Best IPS vs TN for paced gaming

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Q83Ia7ta

Re: Best IPS vs TN for paced gaming

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 25 Feb 2016, 14:33

lexlazootin wrote:Benq has some of the worst AMA configurations and the Asus has some of the best i've seen. Unless he had his overdrive turned off and set it too 165hz there is no way the PG279Q performed worse than the Benq.

I have a Benq, the overdrive is horrid and shitty and blurry :lol:
Overdrive is overdrive. Panel technology is panel technology and IPS performs worse than TN in terms of pixel response.
Just look at facts
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/con ... d_response
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/con ... d_response
lexlazootin wrote: Edit: Here's to quote the review:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu ... pg279q.htm
"Excellent gaming performance - G-sync, ULMB, fast response times, high refresh rate, no lag
All round performance from IPS panel surpasses TN Film gaming screens"
If it surpasses why we see pixel response 2-1.5x slower?
I hope you will buy and tell us how it feels for you.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 25 Feb 2016, 20:02

You're right, it's pretty fast overdrive but something they don't account for in ms is the overshoot

If it overshoots 10-20% there is going to be inverse blur and it's going to take a little longer to correct its self. Unlike the IPS pannel, it's 1.5x slower but in the end it doesn't have to correct it's self as much so much less inverse ghosting.

You might be right but i'm curious too see the different in person as well.

And you said a Benq monitor...

There is NO way benq has better response than the Asus.

bubub

Post by bubub » 26 Feb 2016, 04:41

I don't even play cs go but i play even faster fps such quake, unreal tournament
Those games are so fast i need image to be sharp as much as possible
No blurry, no ghosting at all
Tell me ips would suit for such games, cs go is maybe the most popular game among fps competition but slower response doesnt affect that game more than it actually does on quake-like

bubub

Post by bubub » 26 Feb 2016, 20:11

I eventually picked XB71HU IPS, 27'', 1440p, G-Sync
After testing many screen monitors:

VA panel, G-Sync, 200 hz, 35 inches -> too slow response time + reverse ghosting and trailing + blurry image

Cheap TN, 60 hertz -> pixel response time seems to be ok but blurry image even worst than VA panel + 60 hz makes me sick

TN, 120 hertz -> perfect, low response time, sharp and crisp image, smooth, no visible ghosting but got some tearing

TN, 144 hertz, G-Sync -> perfect, low response time, sharp and crisp image, smooth, no visible ghosting, no tearing, PERFECT

IPS, 165 hertz, G-Sync -> ?

I hope i made the right decision about picking the right screen monitor
Thanks for the help

Coexist

Post by Coexist » 18 May 2017, 09:00

Sorry for reviving a dead thread but I am really interested in your opinion of the XB271HU

How did you get on in the end?

I am personally struggling with this panel for games like Quake/UT. Where as similar to you my old 120Hz TN panel with BenQ blur reduction was perfect. But looked like crap due to washed our grey colours.

Many thanks,
Coe.

cskippy

Post by cskippy » 18 May 2017, 15:47

This is the reason why I used my XB270HU for casual games and single player but never if I want to do well in multiplayer. The Benq XL2411z has yet to be dethroned, and is used, in an updated model by professional E-Sports players for a reason.