Benq Low Blue Light DIY?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MrBrown

Benq Low Blue Light DIY?

Post by MrBrown » 07 Feb 2014, 15:04

So in the new Z monitor series Benq introduced a new function called "low blue light". Heres a video:

http://www.benq.com/microsite/eye-care- ... s/lbl.html

Now I wondered if we can do a sort of DIY equivalent on our XL2420T/TE by just creating a profile with reduced blues in the monitor settings.

Do you guys think its essentially the same?

There is a nice program as well called f.lux which I use at work and really like, but I think reducing blue color in the monitor profile and making a new profile is more "low level" blue light reduction.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Benq Low Blue Light DIY?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2014, 01:52

I think it's done by color manipulation, so F.lux would do the job.

However, it's best to do it natively in the monitor, because of LUTs -- most of the time, less banding in colors will occur if you let the monitor do the gamma curve manipulation, rather than the graphics card.

The XL2420TE already has the Low Blue Light mode. It's the older XL2420T that doesn't have it and needs a 3rd party utility.

Doesn't affect dark colors/blacks, as the LEDs are unmodified, although it's possible BENQ are using higher quality lower-blue-light LEDs in some panels (but it's doubtful, as several monitors use similar panels).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 09 Feb 2014, 09:48

Oh ok, I see- I have the XL2420T v2 (european version), which is supposed to be the same as TE, and I cant find the Low Blue Light setting.

However Ive just created a profile with custom color levels, where I reduced the blue color to like 30 (rest is 100) and it does seem to give less eye fatigue during late hours. In fact im even using the same profile during the day and it doesnt disturb me.

Its essentially the same as if you wear Gunnar Optiks all the time, except it costs you 0 dollars.
Falkentynes BenQ Service Menu thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Feb 2014, 03:58

MrBrown wrote:Oh ok, I see- I have the XL2420T v2 (european version), which is supposed to be the same as TE, and I cant find the Low Blue Light setting.
Maybe you were scammed? :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

MrBrown

Post by MrBrown » 27 Feb 2014, 05:17

No its definately the real one, since it supports 144hz natively, which the XL2420T v1 didnt support.

TSM

Post by TSM » 27 Feb 2014, 06:01

Seems like this would throw your color temperature right out the window. As you reduce blue the color of white on display would shift yellow. As the back light is still performing normally in other modes, this would indicate that all the display is doing is manipulating the contrast and gamma ratios of red, green and blue. As there is no hardware involved in the display doing this, you should be able to replicate something similar yourself. You'd have to figure out exactly how benq is getting these results, then it could be as simple as generating the appropriate ICC file for windows color management.

Having said all that, the simplest option to get something similar without any fuss would just be to select a lower color temperature from your monitors OSD or turn the blue drive down. However you wouldn't get the tailored image the benq is boasting. You'd just get an image with less blue.