Net Neutrality compromised in the USA? [offtopic]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SS4

Net Neutrality compromised in the USA? [offtopic]

Post by SS4 » 23 Jan 2014, 15:17

Well apparently it has been thrown out the window in the US . . .
We are still fighting against it in Canada:

https://openmedia.ca/blog/why-canadians ... nternet-us

But all hope is not lost because apparently, its not the real problem and just another moneygrab by ISPs :

http://www.cringely.com/2014/01/21/net- ... nt-matter/

So any thoughts or concerns?

I still hope we can avoid it in Canada but if what i read in the second link is true than we shouldnt care about it?
So yeah, not all hope is lost for you US resident at least!
Seems like the US gets the short end of the stick in everything internet related lately, transparency/privacy, net neutrality.
North america already has a very poorly competitive internet pricing model compare to the rest of the planet, we don't need more crap lol

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Net Neutrality compromised in the USA?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 17:44

Gentlemen and ladies --

An Offtopic Lounge (aka UFO Abduction Lounge) is about to be created by February once General exceeds 1000 posts.

Just so y'all know.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SS4

Post by SS4 » 23 Jan 2014, 18:06

Well you told me to post off topic here lol.
I thought ppl here would care about this since we all use the internet right :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 18:16

Offtopic relative to display but still in technology -- e.g. keyboard, mice, photos of computer corners, etc.

But, I did say offtopic rules in General won't be enforced yet (As of January 2014) -- so don't worry, I won't close this specific thread this time -- unless it explodes in controversy, breaks the rules or somebody starts throwing banana cream pies at each others' face. If too many people start posting mostly non-gadget/tech-related threads, I'll be forced to deal with refining forum rules or simply creating an Offtopic Forum early. (don't get ideas, buddy! ;) )
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shadman

Post by shadman » 24 Jan 2014, 01:08

Hey, America!

whoops

Seriously though, most people won't see the effects directly affect them. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't still be concerning. I wish more people cared, or were educated on matters like this.

Neo

Re: Net Neutrality compromised in the USA? [offtopic]

Post by Neo » 24 Jan 2014, 12:03

Chief Blur Buster = CBB = Corporate Buddy Bucks. Now you know! Serial!

nimbulan

Re: Net Neutrality compromised in the USA? [offtopic]

Post by nimbulan » 24 Jan 2014, 16:28

SS4 wrote:But all hope is not lost because apparently, its not the real problem and just another moneygrab by ISPs :
But that is exactly the problem. The ISPs will be free to charge extra for preferential service both to the media companies (passing those costs onto the customers) and directly to the customers themselves. We will most likely end up paying more money to get the same level of service we have now. Can you imagine being forced to buy a higher tier of internet service just so you can play multiplayer games without lag? And being charged extra again so Netflix will stream in real time? All without actually increasing the speed of your connection.

Of course all this is speculation at the moment, but I would not put behavior like this past any of the major communication companies in the US.