We need sub-millisecond persistence (<1ms) strobe backlights

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

We need sub-millisecond persistence (<1ms) strobe backlights

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 20:42

I made a good reply on Techreport that got voted up +15, so I think I should crosspost it here, for interesting reading:
Mark Rejhon wrote:
Interesting, but gimmicky technology. If you need slow-mo capture to notice a significant "difference" then it is not worth worrying about unless you are one of those anal-retentive videophile types that must have perfect image fidelity no matter the cost.

Tearing is over-exaggerated. You only notice it when you pan the screen around like an ADHD, caffeine junkie or you are having some kind of seizure. Even if these cases, it is a you blink and you'll miss it type of deal.
Wrong. Actually, backlight strobing is a light-output issue, not a clarity issue.

The problem is the strobe lengths (1ms-2.5ms) are longer than a short-persistence CRT (<1ms). There is not enough light output in the backlight in order to shorten the strobes.

Several newer TN LCD's are already able to transition pixels fast enough to be virtually finished before the next refresh cycle. Motion blur on a good strobe-backlight LCD is dictated by the strobe length, and not by the LCD pixel transition speed. Pixel transition speed limits show up as a faint crosstalk effect (like 3D crosstalk, but as a chasing ghost). On the better LCD's, the crosstalk is not visible.

Since I test these for Blur Busters, I have all 4 monitors (several LightBoost monitors, an Eizo FG2421 with Turbo240, a GSYNC monitor NVIDIA sent, and a beta BENQ XL2720Z with BENQ Blur Reduction, that BENQ sent) .

Using my oscilloscope, here are the strobe flash lengths:

-- LightBoost. Strobe flash length 1ms to 2.5ms. (usually 1.4ms to 2.4ms range)
-- EIZO Turbo240, found in FG2421. Strobe flash length 2.3ms
-- ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) on GSYNC monitors. Strobe flash length 2.0ms.
-- BENQ Blur Reduction in Z-Series (XL2720Z, XL2411Z, XL2420Z). Strobe flash length 2.0ms

So you can see, the strobe lengths mimic medium-persistence CRT phosphor.
We need future strobe-backlight monitors that have shorter flash lengths (e.g. 0.5ms strobe flash, once per refresh, and shorter), without the screen becoming dark. We also need ability to strobe at lower refresh rates (e.g. strobing at 75Hz), since LightBoost is like a CRT forced to only work at 100-120Hz. Motion on Impulse-driven displays always looks best at stroberate=refreshrate, and sometimes GPU's are not powerful enough to allow 120fps@120Hz.

The side effect of slow LCD pixel transitions are already negligible on ULMB and the newer (1ms) LightBoost monitors, while it is more of an issue on the Eizo Turbo240. It shows up as a faint crosstalk between refreshes (<1% intensity -- sometimes only 1 color off -- much like greyscale 254 versus greyscale 255) since the black period hides most of the LCD pixel transitions now. This is lost in the visual clutter of game motion. Motion clarity noticeably improves with shorter strobe lengths (Example: LightBoost 10% versus 50% versus 100% when viewing fast-panning motion -- shorter strobe lengths are pretty noticeably clearer).

My tests confirm that motion clarity is bottlenecked by light output because the shorter you flash, the darker the picture becomes. CRT phosphor shine insanely bright (as much as ~5000cd/m2) for the short duration of illumination, often for less than 1ms. LED backlights can't shine that brightly, so strobed monitors compensate, by using a persistence compromise (~2ms flash)

Laboratory tests have already shown that there is no limits to motion clarity on strobe-backlight LCD's -- once manufacturers build in brighter strobe backlights, they can flash the backlights more briefly, to mimic a shorter-persistence CRT. Tests confirm that motion clarity is proportional to persistence (1ms of strobe length translates to 1 pixel of motion blurring during 1000 pixels/second motion).

Millions of dollars of engineering went into LCD's that finally could finish refreshing before the next refresh, because of something called stereoscopic 3D. During 2010-2011, they did not do a good job, but during 2012-2013, with the advent of strobe backlights, finally, 3D crosstalk fell almost below human detectability threshold (on some of the best LCD's), and this automatically ended the era of "pixel transitions are the motion blur limiting factor". So your talk is silly.

The motion clarity limitations is no longer caused by the LCD pixel transition speed, once most pixel transition is complete before the next refresh cycle. The LCD pixel transition can be slow, but as long as it's in total darkness, and the pixel transition is practically finished (>99%+) before the next strobe. When inter-refresh crosstalk is this faint, it gets lost in the noise floor of detailed imagery, while the motion clarity stands out (e.g. fine details during fast panning motion). The pixel transition speed became a moot issue once the inter-refresh crosstalk fell below a threshold -- because motion clarity is dictated by strobe flash length. And strobe flash length can be shorter than pixel transitions. The strobe flash just has to be timed on the clearest, fully refreshed LCD.

I, and several others, confirmed this. Do you have an oscilloscope, photodiode, and a high speed camera like I do? Do you have all four under the same roof: Eizo Turbo240, BENQ XL2720Z Blur Reduction, LightBoost, and GSYNC's ULMB -- like I do? Thusly, I call-out your pixel-transition-speed limitation myth (at least for newer LightBoost and the ULMB models), since some of those models actually push the inter-refresh crosstalk finally below human perceptibility thresholds for nearly all combinations of GtG transitions: Which means darn near completely clean refreshes for strobing.

Given a sufficiently bright backlight, LCD can be made to have far less motion blur than even short-persistence CRT's. LED's can be flashed very fast, so it's a matter of cost (engineering enough LED brightness) in order to achieve a sufficiently-bright ultra-low-persistence strobe backlight (Say, 0.1ms for starters).

But you are right, CRT's still produce great colors and unbeatable blacks. No argument.
The bottom line is, over the long term, we need strobe backlights to eventually become shorter persistence (less than 1ms). I can tell apart 1ms and 2ms persistence (See LightBoost 10% vs 50% vs 100%), which manifests itself as 1 pixel of motion blurring during 1000 pixels/second motion versus 2 pixels of motion blurring during 1000 pixels/second motion.

But, LightBoost 10% is quite dark, which illustrates the light-output problem during short strobes. And when motion runs fast enough (e.g. TestUFO Panning Map Test, I begin to see the limitations of 1ms persistence: It manifests itself as about 3 pixel of motion blurring during 3000 pixels/second.)

Certainly this is a far cry from regular 60Hz LCD's (16.7ms persistence even for a 2ms GtG response LCD), which creates about 50 pixels of motion blurring during 3000 pixels/second motion. However, 1ms persistence should not be the final frontier, especially as we go to 4K. Fast flick mouse turns at several thousand pixels per second panning. 4K displays panning at several thousand pixels per second panning. VR goggles head turning at several thousand pixels per second panning.

We need to see persistence fall towards the sub-millisecond league within a few years. Either in OLED or strobed LCD's.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chickenfeed

Re: We need sub-millisecond persistence (<1ms) strobe backli

Post by Chickenfeed » 07 Jan 2014, 22:23

Got to love shutting down those non believers 8-)

I cringe every time I see someone getting shot down on forums when seeking higher refresh and framerates (ie, "LOL why do you need more than 30fps? Humans can't see more than 30fps! *insert more uneducated bull crap here*")

So all that said by the sounds of it we'd need back lights 3x as bright as what's used in current lightboost displays (@ 10% light boost) *just* to maintain that same low brightness level and reduce the persistence below half a ms. Now lets do that but at 100% lightboost brightness equivalence :D

Personally I notice the difference between the longer and shorter strobe length and don't mind the dimmer back light so assuming a solid compromise could be made in the not to distance future, that would rock (such as the aforementioned sub 1ms strobe but at 2x the current 1.4ms brightness)
Feedanator 6.0
CASE:FT02B|PSU:AX850|CPU:i7 4770K|Mobo:Z87 Pro|Ram:8x2GB GSkill 2400|GPU:SLI GTX 780 3GB|HD:M4 128GB+256GB/F1 1TB|SOUND:Titanium HD,PC350|LCD:VG248QE/QH270-lite|OS:Win8 x64 Pro|INPUT:SS Sensei /w HD9/DasUltSilent|COOLING:H80

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2014, 23:11

Chickenfeed wrote:I cringe every time I see someone getting shot down on forums when seeking higher refresh and framerates (ie, "LOL why do you need more than 30fps? Humans can't see more than 30fps! *insert more uneducated bull crap here*")
Just point them to www.testufo.com

I've been busting 30fps-vs-60fps since 1993 (MOTION.ZIP for MS-DOS, 1993).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 08 Jan 2014, 01:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
My tests confirm that motion clarity is bottlenecked by light output because the shorter you flash, the darker the picture becomes. CRT phosphor shine insanely bright (as much as ~5000cd/m2) for the short duration of illumination, often for less than 1ms. LED backlights can't shine that brightly, so strobed monitors compensate, by using a persistence compromise (~2ms flash)
Wow that's an insane figure (5000 cd/m2). What incredible chemistry. Do you mind sharing where you got that figure?

btw, I've been trying to find information on the afterglow phase of the temporal decay function of modern CRT phosphors. Very difficult to find, however. I do know with the FW900 (which has the SMPTE-C phosphors), the afterglow is quite extended, which leads to a faint, low luminance, motion trail.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2014, 01:16

spacediver wrote:btw, I've been trying to find information on the afterglow phase of the temporal decay function of modern CRT phosphors.
You should measure the curve then come up with a simple formula for the curve-fitting.

I think a very rough approximation is the halflife curve. Say, you've got a 0.2ms halflife for phosphor decay -- it takes 0.2ms to dim to half brightness, another 0.2ms to dim to quarter brightness, and then so on. However, the decay halflife seems to lengthen after some time has passed, so you might have to add another algebraic variable to a decay function. I guess I gotta brush up on my algebra.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2014, 01:19

spacediver wrote:Wow that's an insane figure (5000 cd/m2). What incredible chemistry. Do you mind sharing where you got that figure?
I read it in more than one source elsewhere, and it made a lot of sense. A CRT television at 200cd/m2 (a feasible value for a living room TV), using a 1ms phosphor decay, would need to output well over 3000cd/m2 at the beam dot to maintain that average 200cd/m2 brightness.

Obviously, you never get 3000cd/m2 for the whole square meter, just only at the beam dot (and freshly scanned area), for the instantaneous moment. Over the whole refresh cycle, it averages out, 200cd/m2. So therein lies the light-output challenge for strobe backlights.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 08 Jan 2014, 02:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote: I think a very rough approximation is the halflife curve. Say, you've got a 0.2ms halflife for phosphor decay -- it takes 0.2ms to dim to half brightness, another 0.2ms to dim to quarter brightness, and then so on. However, the decay halflife seems to lengthen after some time has passed, so you might have to add another algebraic variable to a decay function. I guess I gotta brush up on my algebra.
The chemistry of phosphor excitation is too complex to be modeled by a simple exponential decay function. There's a good paper that actually measured and modeled the decay function of a set of P22 phosphors:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ieee02-optical.pdf

If I'm reading figure 3 correctly, it takes on the order of 100 ms for the blue and green phosphors to decay.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:You should measure the curve then come up with a simple formula for the curve-fitting.
Wanna lend me your photodiode? :p
Chief Blur Buster wrote:I read it in more than one source elsewhere, and it made a lot of sense. A bright CRT television at 200cd/m2 (a feasible value for a living room TV during daytime), using a 1ms phosphor decay, would need to output well over 3000cd/m2 at the beam dot to maintain that average 200cd/m2 brightness.
Obviously, you never get 3000cd for the whole square meter, just only at the beam dot.
Yea it would be interesting to do the math. You'd need to model the decay function, see how much of it is allowed to transpire before being "refreshed". You then figure that the human visual system, or a luminance meter, averages out that portion of the function into, say 200 cd/m2, and you might then be able to figure out the peak instantaneous luminance.

Figure 3 in the linked paper may offer some clues as to the peak luminance, but it's tricky making sense of the units, given that they're in radiant intensity per volt per second). I'll see if I can find more info, I'm curious!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 08 Jan 2014, 05:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote: -- ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) on GSYNC monitors. Strobe flash length 2.0ms.
-- BENQ Blur Reduction in Z-Series (XL2720Z, XL2411Z, XL2420Z). Strobe flash length 2.0ms

I thought their strobes would be shorter (like 1ms) :cry: .

These days I was also thinking about higher resolution monitors. Playing a game, if something moves from the left to the right of the screen (let's say half the screen per second), a 4k monitor would have 2x motion blur than a 1080p monitor, as the image would have to travel through double the pixels. The strobe length should be halved to mantain the same quantity of blurred pixels per % of screen movement. The good thing is the pixels are smaller in a 4k monitor, if it has the same size as a 1080p monitor.
This would apply to the new ASUS 1440p G-Sync monitor.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2014, 11:03

masterotaku wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: -- ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) on GSYNC monitors. Strobe flash length 2.0ms.

I thought their strobes would be shorter (like 1ms) :cry: .
I have some good news and bad news.

Good news: The strobe length is adjustable in the new firmware of the BENQ XL2720Z. (because of my prodding of BENQ).
Bad news: Going well below 2ms makes the screen extremely dim (i.e. 50cd/m2 or less).

Neo

Post by Neo » 09 Jan 2014, 01:44

Dolby's HDR Dolby Vision system is pushing the number of LEDs not just for micro-dimming contrast but also for total luminance output. This is a good example of convergence as the raw resource of massive LED lighting headroom can also be used for strobing. Appropriate valuation of trade offs (light/speed) can make these new technologies go complete singularity. (meaning things could be advancing really quickly and we might not even know it :p) I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese company offered an 8K holographic viewscreen with smellovision for $500 within 2 years. ;)

ps I've noticed a pattern. New meme?

4K = 4096x2160 or 3840x2160
4K = 12-bit (4096 steps)
4K = 4000 nits (cd/m2)

4K = 4000 Hz (0.25ms) ???? 8-)

pps Who here water cools their system? Would you blink twice at water cooling your display? :o

Btw, I would have totally used at least 2 f-bombs if I had written that reply at Techreport.

EDIT: would scanning LED LCDs or even OLEDs have enough brightness for the Oculus Rift form factor considering the close distance to the eye and dark interior?