My fresh Asus PG248Q 180Hz experience

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Q83Ia7ta

Re: My fresh Asus PG248Q 180Hz experience

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 17 Nov 2016, 02:24

charlychad wrote:Hi Q83Ia7ta,

Did you find how to fix your problem at 180 hz?
I'm still on a 144hz monitor but if this 180 hz screen have still some problem, i prefer to stay on my 144.
I just use 170Hz now at gaming sessions. Sometimes I switch to 180Hz and see no these artifacts o_O but image is little clearer at 144Hz.
No need to buy 180Hz monitor when 240Hz monitor is coming out imo.
Or if price matters then you can wait for PG248Q price drop.
Pre-order for Europe. 499.00 € incl. VAT
Coming soon! Stock available on 11/24/2016. Pre-order now and enjoy free shipping.
https://shop.benq.eu/store/bqeu/en_GB/p ... 5073989500

Amazon $499
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2540-Scre ... 01MCYUV19/

devocator

Post by devocator » 18 Nov 2016, 05:17

Guys please enlighten me on G-Sync settings. As I have read in this forum people are saying that I need to cap my in-game fps to something below my monitor's refresh rate so it's in my case below 180 HZ. When I asked it to some other people they told me that I don't have to cap my in-game fps. So now I am pretty confused. Need to know best combination for G-Sync in my scenario ;

180hz + 177fps
180HZ + unlimited FPS
144hz + 140fps

Which one is the best?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Nov 2016, 07:17

180hz + 175fps

Make sure V-Sync is off in driver.

Paul

Post by Paul » 18 Nov 2016, 10:02

If you want to avoid tearing at the bottom of your screen while using Gsync (and Vsync off) on a 180Hz monitor, you have to cap the fps around 152. It's been explained pretty well in this topic: link

However if you're fine with a little tearing at the bottom, feel free to cap the fps a little higher, maybe around 170+ fps.

kurtextrem

Post by kurtextrem » 05 Mar 2017, 03:42

I had the same issue with 180 Hz. Fixed at 170 Hz too.
Acer XF250Q, R6 competitive player

kurtextrem

Post by kurtextrem » 10 May 2017, 10:08

Sorry for double posting, but I wanted to see if there is any other PG248Q owner here.
If yes, which OSD settings are you using?
Acer XF250Q, R6 competitive player

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 May 2017, 10:19

Paul wrote:If you want to avoid tearing at the bottom of your screen while using Gsync (and Vsync off) on a 180Hz monitor, you have to cap the fps around 152. It's been explained pretty well in this topic: link
However if you're fine with a little tearing at the bottom, feel free to cap the fps a little higher, maybe around 170+ fps.
Usually, VSYNC ON at 170-175 won't add appreciable lag. The tearing at the bottom edge of the screen is only microseconds away.

Mathematically, at 1080p@144Hz, using 160KHz horizontal scan rate (pixel rows per second, scanlines per second), the extra input lag of VSYNC OFF GSYNC versus VSYNC ON GSYNC based on tearline position -- a tearline 10 pixels above the bottom edge of the screen is only an additional 10/160,000th of a second of input lag. Waiting for VSYNC in a situation of a tearline 10 pixels from bottom edge -- 0.06ms input lag. That's six hundredths of a single millisecond!

You can find your scanrate (also known as "horizontal refresh") in Custom Resolution Utility. To calculate the mathematical input lag, that is how many fractions of a second for every pixel row the tearline is above the bottom edge of the screen (VSYNC ON relative to VSYNC OFF). If the tearline was very high up on the screen like near the beginning of the screen -- yes, you can have several milliseconds less lag. But if it's only a few pixels from the bottom edge, that's MICROSECONDS of input lag. And besides, stuff above the tearline is unaffected (no input lag difference) -- it's only stuff below the tearline that genuinely has less input lag. Is there any enemies showing below the tearline? No? Then use VSYNC ON with GSYNC.

The way the screen scans out, one pixel at a time serialized over a video cable, and onto the screen (at the pixel dotclock) -- the pixels start at the top and ends at the bottom. So if you're already near the bottom, you're only microseconds away from finishing the refresh cycle (wait on VSYNC). If you've programmed raster interrupts in the old days as I have (e.g. Commodore 64), you gain the ability to precision mathematically calculate the exact number of microseconds for a specific scanout position. (Nintendo Zapper lightgun depends on microsecond-accurate relative timing too; given CRTs scan out -- to determine position of light gun aim relative to screen). VSYNC OFF can be a big latency saver (many milliseconds) or only an insignificant latency saver (mere microseconds, in the case of wanting to eliminate tearlines that hover only at the bottom edge of the screen)

Sure, Yes. VSYNC OFF is competitively important without GSYNC
But, No. VSYNC OFF during GSYNC is quite unnecessary if your tearlines hang only near the bottom edge of the screen.

If tearlines appear ONLY at bottom edge of the screen, turning VSYNC ON adds far less than a tenth of a millisecond of extra lag. That's mere microseconds! The fetish of VSYNC OFF + GSYNC for "my tearlines only show at bottom edge" scenario, is almost always a mountain out of a molehill, because tearline position at the bottom edge of the screen is only microseconds away from VSYNC ON.

In other words, "170fps cap during 180Hz GSYNC + VSYNC ON" will generally be competitively better than "150fps cap during 180Hz GSYNC + VSYNC OFF" if your tearlines only hover near the bottom edge. Significantly more frames per second (15% more fps) is preferable over adding a few microseconds of input lag. Even a tiny 10Mhz (0.01Ghz) overclock has a bigger effect on input lag than that. Even running the gaming monitor in a warm room than a cold room (Colder room = slower LCD pixel response = Slower GtG = more microseconds of lag) has a bigger effect on input lag savings than using VSYNC ON to remove bottom-hugger tearlines!

TL;DR: If your tearlines ONLY hang near the bottom, just simply use default GSYNC (with VSYNC ON at max Hz) and a higher framerate cap. The advantages of a higher framerate will far more than competitively compensate for the extra microseconds of input lag for bottom-edge-hugging VSYNC OFF tearlines.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!