New openMSX release with black frame insertion

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
cpharlok

New openMSX release with black frame insertion

Post by cpharlok » 13 Jan 2014, 17:00

Just for the emulator & Lightboost enthusiasts: a new stable release of the superb MSX emulator, openmsx, now includes the black frame insertion option for smooth scrolls and sprites. Just grab it if you like from http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: New openMSX release with black frame insertion

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jan 2014, 18:35

cpharlok wrote:Just for the emulator & Lightboost enthusiasts: a new stable release of the superb MSX emulator, openmsx, now includes the black frame insertion option for smooth scrolls and sprites. Just grab it if you like from http://openmsx.sourceforge.net/
That's great news!

So far, we have WinUAE (2.6.0) and certain versions of MAME that can do software based black frame insertion to do 60Hz strobing on a 120Hz monitor (this can also simulate 60Hz LightBoost out of 120Hz LightBoost too).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

cpharlok

Re: New openMSX release with black frame insertion

Post by cpharlok » 14 Jan 2014, 12:10

Yes, that was my goal when I experienced for first time the lightboost 2d "hack": apply it to emus as old school sprites suffer a lot from LCD ghosting and thats ugly and eyes-unfriendly. So Arcade, Amiga and MSX, my childhood systems, are now properly supporting it. Nice! I hope more systems add the lightboost option (last time I tried with SNES ports with no luck).