MSI GTX 970 stuttering on second screen (U2713hm)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rb03

MSI GTX 970 stuttering on second screen (U2713hm)

Post by rb03 » 02 Jun 2015, 17:39

Hi there,

I've been debugging this problem for over a month now and it seems to have gotten the better of me so I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide some insight into this problem.

My problem is I have 2 1440p screens, the dell ultrasharps u2713hm. They were both connected using DVI and the secondary screen (regardless of which monitor I used, whichever one was set as the non-primary monitor) always stuttered slightly when playing videos (regardless of the player).

On the MSI forum I was told this could be a bandwidth issue and I should use display port instead. Since the card only has 1 display port and my monitors can't be daisy chained, I was told the recommended setup was one DP and one DVI. No luck.

Over at http://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter, I experienced different results with each setup. When using DVI * 2, the secondary screen would always sync at 30hz, and the primary screen at 60hz. With DP (primary) and DVI (secondary) the secondary screen would fluctuate between 40-60hz and always fail to sync.

Unfortunately MSI makes the ordeal of repairing/exchanging cards an extremely long one and it's something I'd like to avoid if possible. I'm attempting to identify the problem so that I can a) get around it or b) fix it.

I realise this is a slightly long post so thank you if you've read this far. If you want to know any more info please do let me know.

Any help is much appreciated.