Odd problem with Asus VG248QE [warranty claim]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
shadman

Odd problem with Asus VG248QE [warranty claim]

Post by shadman » 31 Jan 2014, 03:37

Hey, I just went down to the local Fry's with my friend and he purchased a floor model of the Asus VG248QE (Sorry Chief, he didn't want to wait from Amazon). We get home, plug the DVI in and...nothing. Monitor doesn't turn on. Plug in HDMI, works just fine. To be sure, try the DVI again. DVI works until Windows loads, so BIOS works, and safe mode works. Anything else for DVI, nada. Tried a single-link cable, same deal. Took the monitor to my house, completely different (known good DVI cable, video card..the one for my OC Catleap) and I'm having the same issues! Looking on the desktop when the DVI is plugged (with Teamviewer), nowhere does it say anything about a monitor plugged in.

Can the DVI port really be bad on this monitor, in a way that it doesn't work at the OS level? Will have to but a displayport cable to test out DisplayPort, and see if I can get Asus involved, but is there something wrong with the EDID or something?

Side note: He is using a GTA 770 (don't know which specific model, but tried both DVI slots) and I have this card here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130768 Again, this rig/cable work with 1440p @ 120Hz, so I'm pretty dang sure its not my stuff..I think.

EDIT: Didn't want to bump the thread for an update, but Asus said just send it in for repair. DP works flawlessly, so because this was a display model, I'm going to assume it was just a damaged DVI port that was not letting the monitor fully work, but could in safe mode and on other inputs. Case closed I guess.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Odd problem with Asus VG248QE

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2014, 02:00

Very possible -- due to display model, it might have had a lot of wear on the DVI port --

So I think this is probably a damaged DVI port, which doesn't work properly (e.g. certain pins disconnected), and causes this specific problem. So, this sounds like a warranty replacement.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!