The problem with 1440p 240hz+ monitors on AMD - any solution?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
r0ach

The problem with 1440p 240hz+ monitors on AMD - any solution?

Post by r0ach » 16 Jan 2024, 07:22

The problem:

- Many new monitors such as the LG 27GR83Q have DSC turned on by default to enable 10 bit color.

- DSC gives you heavier/laggier feeling cursor movement and 8+2 bit temporal dithering seems to cause eye strain for many people, so this 'feature' is actually a huge double negative (supposedly dithering is disabled by default with both Nvidia & Intel drivers).

- If you manually set 8 bit instead of 10 bit color, DSC typically turns off on most monitors and dithering shouldn't be occurring on 8 bit mode either. However, many people such as myself install AMD drivers as "driver only" mode in order to have less input lag so there's no control panel to do this option.

Solution?

Does anyone know a registry entry to force 8 bit color which will solve both of these problems? 99% of my cards have been Nvidia so I don't know a lot about AMD, but it seems like you might be able to fix this problem by changing registry settings in the area below. I'm not sure of the exact dword/string values to use here though:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

It seems you can disable dithering with the following values but I don't think that's going to help force 8 bit color instead of default 10 bit in order to get rid of DSC:

"DP_DisableDither"=dword:00000001
"HDMI_DisableDither"=dword:00000001

Anyone know how to force 8 bit color if default is 10 bit to get rid of DSC? I see a string value named "10BitPixelFormat_NA" but not sure what this actually does.

lextra2

Re: The problem with 1440p 240hz+ monitors on AMD - any solution?

Post by lextra2 » 16 Jan 2024, 09:26

You can download this neat control panel replacement called MoreClockTool (MCT) which gives you all the useful settings without the bloat from AMD

igorslab_de /en/download-area-new-version-of-morepowertool-mpt-and-final-release-of-redbioseditor-rbe/

What I also recommend is to delete 10 bit & DSC support from your EDID, which you can do with CRU

monitortests_com /forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

HyperMatrix

Post by HyperMatrix » 22 Jan 2024, 18:18

lextra2 wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 09:26
You can download this neat control panel replacement called MoreClockTool (MCT) which gives you all the useful settings without the bloat from AMD

igorslab_de /en/download-area-new-version-of-morepowertool-mpt-and-final-release-of-redbioseditor-rbe/

What I also recommend is to delete 10 bit & DSC support from your EDID, which you can do with CRU

Hey. Question on removing DSC support. I'm still waiting for my AW3225QF to arrive and want to prepare for it ahead of time. It uses DSC and has no option in the OSD menu to disable it even if running at 120Hz. Ideally, I'd have wanted to be able to run 240Hz with DSC, but have DSC turned off when switching to 120Hz. Is the DSC flag per resolution? Or is it global? Because if it is per resolution then removing it for 120Hz would be an almost perfect solution to the problem.

I'm not looking to turn DSC off because of a fear of visual quality loss. I'm just addicted to running DLDSR + DLSS, which can't be done with DSC enabled.

Appreciate any input.

HyperMatrix

Post by HyperMatrix » 22 Jan 2024, 20:31

lextra2 wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 09:26

Looking over CRU a bit it appears the DSC support is tied to the interface (HDMI vs DP). So here's a hypothetical question. Do you think it would be possible to disable DSC on just one of those inputs, and plug both the DP1.4 and HDMI 2.1 cables from the PC to the monitor and just swap your preferred input based on whether you want to run 240Hz DSC or 120Hz non-DSC?