcomess wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 04:16
Dalek wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 01:15
welcomess wrote:
Dalek wrote:

No worries!

I guess for the price its really not worth it for a non oled monitor, may as well go for the OLED if I am considering spending 1.2k on a monitor. Either go for the Oled rog or the msi 240hz 1440p ips (if pbtech hopefully restock it)
If budget is an issue, go for the MSI one or the PG279QM. But if you can push your budget then definitely go for the OLED. Let me know your first and later impressions of your next monitor.