Laggy gaming in 60hz mode [Nvidia GTX 1070 - Benq XL2411z]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Falkentyne

Re: Laggy gaming in 60hz mode [Nvidia GTX 1070 - Benq XL2411

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Jun 2016, 19:47

illetyus wrote:
Sparky wrote:Lowering your refresh rate can only increase lag, if you want a stable framerate, use a framerate cap. Preferably in game.
I am not satisfied man... Should i buy Dell U2414H and sell this monitor?...
Why are you acting like a child?
Doesn't matter what monitor you have.
You set 60hz, you're going to lag. Period.
I'll say it 1 more time:
THIS IS A FUNCTION OF THE VIDEO CARD.
THE MONITOR JUST DISPLAYS IMAGES. IT DOESNT LAG.

the *ONLY* Extra lag you will get from the monitor is if you are using BLUR REDUCTION at 60hz with SINGLE STROBE=ON, without a vertical total tweak. You didn't mention any of this in your post. You just cried about lag.
if you're lagging and trying to use blur reduction at 60hz (with Single Strobe set to "on" in the Benq service menu), set the Strobe Phase to 100. This will improve input lag by 1 frame compared to Strobe phase 000 (16.7ms improvement).

Some monitors have processing lag, true, but the XL Z series monitors have among the lowest processing lag in the market. The XL2720Z was tested as having only 2-3ms of processing lag. The XL2411Z uses the exact same scalar as the XL2720Z (Mstar 8556T), so its not the monitor causing it.

you need to look elsewhere. And I already told you everything and you completely, totally IGNORED everything I said.
1) turn off vsync.
2) set prerender limit to "1" in your favorite Nvidia card tweaking utility. I do not know if the Nvidia control panel allows setting "Max frames allowed (same thing) or "max frames ahead". If it does, then good. Use it. if not, use a tweaking utility.
I don't own an Nvidia card. Can't tell you what to use.
3) if you're still to complain about input lag, either sell your GTX 1070 and get an AMD card, or sell your computer and buy a console. Your XL2411Z has a "single strobe" setting for 60hz gaming on a console. Works well.

illetyus

Post by illetyus » 29 Jun 2016, 06:39

Sparky wrote:Not if your complaint is input lag or inconsistent framerates. Have you tried a 72fps in game framerate cap with the monitor at 144hz?

And you need to better isolate/explain the actual problem. Imagine I was asking you how to fix my car, and all I told you is what kind of car I have and that it's making a funny noise.

Thank you for your reply..

My problem is (simplified)....

1) I used to run 60hz monitor.
2) I bought XL2411z to improve my gaming experience
3) I tried battlefield 4. It was 40-90 fps @ 144hz mode. Sudden fps drops lagged my monitor.
4) I tried starcraft 2. It was 70-120 fps @ 144hz mode. Sudden fps drops lagged my monitor.
5) I tried CS:GO @ 144hz mode and it was okay. Stable fps is good.
6) I tried to switch 60hz mode in my settings of desktop. It started to lag and it felt slower. My mouse did not feel the same... I want my old 60hz monitor settings in my new benq. I don't want sudden fps drops which causes laggy performance.

Now people say that monitor does not cause lag but VGA card do.
I dont know what to do. I have the one of the best vga card avaible.
Tried everything. I never use V-Syc e.t.c
...... very desperate..........

illetyus

Post by illetyus » 29 Jun 2016, 06:43

Falkentyne wrote: Why are you acting like a child?
Doesn't matter what monitor you have.
You set 60hz, you're going to lag. Period.
I'll say it 1 more time:
THIS IS A FUNCTION OF THE VIDEO CARD.
THE MONITOR JUST DISPLAYS IMAGES. IT DOESNT LAG.

the *ONLY* Extra lag you will get from the monitor is if you are using BLUR REDUCTION at 60hz with SINGLE STROBE=ON, without a vertical total tweak. You didn't mention any of this in your post. You just cried about lag.
if you're lagging and trying to use blur reduction at 60hz (with Single Strobe set to "on" in the Benq service menu), set the Strobe Phase to 100. This will improve input lag by 1 frame compared to Strobe phase 000 (16.7ms improvement).

Some monitors have processing lag, true, but the XL Z series monitors have among the lowest processing lag in the market. The XL2720Z was tested as having only 2-3ms of processing lag. The XL2411Z uses the exact same scalar as the XL2720Z (Mstar 8556T), so its not the monitor causing it.

you need to look elsewhere. And I already told you everything and you completely, totally IGNORED everything I said.
1) turn off vsync.
2) set prerender limit to "1" in your favorite Nvidia card tweaking utility. I do not know if the Nvidia control panel allows setting "Max frames allowed (same thing) or "max frames ahead". If it does, then good. Use it. if not, use a tweaking utility.
I don't own an Nvidia card. Can't tell you what to use.
3) if you're still to complain about input lag, either sell your GTX 1070 and get an AMD card, or sell your computer and buy a console. Your XL2411Z has a "single strobe" setting for 60hz gaming on a console. Works well.

Everything you said (tweaks) is default in my monitor. @60hz mode this monitor sucks...

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Jun 2016, 10:02

You have a misunderstanding about how monitors work and i don't think you've explained your problem well enough.

> not meant to be played on 60hz mode but i want to have a consistent framerate in my game

Adjusting your refreshrate has nothing to do with getting a "consistent framerate"

> Why is my monitor is soooo laggy...

Do you mean input lag? People say lag for so many things.

> even i move my mouse, it leaves shadows..

Like a trail of mouse cursors sort of like this? http://img.tfd.com/cde/MTRAILS.GIF because every monitor will do that no matter what.

> battlefield 4. It was 40-90 fps, starcraft 2. It was 70-120 fps.

You should be getting more FPS then that. What's your CPU and what fps do you get in CS:GO at what settings?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 29 Jun 2016, 12:33

illetyus wrote:I tried to switch 60hz mode in my settings of desktop. It started to lag and it felt slower. My mouse did not feel the same...
May be you just get used to 144Hz and not happy going back to 60Hz?
It's ok. Most of players feels bad after switching back to 60Hz.