Confused - Modern HDTV and blur reduction

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Sigeasol

Confused - Modern HDTV and blur reduction

Post by Sigeasol » 11 Oct 2016, 21:19

I'm trying to get my head around the use of HDTV with th ability to alter the duty cycle of the backlight (Sony Clearness, for example).

As I understand it, the key to motion blur reduction using the above is to have the strobing occur at the same rate as the frames per second being displayed. So, 60fps @ 60hz, 120fps @ 120hz, etc.

Take, for example, the Sony x850C, which Rtings ( http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c ) showed, using the Clearness setting anything below 5 results in a frequency of flickering at 120hz, except at clearness 5, which does so at 60hz.

So, my theory is that at Clearness 5 setting you would want to be running the monitor at 60hz, and if you were to run the monitor at 1080p @ 120hz, then Clearness 4 would be better as it flickers at 120hz. Is this correct? If so, would a TV like the x850C be a good solution to motion blur for someone who wanted to game on a larger screen than is otherwise available with montior blur reduction technology (i.e. larger than 27 inch)?

Having read a lot of forums, including this one, it seems a lot of people consider that HDTVs are considered poor for the purposes of obtaining blur reduction. However, given that it is possible to both induce motion blur reduction without interpolation, and to run the screen at a higher than 60hz resolution at 1080p, a modern HDTV appears to be at least an acceptable alternative if large-screen gaming is desired.

Hoping for some clarification before I go putting down $$$ on checking my assumptions. :)

Falkentyne

Re: Confused - Modern HDTV and blur reduction

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Oct 2016, 22:03

It's not the blur or the blur reduction methods of TV's that are the problem in gaming, if you can handle 60hz strobing.
It's the input lag. At 60hz, you already have 16.7ms of frame lag to deal with by itself, and then if you have a TV adding 40ms of signal processing lag, well, things feel bad for fast paced games.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Confused - Modern HDTV and blur reduction

Post by RealNC » 12 Oct 2016, 00:33

You need to test the TV for its lag. Most TVs have too much lag. Some are at "acceptable" levels of lag. And very few are at low levels of lag. But AFAIK, nobody tests them for that.

So... buy at your own risk.

Also, TVs don't accept a 120Hz signal unless you happen to have an overclockable TV:

http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv

All TVs that advertise something higher than 60, actually only accept 60Hz input and interpolate to 120 or higher. Overclocking the TV is the only way to get past 60.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.