LCD display question

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
pcenthusiast92

LCD display question

Post by pcenthusiast92 » 06 May 2024, 21:51

Hello, is there anything I can do on LCD displays to reduce motion blur? here in my country is very hard to get a nice monitor as there are more important things to spend as food for example (Venezuela), for this reason was asking if there is a solution to motion blur?

Thing is that on every single game that has multiples ongoing things in the screen procs the motion blur, but mostly horizontally, a good example are the mmorpg or rpg games where people is moving from left to right, or right to left, their names gets blurred I cannot focus on them, even if they are walking and barely moving, I noticed that it is less blurry when the objects or animation are vertical

I already tried different configurations as: Nvidia vsync on/off/ fast/adaptive, in-game fps limiter, nvidia limiter, plus scanline-sync +riva fps limiter, and is not helping me. Tried VGA+HDMI cables, and 4 lcd monitors with 2ms/5ms/20ms 60-75 hertz.

If I remember when I was more young I never had this sensation of visual lag, or blurryness dunno if that was because I had an old crt of 17 inch.

I read something about black frames insertion but that's only for console/emulators right?

PS: Wish I had a camera at least of 100frames or 200 frames to record my games and show you. Cause this also happens by watching streamers, also I feel like I have input lag visually, not on the way I press a key in my keyboard, no,no. is like games are accelerated somehow? like game is faster than me, and at the same time I get visually tired, I don't know what to do I feel miserable and sad, cannot enjoy anything I play, I cannot be competitive not even in games like Lost Ark where you learn boss mechanism, this is painful, cannot react faster, sorry for my grammar as usual.

Thanks in advance.

Skyy

Re: LCD display question

Post by Skyy » 06 May 2024, 22:45

Black Frame Insertion can indeed help with motion-clarity and there are ways to work with it outside emulators and old games but you need the double amount of Hz that your game has fps. So for 60fps games you would need 120hz and for 30fps games 60hz is enough but for these software solutions you would need your framerate to be pretty locked without dips.

pcenthusiast92

Post by pcenthusiast92 » 07 May 2024, 10:12

Skyy wrote:
06 May 2024, 22:45
Black Frame Insertion can indeed help with motion-clarity and there are ways to work with it outside emulators and old games but you need the double amount of Hz that your game has fps. So for 60fps games you would need 120hz and for 30fps games 60hz is enough but for these software solutions you would need your framerate to be pretty locked without dips.
Oh thanks so much for you comment, but how can I see whats is the maximum frames of a game?
cause I try my best to get a steady frametime, but I still getting hiccups of 50ms like a vertical bar appears in the frametime like this

----> | <--- something like that
https://prnt.sc/S8vCo8oMMpPo

Skyy

Post by Skyy » 07 May 2024, 14:18

pcenthusiast92 wrote:
07 May 2024, 10:12
Skyy wrote:
Oh thanks so much for you comment, but how can I see whats is the maximum frames of a game?
cause I try my best to get a steady frametime, but I still getting hiccups of 50ms like a vertical bar appears in the frametime like this

Unless a game has a cap programmed in games will run as fast as your hardware allows, except for when you enable V-Sync. From the screenshot I assume you use RTSS?

pcenthusiast92

Post by pcenthusiast92 » 07 May 2024, 20:07

Skyy wrote:
07 May 2024, 14:18
pcenthusiast92 wrote:
07 May 2024, 10:12
Skyy wrote:

Unless a game has a cap programmed in games will run as fast as your hardware allows, except for when you enable V-Sync. From the screenshot I assume you use RTSS?
Yes I use RTSS.

pcenthusiast92

Post by pcenthusiast92 » 10 May 2024, 14:54

Finally I can show to people what I feel my computer

this video shows it 100%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9TgNFu1l3Y
minute 2:36

Thats how I see things super blurry.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 11 May 2024, 11:44

Are there any CRT Monitors in Venezuela?
You may be able to find an old cheapo PC CRT Monitor that will outperform most LCDs.
No motion problems with those(so long as you match frame rate to refresh rate and so long as you set 75hz/85hz refresh rate to reduce flicker).
Or you could find a cheap used Plasma TV which usually do about 4-5ms MPRT(equivalent to 200hz/240hz sample-and-hold display) wih some phosphor trails in dark transitions, though those do get hot and consume a ton of power.
A CRT is preferred but Plasma is decent too.

It will be a while before motion problems get resolved with current display tech. BFI/Strobing is still a niche feature that is usually only available in more expensive displays and implementations are still spotty and vary from model to model.