Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
iamwinner

Re: Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Post by iamwinner » 23 Feb 2017, 04:27

Blaskotron wrote:Do any owners notice any kind of vertical line texturing during movement? Sometimes called pixel inversion.

I returned my PG278Q due to this issue but it seems to be a normal artifact with that panel.

This is likely the same panel as the upcoming Acer and Asus 240hz monitors so would be good to know whether I should avoid all three.
i did and its very annoying, but hard to catch on camera because how feint those lines are. they looks like this (but in this photo i'm not sure if it is not just pixel grid).
i will try to make photo of them.

Blaskotron

Post by Blaskotron » 23 Feb 2017, 14:11

If its while moving only then its the inversion I'm talking about. If its not moving then its just the pixel grid.

This is an example from a review of a Dell S2716DG.
S2716DG-interlace-patterns.jpg
S2716DG-interlace-patterns.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 7365 times

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 23 Feb 2017, 14:42

so of the 3 240Hz monitors so far which one is the "best" overall.

ASUS PG258Q
BenQ-Zowie XL2540
AOC AGON AG251FZ

I know the ASUS one has G-Sync, which may/may not be a feature I'd care about.

But say all 3 monitors were the same cost, and not counting FreeSync or GSync which one is the "best"

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2017, 15:07

Yep, it's a typical inversion pattern (...it helps prevents buildup of static voltages in the LCD, and prevents burn-in on LCD...) which has a side effect of creating a faint griddy or checkerboard/cross-hatch sheen on an image. It's sometimes easier to see during strobing/3D usage. It can also vary in visibility during framerate changes in FreeSync/GSYNC too.

Some monitors have this very faint, and some monitors have it much more visible. (And occasionally if inversion is defective, it can look 10x worse than these images). These images appear to look normal (par for the course).

Most high-refresh-rate ultrafast-response TN monitors have this, while it's much more subdued on IPS.

More reading:
-- Lagom Pixel Walk
-- TestUFO Inversion
-- Techmind's Technical Explanation of Inversion's Purpose
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

iamwinner

Post by iamwinner » 23 Feb 2017, 15:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Yep, it's a typical inversion pattern (...it helps prevents buildup of static voltages in the LCD, and prevents burn-in on LCD...) which has a side effect of creating a faint griddy or checkerboard/cross-hatch sheen on an image. It's sometimes easier to see during strobing/3D usage. It can also vary in visibility during framerate changes in FreeSync/GSYNC too.

Some monitors have this very faint, and some monitors have it much more visible. (And occasionally if inversion is defective, it can look 10x worse than these images). These images appear to look normal (par for the course).

Most high-refresh-rate ultrafast-response TN monitors have this, while it's much more subdued on IPS.

More reading:
-- Lagom Pixel Walk
-- TestUFO Inversion
-- Techmind's Technical Explanation of Inversion's Purpose
Why it this effect has vertical lines on some monitors and checkerboard pattern on other? (vertical lines are more noticeable).
Can this be reason to return monitor? if constantly notice them because i sit pretty close to monitor.

If this thing is XL2540, it will 100% be on AOC, ACER, ASUS that use same LCD panel?

also one question, why in this test - http://www.testufo.com/#test=flicker&co ... height=240 i see solid almost colour on one monitor (with some kind of checkerboard pattern) and line hundreds on vertical lines (it looks like 1 line of pixel grid or more bright than 2 other) on XL2540? is it normal? when I turn override ON and boost up override value, first it goes violet/pink with with a lot of "noise" type pixels and if i continue to raise OD value it finally goes into solid grey colour.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Feb 2017, 09:07

Comanglia wrote:so of the 3 240Hz monitors so far which one is the "best" overall.

ASUS PG258Q
BenQ-Zowie XL2540
AOC AGON AG251FZ

I know the ASUS one has G-Sync, which may/may not be a feature I'd care about.

But say all 3 monitors were the same cost, and not counting FreeSync or GSync which one is the "best"
It depends. G-Sync is dope, you get low latency tear-free gaming. it's literally the best monitor feature that a lot of people don't realize how good it is. But on the other hand, Blur reduction is also a dope feature that a few people on this forum also very much love.

Personally i would go for the Asus for the G-Sync and the nice response times, A lot of others would got for the Benq for the more configurable Blur reduction. It's your choice.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2017, 09:23

iamwinner wrote:also one question, why in this test - http://www.testufo.com/#test=flicker&co ... height=240 i see solid almost colour on one monitor (with some kind of checkerboard pattern) and line hundreds on vertical lines (it looks like 1 line of pixel grid or more bright than 2 other) on XL2540? is it normal? when I turn override ON and boost up override value, first it goes violet/pink with with a lot of "noise" type pixels and if i continue to raise OD value it finally goes into solid grey colour.
As long as it is within visibility guidelines (i.e. equal to the average identical monitor) this is normal due to different inversion patterns on different LCDs. I also see hundreds of vertical lines on the ROG PG278Q too, but not on the XL2411Z.

If you see a very noticeable pattern during stationary images, that doesn't happen to other users, then that's more unusual.

It is possible that monitor reviews should begin recording images of inversion pattern lines; and how easily (what type of motions) they appear.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

iamwinner

Post by iamwinner » 24 Feb 2017, 09:35

is there any way to make them less noticeable?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2017, 11:11

You can't completely eliminate it, but you can attenuate it to an extent, sometimes to "too faint to be noticed" (but not on all screens). It varies a lot from monitor to monitor model, and even from panel run to panel run (e.g. AUO vs Samsung panels etc) as one monitor model can use panels from different manufacturers.

-- Adjust refresh rate (e.g. 120Hz vs 144Hz)
-- Turn off ULMB/LightBoost (pushing panels to limit can amplify the artifacts)
-- Warm up the screen first. If you're playing in a very cold room, give 30 minutes for warmup. (Artifacts won't comletely fade, but may be half as visible). This also helps ghosting, as we know cold LCDs can ghost more than warm LCDs (like forgetting a smartphone in your freezing car in the middle of winter).
-- Lastly, if you are using large "Vertical Total" tricks, try reducing Vertical Total (faster scanout can result in more intense inversion artifacts).

Inversion pattern differences on different panels, can mean some patterns are more intense on some screens for one kind of motion (vertical lines during flicker) a different sceen might be more intense for a different kind of motion (fine-checkerboard-pattern during smooth pans -- aka "Pixel Walk"). Screens that tend to produce certain kinds of inversion artifacts behave differently (i.e. needs different kinds of screen action occuring).

That's why inversion patterns at Lagom has multiple choices -- Lagom Pixel Walk Patterns since different panels use different techniques to do inversion (positive-vs-negative voltage balancing algorithms).

demannu

Post by demannu » 25 Feb 2017, 05:12

Could someone please help? I just got this monitor and an rx 480 nitro to go with it.

I have it connected via the included displayport cable but I cant can only see 144hz in the refresh options.. am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers!