Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
cometoday

Re: Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Post by cometoday » 17 Jan 2017, 22:11

Not long ago I bought it, this is a great display, the perfect size, more than 144 smooth, perfect color!a balanced panel, it is hard to believe that this is a 6BIT.

Kirayamato

Post by Kirayamato » 20 Jan 2017, 18:12

Trip wrote:
Q83Ia7ta wrote:Intensity doesn't make anything clearer. Changing it while http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=al ... &height=-1 does change only brightness and nothing more. May be it's in alpha/beta version in this monitor? F/W Version: V001 20160808
Does changing "Intensity" makes motion clearer for you?
I did not really adjust the setting at all before but indeed it does not make the motion clearer. I think it literally only changes the intensity of the light also have the same firmware. So that setting should not alter input latency in this model btw.
did u have to update the firmware to get blur reduction how does it work do you use it rather than normal 240 hz? thanks

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 20 Jan 2017, 18:53

Kirayamato wrote:
Trip wrote:
Q83Ia7ta wrote:Intensity doesn't make anything clearer. Changing it while http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=al ... &height=-1 does change only brightness and nothing more. May be it's in alpha/beta version in this monitor? F/W Version: V001 20160808
Does changing "Intensity" makes motion clearer for you?
I did not really adjust the setting at all before but indeed it does not make the motion clearer. I think it literally only changes the intensity of the light also have the same firmware. So that setting should not alter input latency in this model btw.
did u have to update the firmware to get blur reduction how does it work do you use it rather than normal 240 hz? thanks
I didn't update firmware. I have V001 firmware
EYsbYZz[1].jpg
EYsbYZz[1].jpg (245.04 KiB) Viewed 6364 times
. work like regular blur reduction with less lag at 240Hz.

tungchihyu

Post by tungchihyu » 22 Jan 2017, 08:04

Hello all,

How do you go in to Service Page and turn on the Blur reduction? I can't seem to find a way to enter the Service Page..

Much appreciated!

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 22 Jan 2017, 08:54

tungchihyu wrote:Hello all,

How do you go in to Service Page and turn on the Blur reduction? I can't seem to find a way to enter the Service Page..

Much appreciated!
1. Turn OFF monitor by power button
2. Press and hold menu button (2nd button from right excluding power button)
3. Turn ON monitor by power button
4. Wait few seconds while monitor turns on (wait for desktop show up)
5. Release menu button and press it again
And you will get into "Zowie Service Page".

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jan 2017, 11:53

Hello,

As most regular Blur Busters readers now know, most "blur reduction modes" in modern gaming monitors use a strobe backlight (similar to LightBoost), flashing the backlight once a refresh cycle to achieve the zero-motion CRT quality motion. That said, I see some relatively new forum members, so I'll chime in, as it can be tricky to determine whether blur reduction is working or not, especially when we're well above 120Hz.

240fps@240Hz will have almost no difference between strobed/nonstrobed during 240ppf (Pixels Per Frame) motion and less.
You will really need to move objects really fast to see strobing-based blur reduction. Also, I'd expect that crosstalk will be a little problematic at 240Hz strobing, so you may need to back it off a little if the monitor supports strobing at custom refresh rates (does it? -- I'm curious) just below 240Hz.

One easy way to test for subtle improvements in motion blur
I highly recommend the Moving Map Readability Test, at least 1440ppf speed or faster. At non-strobed 240Hz, you still won't be able to easily read the street name labels, so you need strobing in order to read the map labels at these speeds.

Once you enable blur reduction, everything in Moving Map will be very clear at 1440ppf and 1920ppf. Then you can begin experimenting. To test subtle differences (e.g. 0.25ms vs 0.5ms vs 1.0ms strobe duty cycles), you want this TestUFO Moving Map test as fast as possible, such as 1920ppf or 3000ppf -- full screen -- as fast as your eyes can keep up. Sit approximately arm's length away from your monitor when doing this test. Then start adjusting your monitor's settings. Find picture adjustments that adjusts strobe length (Even test brightness/contrast, "duty cycle", "strobe length", "clarity" -- names vary a lot between monitors). At 1920ppf, a 0.5ms strobe length difference results in 0.5 * 1920th = ~1 pixel of motion blur added. So an increment of 0.5ms of strobe cycle length may actually mean the difference between readability and non-readability. That's why I like the Moving Map test, as it's the easiest way to human-see a 0.5ms strobe-length difference. Adjusting while doing a Moving Map Test, will reveal which picture adjustments adjust your strobe length.

Mathematically, the motion blur size is very simple for squarewave strobe backlights:
Every 1ms of strobe flash length = adds 1 pixel of motion blur during 1000 pixels/second.
(i.e. 2ms strobe length at 2000 pixels/sec will result in 4 pixels of motion blurring, assuming framerate equalling refreshrate).

How to apply this in real-world games
Similar situations where blur reduction can help in games: fine print on walls while turning in FPS shooters, to trying to glance far-away enemies while in the middle of a 180 flick, to things like trying to shoot objects from fast-moving vehicles (or things like the roller coaster in BioShock) -- anything that creates fast smooth panning motion that forces you to track your eyes to target anything -- situations that are not easily snipeable by being stationary. For best fluidity of strobed operation, framerate-refreshrate-locked motion functions best for motion clarity, stroberate == framerate == refreshrate all matching, plus having an ultra-smooth mousepad + mouse poll rate very high, e.g. >1000) (BlurBuster Mouse Guide) ...

Situations where strobe-based motion blur reduction may not help
Many competition gamers just stare stationary at crosshairs but that is a motion-blur-independent tactic (much like staring at UFO #1 at http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking ...) so you need to run into use-cases where you're forced to track your eyes in order to gain any gaming/competitive advantage (e.g. shooting while whole screen is scrolling/turning fast, and the need to track eyes on moving objects across the screen plane, etc). In these situations where reaction time improvements of blur reduction exceeds the lag penalty of blur reduction itself (which would be extremely small at 240Hz) it can be a competitive advantage. But it is very highly dependant on a case-by-case basis, and gaming tactics. Also if you are unable to maintain a lock (framerate == refreshrate == stroberate), you will just get a lot of jittery motion rather than dreamy smooth Nintendo-smooth arcade-smooth CRT-like super-duper motion fludity, and your mouse can be the microstutter weak link during strobed modes (you need your mouse turn left/right to be as smooth as keyboard strafe left/right -- very few mice can do it equally as smooth as that during strobing).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vantavia

Post by Vantavia » 25 Jan 2017, 18:22

So this monitor basically has "dyac" but they hid it in the service menu?

tungchihyu

Post by tungchihyu » 25 Jan 2017, 19:47

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
tungchihyu wrote:Hello all,

Much appreciated!
1. Turn OFF monitor by power button
2. Press and hold menu button (2nd button from right excluding power button)
3. Turn ON monitor by power button
4. Wait few seconds while monitor turns on (wait for desktop show up)
5. Release menu button and press it again
And you will get into "Zowie Service Page".

Thank you!! I will try it out tonight!!

tungchihyu

Post by tungchihyu » 25 Jan 2017, 19:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Hello,

As most regular Blur Busters readers now know, most "blur reduction modes" in modern gaming monitors use a strobe backlight (similar to LightBoost), flashing the backlight once a refresh cycle to achieve the zero-motion CRT quality motion. That said, I see some relatively new forum members, so I'll chime in, as it can be tricky to determine whether blur reduction is working or not, especially when we're well above 120Hz.

This is a very informative post. Thank you Chief!

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 26 Jan 2017, 03:57

Vantavia wrote:So this monitor basically has "dyac" but they hid it in the service menu?
If dyac is just a blur reduction mode then answer yes. May be this blur reduction mode in XL2540 is unfinished because "Intensity" seems like doesn't work.