White horizontal lines on my Benq XL2420Z monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
wafflecookie

White horizontal lines on my Benq XL2420Z monitor

Post by wafflecookie » 15 Oct 2016, 12:20

http://imgur.com/a/bSxq5
So i just got this the other day and been kinda frustrated about it since, it looks like some burn in and aswell not, i have no experience in it

I have Unplugging the DVI cable from my PC and it was still on the benq boot-up logo.

I also got told by someone the jscreensaver they call it with the white burn pure in, but im still not so sure i tried leaving it turned off for over 15 hours and it was faded most away but came back slowly again. It seems to be some burn in that wont disappear once the monitor is on. :x

Falkentyne

Re: White horizontal lines on my Benq XL2420Z monitor

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Oct 2016, 12:44

That looks like a browser window up there. Or some other application.

Don't leave browser windows sitting static all day or leaving the window up all night. You can tell that's a browser window or another pane by how the top one looks.

15 hours isn't good enough. You will probably have to run jscreenfix deluxe overnight for about a week.

It also helps if you run it at 60hz refresh rate with blur reduction disabled (without a VT tweak) or maybe 144hz (if you don't see faint horizontal scanlines at 144hz; if you do, try 60hz).

To stop them from reoccurring often, when you're done gaming, disable blur reduction and switch back to 60hz (or 144, if no scanlines) instead of your refresh rates with VT tweaks active, and don't leave the browser or application windows sitting there. I believe that having a browser window active 24/7 or overnight in combination with a VT tweak active and blur reduction enabled just makes the issue worse.

wafflecookie

Post by wafflecookie » 15 Oct 2016, 13:52

I've always had blue reduction Off in my benq options unless you meant somewhere else, and by that you're saying it looks like a browser i do agree with you, i've actually used a black google chrome theme where there was a little white line and it looks to align with that line so i see where it could come from i've already taken the theme off and now it just the common google chrome theme, but i dont understand i dont normally have my windows browser standing or leave it there, i just appear to watch twitch.tv alot and browse etc, and also what is VT Tweaks, im not familiar with it.

I haven't tried using jscreenfix yet but i have it installed i just dont know how to proper use it yet?

Btw, this is the theme ive been using https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... pmkpchdhpk if you look at it you can see under the searchbar what im talking about that probably caused it.

also is there a way i can prevent this like having a white or black background other than doing the jscreenfix? I still dont understand fully whats the cause.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Oct 2016, 14:23

It's called image persistence burn in and it isn't permanent on LCD screens, and no I don't know what causes it other than leaving an image sitting for a long time. On CRT's it's permanent. Plasmas, maybe I don't know. It seems to happen much more frequently on the newer 144hz IPS displays when running overlays but again I really don't know.

Black and white contrasting borders and lines combined with leaving the monitor sitting there overnight, especially as time goes on.
In your first post you mentioned you did try pure white burn.

And you can download jscreenfix deluxe for free now, it's a java application. Run it, and select pure white burn and leave it there overnight each night. Disable any screen savers or any power saving options for the monitor or computer so it remains there.

wafflecookie

Post by wafflecookie » 21 Oct 2016, 15:29

Hey, i just wanna write back real quick beacuse you could see that the 2 upper horizontal lines was from a browser i understand that and just by changing the theme they're legit both gone i didnt even try pure burn yet but theyre just so faint that it isnt bothering anymore on the other hand the only horizontal line thats visible now is the lower middle one, when i start my pc its very faint and then it starts getting stronger and thinner by time and just reapeats on daily basis, but i just cant see how did that line came? http://imgur.com/weS8kgY This is the line that is basically under the center of the screen and it's the only one thats really bothering? I will try be listening the whole problem somewhere else aswell for some experienced people with this

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 21 Oct 2016, 23:08

No idea about that one. Try the burnin white burn test thing with jscreenfix deluxe and leave it on overnight a few nights; use 60hz refresh rate for best results, and blur reduction off.

wafflecookie

Post by wafflecookie » 22 Oct 2016, 08:15

ok thanks.