Best monitor now? Money no object

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
incidentflux

Best monitor now? Money no object

Post by incidentflux » 29 Oct 2016, 15:45

Curious to know what's the best of the best monitor or top monitors available to buy at the moment.

Basically covering all the fundamentals.

1. Wide Gamut DCI-P3 etc.
2. 144Hz or fastest.
3. Color accurate.
4. Widest viewing angle.

A monitor both graphics artists and gamers can call the best.

Money no object.

Waddo

Re: Best monitor now? Money no object

Post by Waddo » 30 Oct 2016, 06:34

check out the CFG70 series that just came out...http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 476#p22476
there is also the $5000 UP3017Q OLED but stock is seemingly unavailable
there is the 2013 eizo 240 if you switch to contrast instead of colors
you can count the number of 1ms va or ips wide gamut type screens on one hand...
the monitor that does everything doesn't exist yet...
it seems phones and TVs are years ahead in that game...its a conspiracy I tell you...

incidentflux

Post by incidentflux » 31 Oct 2016, 17:57

You may have a point with mobile displays

MediaTek Demonstrates 120 Hz Mobile Display
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8852/medi ... le-display

Near future is looking fast and pixel dense.
AOC also announced the AG271UG, a 4K display with a 75Hz refresh rate, a feat that has been achieved by ‘overclocking’ the DisplayPort 1.2 standard, which is pencilled in for a November launch.

Additionally, AOC mentioned that its future plans include gaming displays with a whopping 240Hz refresh rate, pencilled in for next year. But unfortunately, aside from an expectation of potentially higher prices, few other details slipped out about these 240Hz products.
http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/moni ... nch-event/

Waddo

Post by Waddo » 02 Nov 2016, 04:00

240hz is just marketing to bleed more money off people imo, they still won't be 1ms and antiblur or atleast most won't, it can allow black insertion or standard antiblur but needs super high brightness built in..., there will be faster 120-144hz monitors with better contrast/colors etc...like the quantum dot samsung CFG70, but it will allow for super fast tn with colors, contrast and quality be damned...increasing speed needs to be tackled at the bottleneck point to be usefull

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 02 Nov 2016, 05:32

Waddo wrote:240hz is just marketing to bleed more money off people imo, they still won't be 1ms and antiblur or atleast most won't, it can allow black insertion or standard antiblur but needs super high brightness built in..., there will be faster 120-144hz monitors with better contrast/colors etc...like the quantum dot samsung CFG70, but it will allow for super fast tn with colors, contrast and quality be damned...increasing speed needs to be tackled at the bottleneck point to be usefull
I'm not too sure why you think 240hz is just marketing to bleed more money off people, 240hz is quite amazing and i think there is a ton of value in it.

ULMB will probably still be a 120hz feature with very little chance of it ever working at 240hz, but with the reduced persistence you get 4.16ms~ of persistence which is pretty good! ULMB will be IMO not necessary once we hit 420-500hz displays, so there is always that :lol:

I'm very excited!

Edit: i know none of you are saying this but i really don't think they will cost as much as people are saying

"But unfortunately, aside from an expectation of potentially higher prices"

Do they think they are going to be $1000 or something?

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 02 Nov 2016, 13:33

lexlazootin wrote:ULMB will be IMO not necessary once we hit 420-500hz displays, so there is always that :lol:
You also have to hit that number in fps, not just Hz :P .

If the new G-Sync monitors can't do ULMB at more than 120Hz, they will be pretty much useless to me (not an improvement over my current monitor, I mean).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Nov 2016, 15:49

masterotaku wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:ULMB will be IMO not necessary once we hit 420-500hz displays, so there is always that :lol:
You also have to hit that number in fps, not just Hz :P .
Yep.

Also, during extreme conditions, I can see the difference between 0.5ms persistence (MPRT) and 1.0ms persistence (MPRT) during fast motion conditions. During 1920 pixels/second http://www.TestUFO.com animations -- that means 1 pixel motion blurring versus 2 pixel motion blurring, since 1ms of persistence = 1 pixel of motion blurring for every 1000 pixel/second. The higher the resolution, the smaller the pixels, and the bigger the FOV to eyes (e.g. virtual reality goggles) -- so assuming wearing 4K VR goggles, the final frontier actually doesn't stop at 0.5ms persistence (if strobed) or 2000fps @ 2000Hz (if unstrobed) :(

TL;DR: For the blur-free experience, we're stuck with strobing (or other forms of modulation, like CRT/scanning) for a long time. But yes, 500fps@500Hz unstrobed (2ms persistence) will be "good enough" strobeless motion blur elimination for most people for most situations.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Nov 2016, 15:54

Waddo wrote:240hz is just marketing to bleed more money off people imo, they still won't be 1ms and antiblur or atleast most won't, it can allow black insertion or standard antiblur but needs super high brightness built in..., there will be faster 120-144hz monitors with better contrast/colors etc...like the quantum dot samsung CFG70, but it will allow for super fast tn with colors, contrast and quality be damned...increasing speed needs to be tackled at the bottleneck point to be usefull
While 240fps refresh cycles are not as high-quality color (hitting LCD limits...) as lower refresh rates, 240Hz is not useless considering it provides a method of significant blur reduction without strobing, for those people who hate strobing.

It allows ~4ms persistence without strobing, assuming LCD pixel transitions manage to complete sufficiently quickly between refresh cycles. Still not as blur-free as LightBoost (2ms strobes) and other strobe backlights (some adjustable to sub-1ms levels).

I personally prefer 120Hz IPS strobed VSYNC ON (low-latency variants) over 240Hz TN strobeless, but it is my eyes that love framerate==refreshrate==stroberate.

Competition gamers will probably be attracted to the 240Hz monitor like bees to honey, as it cuts motion blur in half compared to 120Hz monitors, while (likely) improving latency. With high-refresh-rate operaton, one can really feel the difference between 125Hz, 500Hz and 1000Hz mice, and 240Hz will provide benefits to some users who's loves the blur-free benefits of LightBoost but hate the latency/flicker of LightBoost (e.g. pro-gamer finely-attuned sensitivity). Goals of best fluid motion quality is sometimes contradictory to goal of ideal competition displays, so personal preferences will vary.

Pick your respective poisons (color quality, motion blur, lag, etc), there is no 'perfect' monitor. If you have always been sensitive to motion blur and 144Hz unstrobed monitors are more motion-blurry than CRTs you loved, then you'll definitely want strobing. Others will care far more for very good OLED/IPS color and/or variable refresh rates (e.g. GSYNC/FreeSync) and yet others will care more for minimum possible latency (high-refresh-rate TN, usually with strobing distabled).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

incidentflux

Post by incidentflux » 04 Nov 2016, 06:48

Not sure how much strobing will be effective in combination with high refresh rates, with high frames per second with high dynamic range.

I think I found the best display. Weighs as much as a CRT (Weight: 48.1kg (106 lbs)), has to!
Love this quote "We've been fighting the loss of the CRT".

Dolby Professional Reference Monitor PRM-4220
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional ... -4220.html

The story behind Dolby Professional Reference Monitor PRM-4200
https://youtu.be/C8QcbgpmIMU

Web Tech - Ep 21
https://youtu.be/GtHvK0-TfDY

Code: Select all

*Dual Modulation Technology
Outlasts all other display types in color accuracy and provides absolute black levels, with true blacks and superior dark details

*Support for 3D LUTs (including Nucoda LUTs)
Allows calibration to perfectly match digital screening environments and to emulate the response of film-print stocks during the digital intermediate color-correction process

*High Frame Rate Support
Supports high frame rates (HFR): 48 frames per second (fps) and 60 fps

*42-Inch Flat Panel Display with 1920 × 1080 Pixel Resolution
Delivers a wide viewing angle of 90 degrees horizontal (45 degrees on either side of the center point) and a refresh rate of 120 Hz

*External Remote Controller
Gives you offscreen, intuitive access to all features, functions, and parameters through simple, easy-to-use menus; can be rackmounted or used on the desktop

*Light Illusion© LightSpace Color Management System
Validates calibration, generates test patterns, and creates and loads 1D and 3D LUTs into the monitor via Ethernet for monitor-matching, pre-vis looks, and other LUT uses