60-80fps on a 144hz monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
raknarius

Re: 60-80fps on a 144hz monitor

Post by raknarius » 28 Jan 2014, 07:38

secrets secrets secrets, I just pryed one out of you guys, reading many posts ive never ever read anyone mention maximum prerendered frames. I knew there was more too it than what you might read in a standard post.

its funny one expert from toms hw told me, the closest I was to 144 or 72fps the more studder I would get lmao, so much conflicting information.

gimme more secrets, assume I don't know crap and haven't adjusted any settings, anything else I should adjust in nvida control panel guys?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 09:05

raknarius wrote:secrets secrets secrets, I just pryed one out of you guys, reading many posts ive never ever read anyone mention maximum prerendered frames. I knew there was more too it than what you might read in a standard post.
It's usually been set to 1, but if stutter elimination is a priority over input lag, you may want to increase it a bit.
raknarius wrote:its funny one expert from toms hw told me, the closest I was to 144 or 72fps the more studder I would get lmao, so much conflicting information.
This can be normal (interaction between framerate and refreshrate) stutters become more visible as you get closer, until it finally exactly matches, then the stutters suddenly disappears when the framerate/refreshrate exactly matches. That most usually happens with VSYNC ON. For example 143fps at 144Hz can get one stutter per second (1Hz beat frequency difference). As an example reference quality VSYNC ON motion smoothness, view www.testufo.com/photo in Chrome browser, make sure it is running at 144fps, and you do not have any apps running.

The other approach is simply let the frame rate fluctuate freely, or get GSYNC so that fluctuating frame rates look smooth.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mang

Post by Mang » 31 Jan 2014, 05:26

I would use Lightboost and lower the graphics/AA accordingly to achieve an average 120+ FPS. It's worth the sacrifice I would say.

Leave VSync off.

What games will you be playing?

Congrats on getting the 144Hz monitor!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Feb 2014, 02:37

Try it both with VSYNC ON and OFF.
- VSYNC OFF is better for competitive play
- VSYNC ON (which I use for solo play) is sometimes smoother and more stutterfree if your GPU is overkill enough to keep it capped at framerate = refreshrate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!