VSYNC OFF (without fps cap) vs VSYNC OFF (with fps cap)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
marci_g9x

VSYNC OFF (without fps cap) vs VSYNC OFF (with fps cap)

Post by marci_g9x » 15 Jan 2014, 16:52

Hi!

I know game engines work differently so let's take just one game: Battlefield 4.

When i play with Vsync off and with uncapped fps (gametime.maxvariablefps 0) i feel heavy mouse lag. I know that the game has a 10hz tick rate which cause lag but, when i cap my fps below the average, it's super responsive (even at 30 fps). If i enable Vsync with capped fps, the responsiveness of the mouse is still better than with Vsync off without fps cap. So my question is, why is this happening in games and do AMD cards have lower lag?

I always preferred mouse responsiveness than motion clarity, so G-Sync is useless for me unless, they can remove these lags in Vsync off.

nimbulan

Re: Vsync off without fps cap VS Vsync off with fps cap

Post by nimbulan » 15 Jan 2014, 17:24

What are your system specs? The only reason I can see why you would be getting mouse lag with vsync off is that the game is using 100% of all your CPU cores and starving other processes (such as your mouse software.) How does it behave with vsync on?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2014, 17:46

nimbulan wrote:The only reason I can see why you would be getting mouse lag with vsync off is that the game is using 100% of all your CPU cores and starving other processes (such as your mouse software.)
That's one cause.

There could be other causes, such as starving or slows down the game tick thread which then runs more lagged, resulting in less fresh input reads (mouse input, keyboard input, etc).

Other game developers who read these forums, can chime in!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Jan 2014, 18:18

Note that the tickrate of 10 in BF doesn't mean you get input lag. That's just how many times the game state is synced with the server. Input happens at whatever FPS you get.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2014, 18:21

RealNC wrote:Note that the tickrate of 10 in BF doesn't mean you get input lag. That's just how many times the game state is synced with the server. Input happens at whatever FPS you get.
True, the game can be programmed that way. But who says all game programmers, develop it that way? -- I have a strong suspicion that sometimes gunshot trigger behavior appears tied into the tickrate in certain games. Probably not Battlefield 4, since a 10Hz tickrate would imply frequent >100ms input lag situations, which fortunately does not happen. :D

As an extreme example -- look at Skyrim for example. Its physics is so hopelessly tied to the frame rate; that glitches occurs when you try to run at frame rates above 60fps. So, obviously, not all games are programmed as framerate-flexible as they should be...

I should do some high speed camera input lag tests with different forced tickrate settings in some games that have customizable tick rates, and what latency changes occurs in which games.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Jan 2014, 18:54

Counter-Strike 1.6 might be interesting to test this out. It supports tickrates up to 1000Hz (if your computer and OS setup can provide that; on Windows you used to need a utility running in the background that would put Windows into 1000Hz interrupt timer mode.) Newer CS games only go up to 128Hz, AFAIK.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

marci_g9x

Post by marci_g9x » 16 Jan 2014, 03:41

When the GPU uses 99% i feel the lag. So, when i cap the fps the gpu usage drop and everything is fine. I think GPU rendering is holding back because it's slow. Btw specs: 2500K, GTX 560 Ti

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 16 Jan 2014, 14:53

marci_g9x wrote:When the GPU uses 99% i feel the lag. So, when i cap the fps the gpu usage drop and everything is fine. I think GPU rendering is holding back because it's slow. Btw specs: 2500K, GTX 560 Ti
You might want to check your setting in the nVidia control panel for Maximum Pre-rendered Frames. Turn that down to 1 and see if it helps.