Benq 2720Z - EXACTLY the same as the Benq Zowie 2720?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SpaceTime

Benq 2720Z - EXACTLY the same as the Benq Zowie 2720?

Post by SpaceTime » 10 Oct 2016, 16:39

I have done a LOT of reading / research over the last few weeks - and I am 99% sure of the answer to this question - is the Benq xl2720Z an exact copy of the "new" Benq xl2720 (no Z)?

I want to buy one - and can get great pricing on the non-Zowie Z model, which is always nice. BUT, would I losing anything by getting the "older" model? Anything at all different - firmware, etc? Is there any newer hardware or features I am not aware of? There is not any difference in how the firmware would be updated, if one chose to do so?

Anyway, you get it... anyone have anything?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, btw, regardless of recent rants ;-) regarding the XL2430T, I decided to keep that also - I need two monitors for separate gaming PC's - and now building a third for a friend of my sons'. I am going to keep the 2430T - I kept working with it, and even though it has its challenges / bugs, I am going to keep it and work with it over time, and use it as a training vehicle for my son to get more technically savvy on it and the 2720Z. After digging into the thread by CyberFernandes, and hitting some of the links - I think there is still hope for this monitor (unless you guys want to knock me off this course).

I am also keeping the LG - even though it is simple and limited in set up options, that is the beauty of it, and perfect for one son who likes to game, but does not like to tinker.

At the end of the day, my innocent desire to upgrade my sons' computers to 1070 GTX and 120 / 144Hz faster refresh has really turned into more than I bargained for... but I am enjoying it now, always like a challenge. Plus, it gives some father / son time in working together to learn. (maybe I will even PLAY a game at some point!!!) I am going to stick with 1080p and 120 / 144 Hz for now - after I get all this settled, they will both have a second monitor at their workstations (for now they will use their old ASUS 238's as the 2nd monitor) - and when the time comes to upgrade the second monitor, I am thinking that will be a 25 or 27" 1440p - though probably at 60hz for desk / homework / surfing activities.

Ok, now it's getting long winded, but just a little background.

lexlazootin

Re: Benq 2720Z - EXACTLY the same as the Benq Zowie 2720?

Post by lexlazootin » 10 Oct 2016, 19:53

> and can get great pricing on the non-Zowie Z model

How good are we talking about?

If you're not going to use Blur Reduction then just don't buy Benq as it's too expensive and any other monitor will preform better.

SpaceTime

Post by SpaceTime » 10 Oct 2016, 20:23

lexlazootin wrote:>

If you're not going to use Blur Reduction then just don't buy Benq as it's too expensive and any other monitor will preform better.
Not sure "any other monitor will perform better" is a true statement.... I am targeting high refresh rate, that automatically creates a short list. Next, I've had an LG 24GM77, ASUS VG248QE and the BenQ Xl2430T on the bench for the the last week and a half side by side, running through many tests, games, etc. (my son has been playing Witcher 3, GTA V, Doom, Division as part of our testing - good tests of both the monitors AND the CPU / GPU performance as a couple of those titles are very CPU intensive). Even though the BenQ is gimped by not being able to save the Gamer presets (bug), and even though I am currently not using Blur Redution FULL TIME due to not installing the Tweaks or utilities to brighten it up ----- with even this, the BenQ set up with optimized Standard OSD settings performs the best of all three... YMMV.

BenQ compared to the ASUS - well, the ASUS is a fine monitor for what it is, but very limited in settings, especially in Standard mode - I still have not found any way to adjust the Gamma from the OSD (maybe I am missing something) - and that is one thing that is a short coming for me in the tests/ comparisons. The LG is very close to the Benq in picture / color / testing quality, but IMHO for my eyes, the BenQ edges it out, but we are talking slightly, and sometimes it feels dead even.... Of course, these three are all at the root the same panel - so it comes down to what the manufacturer is doing (eg dithering) to present the colors / image.... and also the lemon potential or "Made on a Friday" factor, it could be the particular LG panel I have vs the particular BenQ panel... you get it... like anything there is a "lottery" aspect here.your YMMV. (for example, the FIRST ASUS VG248QE I had on the bench had a bad case of light bleed, clouding, etc - it was horrible. The second one had very little, and great blacks... part of the reality of this price range.)

Also, the LG trade-off of "Motion Blur or Response Time" make it an interesting dilemma, you can't have both!! (DAS ON means no MotionBlur and Vice Versa) Plus, I think Blur Reduction 2.0 beats MotionBlur 240, as from what I understand MotionBlur 240 is closer in its roots to LIghtboost - which although Lightboost works for many, I am under the impression Blur Reduction 2.0 (which the 2430T and 2720Z have) rule the roost at the moment in this segment... again, don't mind being corrected here, still learning.

Bottom line - long term, on both the XL2430T and the XL2720Z I (or my sons') WILL use Blur Reduction - and I will too when I get around to playing a few titles ;-).

As far as "how much difference in price?" - well first off, you can get the 2720Z for the same price as the 2430T in many places now (same with the new Zowies in 24 and 27 price btw - they are the same at launch). BOTH the BenQ "older" Z models have been lowered to clear them out and make room for the Zowies obviously....... AND the difference in price is $60 USD, or more. Plus, realize the 2720Z price has fallen more sharply over time partly because of the "27" at 1080p stigma" - I think prices have dropped because everyone just makes the assumption that 27" is now for 1440p, and 24" is 1080p space. NOT saying this is a truism, but this a fairly widespread "myth" or maybe it is "true" as perception does become reality. Recall when the 2720 came it, it was retailing at $499? Well, now you can scoop them up close to $300!!!

Bottom line - Most who want 27" these days are bumping the resolution - because they can!!! (and because the industry is pushing that myth hard to keep the upgrade churn wheel rolling, and keep sales rolling - basic capitalism, expected and healthy). All that is fine with me, more beer for us that to try out the 2720Z.

CHeers, and thanks for the response...

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 10 Oct 2016, 21:59

BenQ uses their professional gimp works to gimp their own colour accuracy and response times. I've only ever seen a few Benqs but from the sound of it they are all like this.

From the sounds of it you can't tell or don't care and have already made up your mind.

What's the deal anyways? you posted and got your answer already here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=190

Edit: Ignore that, I'm being a asshole. I'm sorry, i don't know why.

I think the only thing worth looking for in a monitor is the colour accuracy and response time and benq has pretty much been ignoring those two things since they started making high refresh monitors.

The thing is, is that I've got one of those custom 240hz boards that you plug a panel into and with NO PROCESSING and the same panel from the Benq monitor it looks more accurate then it does with Benq's 'scaler board'.

I've also got a post showing how bad the overdrive is compared to the G-Sync module here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... sic+engine

As long as your panel and overdrive is accurate, everything else can be configured after the fact in Nvidia's control panel.
Last edited by lexlazootin on 10 Oct 2016, 22:16, edited 2 times in total.

SpaceTime

Post by SpaceTime » 10 Oct 2016, 22:09

lexlazootin wrote: I've only ever seen a few Benqs but from the sound of it they are all like this.

From the sounds of it you can't tell or don't care and have already made up your mind.
So you aren't speaking from experience then? You seem very certain for someone that has only seen a few.

Also, if I had made up my mind, I wouldn't be posting - trying to find out if there is any advantage to buying the newer Zowie's - have read some opinion's and thoughts on this, but you can never be too sure. Especially with the amount of stuff that goes undocumented these days on new releases - gives these forums something to do to share information.

Not sure where the "don't care" comment came from, no need to explain.

Thanks for your inputs, they were much appreciated.

Cheers

SpaceTime

Post by SpaceTime » 10 Oct 2016, 22:27

lexlazootin wrote:BenQ uses their professional gimp works to gimp their own colour accuracy and response times. I've only ever seen a few Benqs but from the sound of it they are all like this.

What's the deal anyways? you posted and got your answer already here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=190

Edit: Ignore that, I'm being a asshole. I'm sorry, i don't know why.

I think the only thing worth looking for in a monitor is the colour accuracy and response time and benq has pretty much been ignoring those two things since they started making high refresh monitors.

The thing is, is that I've got one of those custom 240hz boards that you plug a panel into and with NO PROCESSING and the same panel from the Benq monitor it looks more accurate then it does with Benq's 'scaler board'.

I've also got a post showing how bad the overdrive is compared to the G-Sync module here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... sic+engine

As long as your panel and overdrive is accurate, everything else can be configured after the fact in Nvidia's control panel.
No worries... thanks for the edit... we'll just call it healthy cynicism, I have been known to be capable of such also.

This wouldn't be what you are referring to with the board you have? https://hardforum.com/threads/no-latenc ... d.1894299/ I saw this posted in another thread.... took a look at it, but it is probably one step beyond where I would go.... tweaking a 2430T or 2720Z, etc (gimped or not ;-)) would be as far as I would want to go. Besides, I am really only doing all this to both challenge and spend time with my 16 yr old son... he loves gaming, and getting him to pay attention to building PC's, adding components, the tech behind it is my way of finding the angle to spend time with him... plus I am an engineer and love building things and tinkering. (I have been building both my sons' gamer boxes for 8+ years, and two and a half builds - but have never even played a game).

And your comments are not lost on me and have piqued my curiosity, you clearly are much more educated on the topic of Benq than I am, at this point I am just a newbie consumer in this area ;-) --- but always interested in learning and hearing others thoughts --- and in this case I wouldn't mind hearing others opinions on your assertions also! (no disrespect intended, all part of the same learning process).

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Oct 2016, 22:48

The XL2720Z is the exact same as the "Zowie XL2720"

And don't believe Benq's marketing.
ALL of their monitors have "DyAc"

DyAc is benq blur reduction renamed, and viral marketing added to it.

The XL2735 is a 1440p version of the XL2720Z---even vertical total tweaks work again to lower Crosstalk (they did NOT work on the XL2730Z!).....except it is missing the Single Strobe override for 60hz ...it double strobes at 60hz and 85hz....

SpaceTime

Post by SpaceTime » 10 Oct 2016, 23:02

Thanks again, and as always, Falkentyne...

... do you look at the 1080p offerings from BenQ, and moreover, the 2720 and 2430 series as nearing "end of life", and them focusing more on the newer, sexier stuff like 1440p and beyond?

I ask because it still seems like there is a VERY strong / rooted gaming contingent at 1080p, and some who think that with these size screens (24" and maybe 27") being optimal for certain types of gaming, and that 1080p is really all you need?

I guess I am asking in a way if you have a crystal ball, or maybe a peek into Benq's product / marketing roadmap - so maybe not a fair question - but you have surprised me before....

... Will BenQ continue to put any investment into 1080p, especially a 27" 1080p, if only in your humble opinion?

Cheers

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Oct 2016, 23:16

The problem is, going from 1080p to 1440p (1920x1080 to 2560x1440) is a *77% increase* in total pixel size. That's a BIG increase in GPU horsepower to maintain the same framerates if you are GPU limited. No other standard resolutions had such a big increase. 1024x768 to 1280x1024 didn't, and 1680x1050 to 1920x1080 didn't. So for competitive play, 2560x1440 is pushing it unless it's CS:Go.

And not every competitive gamer has high end video cards to drive 1440p.

SpaceTime

Post by SpaceTime » 11 Oct 2016, 00:09

Yes, but if we are only approaching this from the technology / horsepower angle ---- one thing that remains constant is Moore's law, and over time the price to purchase these 1440p and 4K devices WILL come down, and the horsepower to drive them WILL increase at lower and lower costs.... and what is not attainable today will be a foregone conclusion and completely affordable / doable in 3-5 years.

But part of my point, and reason for my question, was that even if the price / horsepower for 1440p was no longer an issue, would these same competitive gamers have a NEED to upgrade to higher resolutions? Going to 1440p at what is dubbed the "optimal" 24" screen size for FPS for instance - would that drive the level of detail down too low, and likewise if they were to move up to a more optimal PPI at 27" 1440p for that resolution - would they then have too large a screen and lose their competitive edge by having to move their head around too much, and not take in all the details due to larger FOV???

Now, I realize that SOME competitive gamers DO use a 27" at 1080p for instance, so not a completely good example ---- but there seems to be a majority from my research that says the largest percentage look at 24" and 1080p as the sweet spot, and that they contend they don't see any drive or need to change that... at least with today's paradigms. But again, the key to that assertion is "today's paradigms."

As a slight rant and side bar - some might contend that the economics and technology to do all this at faster, better, cheaper already exists, but we have to go through the upgrade cycles so everyone can make money along the way.... <OK, another topic>. I worked for Intel for 18 years, so I know a thing or two about incremental upgrade cycles not always offering all the power that existed at that current time.