Animations Unsmooth / Ghosting issues

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lallaren007

Re: Animations Unsmooth / Ghosting issues

Post by Lallaren007 » 23 Sep 2016, 21:12

I found the issue, seems like my Asus strix gtx 960 does not have very good support for 144Hz. And i have tried with 2 diffrent types of 60Hz displays aswell. But those 2 i tested with has much higher ms response time and was made between year 2009-2010. Just tried with a gaming 60Hz monitor with 2ms response time and everything was running "Smooth" , ghosting free and no more input lag. It's wierd because before i decided to get an 144Hz i obviously asked if the gpu would be able to handle 144Hz. On games like CsGo ( where i have 200-300fps ) . Even asked nvidia support about this. And they said that the gpu would be able to handle 144Hz on the games i play.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Sep 2016, 10:49

Are you running the windows desktop at 120Hz? Try that, in the hope that Acer have tweaked their overdrive setting for that particular refresh rate. (Your monitor DOES use overdrive, it's just that Acer doesn't allow for tweaking it in their OSD.) In general, 120Hz is the recommended refresh rate even on monitors that can go up to 144Hz, as 120Hz usually provides a somewhat better image quality and also it avoids judder/microstutter with video that uses 24, 30 and 60FPS or games that have such videos or sections with frame rate caps at these values. 120Hz suits all of these frame rates. 144Hz does not. It only matches 24FPS. 30 and 60 will have judder and micro-stutter.

For CS:GO, just add "-freq 144" to the launch options (in the game's properties in Steam.) That way you can keep your desktop at 120Hz and still have CS:GO switch to 144 automatically.

For games you want to run at 60FPS, keep your desktop mode at 120Hz and in nvidia inspector, in the game's profile, select "1/2" in the vsync setting, and "60FPS (v2)" in the "frame limiter" setting. Scroll down a lot to find the "v2" settings for the frame limiter. To get that, make sure you're using the latest version (2.1.3.0 as of right now):

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k ... /artifacts

which is available on the author's build site, but not yet available on Guru3D.

But overall, I observed the same issues as you have with 144Hz displays running in 60Hz mode. Asus, AOC, BenQ, it doesn't matter. They all behave that way it seems. The 75Hz panel in my Samsung XL2370 from 2009 had zero ghosting. And when I say zero, I'm not exaggerating. It really had ZERO ghosting. And no motion blur either (other than the natural blur of 60FPS.) And solid viewing angles too. No color inversion when viewing from above or from the side. It seems we have to sacrifice these things for 144Hz TN panels. I have no idea why. Perhaps it's the overdrive implementation. If you only have to deal with 60Hz and 75Hz, you can tweak it to perfection. If you have a range all the way up to 144, then perhaps they can't do a good job at it, especially since panels differ from each other even in the same monitor model.

I'm on a 980 Ti.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Lallaren007

Post by Lallaren007 » 24 Sep 2016, 11:34

Thanks! =D I actually tried with getting a new monitor just about a week ago. The monitor i use now is a "benq xl2411z 144Hz 24". but sadly i was getting the same issue. I tried with fps cap also. but did not help. But now i have yet another issue. Im sitting here with a brandnew 144Hz that i cannot return to the store. So guess i will have to do some upgrades on my pc so it will be able to handle 144Hz? I have been looking at the new line up of budget vr cards from Nvidia and Amd. i have a i5 4460 and a 500W powersupply from evga. Do you recommend any card that supports 144Hz? I tried with 120Hz on dekstop and the -144Hz start command. but still got horrible ghosting along with input lag =/ both in windows and inside CsGo

// Thanks for your post once again! it's much appreciated
RealNC wrote:Are you running the windows desktop at 120Hz? Try that, in the hope that Acer have tweaked their overdrive setting for that particular refresh rate. (Your monitor DOES use overdrive, it's just that Acer doesn't allow for tweaking it in their OSD.) In general, 120Hz is the recommended refresh rate even on monitors that can go up to 144Hz, as 120Hz usually provides a somewhat better image quality and also it avoids judder/microstutter with video that uses 24, 30 and 60FPS or games that have such videos or sections with frame rate caps at these values. 120Hz suits all of these frame rates. 144Hz does not. It only matches 24FPS. 30 and 60 will have judder and micro-stutter.

For CS:GO, just add "-freq 144" to the launch options (in the game's properties in Steam.) That way you can keep your desktop at 120Hz and still have CS:GO switch to 144 automatically.

For games you want to run at 60FPS, keep your desktop mode at 120Hz and in nvidia inspector, in the game's profile, select "1/2" in the vsync setting, and "60FPS (v2)" in the "frame limiter" setting. Scroll down a lot to find the "v2" settings for the frame limiter. To get that, make sure you're using the latest version (2.1.3.0 as of right now):

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k ... /artifacts

which is available on the author's build site, but not yet available on Guru3D.

But overall, I observed the same issues as you have with 144Hz displays running in 60Hz mode. Asus, AOC, BenQ, it doesn't matter. They all behave that way it seems. The 75Hz panel in my Samsung XL2370 from 2009 had zero ghosting. And when I say zero, I'm not exaggerating. It really had ZERO ghosting. And no motion blur either (other than the natural blur of 60FPS.) And solid viewing angles too. No color inversion when viewing from above or from the side. It seems we have to sacrifice these things for 144Hz TN panels. I have no idea why. Perhaps it's the overdrive implementation. If you only have to deal with 60Hz and 75Hz, you can tweak it to perfection. If you have a range all the way up to 144, then perhaps they can't do a good job at it, especially since panels differ from each other even in the same monitor model.

I'm on a 980 Ti.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Sep 2016, 12:50

You don't need a better GPU in order to drive high refresh rate monitors. Refresh rate does not place any demands on your system. A $90 GPU does the same job at it as a $1000 GPU.

A better GPU will give you more FPS though. But for just using 144Hz, any GPU with displayport or DL-DVI will do. If your current one has displayport, try that just to test if it might have something to do with the DVI ports.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 24 Sep 2016, 12:53

You don't need a better GPU.

Lallaren007

Post by Lallaren007 » 25 Sep 2016, 18:50

Im using dvi port for my 60Hz that im on right now. So don't it has anything to do with the dvi port. And i do get the very same issue on my other monitor ( Acer gn246hl 144Hz). And it's not software/Os problem. But like i said i did get same problem on my other two 60Hz displays. that had higher ms time. but this monitor im on right now. Benq 60Hz 2ms response time does not have any problems. So is it something with "ms" in some way? Im just really lost.
RealNC wrote:You don't need a better GPU in order to drive high refresh rate monitors. Refresh rate does not place any demands on your system. A $90 GPU does the same job at it as a $1000 GPU.

A better GPU will give you more FPS though. But for just using 144Hz, any GPU with displayport or DL-DVI will do. If your current one has displayport, try that just to test if it might have something to do with the DVI ports.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Sep 2016, 19:46

That Acer GN monitor uses the exact same panel as the XL2411Z, so it has nothing to do with "response time" anything, because they're the same panel. So they have the same response time.

And you get in the service menu like this
http://www.overclock.net/t/1583557/acer ... rvice-menu