getting A new 144Hz monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
chandler

Re: getting A new 144Hz monitor

Post by chandler » 31 Aug 2016, 15:19

U seem to really know ur stuff around monitors ... would u care guiding me through the calibration?

would u say this guide is any good ? : https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... onitor_to/

edit: and also, is blur reduction really needed? it increases input-lag so Ive read.. doesnt it?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Aug 2016, 15:36

I don't use ICC profiles or calibrations. Sorry.
Input lag with blur reduction can be removed by increasing the "Strobe Phase" setting. Strobe phase 100 will have 1 frame lower input lag at the top of the screen, compared to strobe phase 000. The difference decreases as you move down the screen. The drawback to having a strobe phase of 100 is crosstalk will be extremely high at the bottom of the screen. Just enabling blur reduction adds an unnoticeable amount of processing lag. Maybe equal to half a refresh interval with strobe phase 100. Now if having 4 ms more input lag stops you from being able to aim in a videogame, I don't think the problem is the monitor.

Vertical Total tweaks reduce the strobe crosstalk drastically. However using a VT tweak limits the maximum strobe phase you can use (dependent on the refresh rate). You still gain the full benefits if you use a high strobe phase right below the "cutoff" point. That's explained in my thread and I won't type it out here as it's too much. And it will only become clearer once you start using the monitor and experimenting to see how things work.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

chandler

Post by chandler » 31 Aug 2016, 16:30

I was just reading ur topic and I didn't fully understand like HALF of it, a lot of terms and settings Im not familliar with AGAIN due to not having the BenQ infront of me probs..

what I did wanted to also point out, the PMW stuff is super important and the VG248QE gave me MASSIVE eye strain, thats why I must get a PMW-FREE monitor first of all, once I'll get my hands on the 11Z (V4 hopefully) I'll start re-reading ur topic carefully.. btw ur saying the monitor can get decent without proper calibrations? only by messing with the ama/crosstalk/BR/strobe & all that ?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Aug 2016, 16:57

Pretty much. Keep in mind that blur reduction uses a strobed backlight so you're going to get PWM type flickering even though it isn't PWM, it's still flicker. With blur reduction off, it uses direct DC voltage.

If you are NOT using blur reduction, you MUST use the blur reduction AMA tweak to fix the over aggressive overdrive by exploiting a preset profile switch bug. It's just annoying to do that on the XL2411Z because you have to navigate the OSD to set a "hotkey" (buttons 1, 2 or 3) for "picture Mode" menu, then navigate through the presets.

With the S-switch monitors it's brainless: the three S-switch buttons are gamer 1, 2, and 3:

1) Save standard mode (with blur reduction off, contrast 45, Brightness 0-20) to Gamer 1
2) Save standard mode with blur reduction on, to Gamer 2.
save whatever other mode you want (FPS1, Photo, etc) into Gamer 3.

Then with the s-switch, to get blur reduction's lower AMA to apply to blur reduction off:
1) Press s-switch button #2 to activate gamer 2. Blur reduction will be on.
2) Go to AMA, highlight "high" (Don't confirm) and then press back or Exit or move the slider to off/premium and back to high and exit.
3) Press s-switch button #1 to activate gamer 1. Blur reduction will be off, but with blur reduction's AMA low activated.

With the XL2411Z, you would have to do this through the OSD. Thus--the s-switch is very, very useful.

chandler

Post by chandler » 31 Aug 2016, 17:05

and I need to make a use of that bug every...what? time I launch a game? or?...

and why not just use Blur Reduction ON @ 120Hz then?

the 20Z is ridiculous price-wise compared to the 11Z... more than a 250$ difference.. and all that for the Switch?..

EDITED.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Aug 2016, 17:14

Just get the XL2430T then
Amazon is price gouging again.
And whoever is selling it isn't even spelling the words correctly.

They did the exact same thing with the Samsung HMX-F90 camera.
I bought it for $130.
Then a year later it's $299.....what.
(And it's $120 at Wal-Mart).

I guess because Benq's webshop is out of stock on them.
Benq is selling the XL2720Z for $359 brand new.

Well that explains everything.
Benq isn't making the XL2420Z anymore.
it's been replaced with the XL2430T (including the Zowie version).
The 11Z and 2720Z both have Zowie versions (exact same monitor just a name change).

chandler

Post by chandler » 31 Aug 2016, 17:18

But as I said before, I cant get a ZOWIE version here, and Amazon shipping fees are crazy.
I can get the 30T and 11Z for pretty much the same price , 30$ difference tops.. but its not worth it with the shutdown bug of the 30T..

god every 144hz screen has some sort of bug/issue that users just have to deal with.. god :|

chandler

Post by chandler » 01 Sep 2016, 01:29

I guess I'll head to the store to ask them about the Zowie 30T..

if they have it should I just take it instead of the 11Z ? Due to the AMA bug and needed S-Switch and stuff?

would it be really bad if I wont use that switch bug with the ama and just get the 2411Z ? what will it affect directly ?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Sep 2016, 01:48

You don't -need- the s-switch to switch profiles. It's just more time consuming on the xl2411z because you have to set a hotkey to "Picture mode" and then change gamer presets that way. You can still do it, it's just more annoying. Especially since the AMA toggle "resets" when you do the blur reduction "on" version of it (this is simple and the S-switch won't help here, as there's no shortcut to reaching the AMA setting), if monitor brightness is changed or any strobe setting is changed or resolution/refresh rate is changed. If you do the blur reduction "off" version of it (do the blur reduction on and then switch profiles, or gamer presets, which with the S-switch, is simply 1 extra button press), then you can change brightness and strobe settings, but not res or refresh rate.

chandler

Post by chandler » 01 Sep 2016, 02:11

Im really not that demanding when it comes to all that, I just went theater mode with all the settings from pcmonitors.info and got used to that, some time after that I strobed 120hz @ 10% and got used to that too, I dont mind staying on say... 1920 desktop and like the same refresh all the time (depends on what will look better on the Benq .. 120 with additional tweaking or 144)

Im not one of those people who would create a "desktop profile" alongside his "csgo profile" and start switching them everytime .. hope u get what Im saying (of course Ill use the toggling in the switch if its for bugs and settings which reset themselves.)

all that I said was just so u could tell me in case I cant get my hands on a zowie 2430 here , if it would be not so terrible if I just got the regular 2411z like we discussed in the first place...