Windows Freeze When Minimizing/Maximizing

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
GeneralJefe

Windows Freeze When Minimizing/Maximizing

Post by GeneralJefe » 15 Jul 2015, 18:13

Hello,

To boot, I'll start by listing the hardware/software I've got:

CPU: Intel 3570K
Mobo: Sabertooth Z77
GPU: GTX 680
RAM: 16GB

I recently got a new monitor, and swapped it out for my primary, which is when this issue began. I actually found another thread describing this exact scenario, however he received no response and I figure if I describe the problem with a bit more detail, we may get a solution.

Soon after swapping out monitors (a 1920x1200 @ 60Hz connected via DVI for a 1920x1080 G-Sync monitor @ 144Hz connected via DisplayPort), I pretty quickly began to notice windows not actually don't what I tell them to, or at least, appearing as if they weren't. When I minimize a window, it leaves an odd after-image, as if it froze just after it started minimizing. It does actually minimize, and you can interact with whatever was behind it, however there is a ghost image left behind. This also happens when maximizing windows, but instead you only see the desktop.

This happens randomly with all programs from what I can tell. Oddly enough, it seems to "right" itself whenever I click on the task bar, the top edge (where the mouse changes to the extend arrow) specifically. Also, it doesn't fix itself if I just click on the task bar, it must be exactly where I described in order for it to work.

After swapping monitors, I re-installed video drivers, unsure of whether or not it was actually necessary. Besides that, I'm not sure what else to try. I had no issue with either monitor prior to connecting the new one, and now it happens on both.

The only setup I've done with this new monitor is enabling G-Sync in the Nvidia Control Panel and adjusting colors with SoftMCCS.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
Here's a perfect example.

Edit 2:
It seems that disabling g-sync in windowed mode via the Nvidia Control panel stops the problem, however I'm now without g-sync in any application that isn't running in fullscreen mode.

Nvidia did release a hot-fix driver for this problem (353.38), however this driver didn't seem to fix the problem in my experience.