(BenQ xl2411z VS LG 24gm77-b) + Some questions

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
salawow

(BenQ xl2411z VS LG 24gm77-b) + Some questions

Post by salawow » 23 Nov 2015, 17:53

Hi ! Fell free to skip to TLDR if you don't feel like reading it all.

Long short story, i want a new monitor to replace my old acer x223w, (which is a 22" 60hz TN monitor). I really enjoy the vibrant colors on it, but i wanted something bigger, and 1080p instead of 1680x1050.

Initially i wanted a 27" 60hz, so i tried multiple monitors (2 IPS, 1 PLS, 2 VA, 1 TN) and ended up returning every one of them. I figured out i can't stand IPS/PLS glow, the VA have way too much ghosting, and the only TN i tried (benq RL2755HM) had horrible colors even after trying to calibrate it to my liking.

So, TN still seem to be my only option (hopefully i'll be able to find one with colors as good as my current monitor). And since i need a TN, i think i better get a 144hz one. However, i can't afford any 27" 144hz, so i'll have to get a 24".

Ruling out the ones that are beyond my budget, and the ones that use PWM (I'm very sensitive to PWM, getting headache after 30 minutes), the only ones remaining are:

BenQ xl2411z/xl2420z (i don't think i need displayport, is there any other reason i should consider the xl2420z over the xl2411z ?)
LG 24mg77-b

From the reviews i checked, the LG has been praised for it's colors and contrast, and i never read anything negative about that one. The BenQ on the other hand seem to have been pointed out many times for ugly colors and bad contrast.

So from what i read, i'd choose the LG. But there is one thing bothering me, the fact that nobody seem to speak about it on forums. In the low-budget 24" 144hz monitor, people only speak about the Asus and the Benq, never about the LG. Why is that ? Is there something wrong about the LG that won't show up in reviews ?

TLDR;

LG 24gm77-b VS BenQ xl2411z. The LG recieved much more positive reviews (about colors and contrast mostly). Is there any reason i should get the BenQ instead ?

Additional questions:

I read a bit about what they call "motion blur reduction", which insert black frames to trick the eyes and reduce the perception of motion blur. Since i'm very sensitive to flickering, i can't use a monitor that has PWM more than 30 minutes without getting a headache, does it mean i will suffer the same from motion blur reduction ?

Now a question that bothers me about ghosting. Let's take for exemple a 60hz VA monitor that is advertised as 5ms response time. Reliable test/reviews mesured 15ms response time instead. Since a 60hz monitor refresh itself every 16ms, why do i see a huge trail behind the UFO in the UFO ghosting test ? Shouldn't the pixels have completed thier colors change before the next frame ?

Thanks !