PSA for Laptop Gamers Re Stutter

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Custerly

PSA for Laptop Gamers Re Stutter

Post by Custerly » 29 Apr 2024, 15:01

Hi all,

I recently bought a 4070 equiped Lenovo Legion Go, and while I've been very impressed by the power this laptop brings to bear on modern games, I was haunted by incessant, regular stuttering in many games, manifesting as small stutters every second or two. My annoyance grew as I went through a laundry list of troubleshooting to no avail. I made a post here looking for help/advice, and recieved none I'm sad to say.

I recently found the culprit, and wanted to share this here in case anyone else has the same issue. It appears that "automatic display switching" within the 3D application settings on NVCP being turned on was causing the issue. I can only assume that rendering was momentarily swtiching to the iGPU and immediately back to the dGPU in certain games for some reason. After turning the setting off, the issue has gone away in every game I'd previously tested. I don't recall ever setting this to "on", so I assume this is a default setting for some reason.

Anyways, I hope this info can be helpful to someone else.