Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Damage Melody

Re: Presenting the ZOWIE XL2540 240Hz

Post by Damage Melody » 08 Apr 2017, 07:13

Guys does anyone know answers to my questions above? Or should I ask them somewhere else?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2017, 10:35

Damage Melody wrote:Hi guys, I got this monitor yesterday, was on 60hz before.
I have few questions:
- In service menu, when I check Blue Reduction I can't really feel any difference on screen or in tests. Does it really work or I should change my testing methods? My F\W version is V002 20161101 and changing Intensity changes brightness which was v1 bug and should be fixed in my v2?
You'll want to test using http://www.testufo.com -- most particularly http://www.testufo.com/photo
Do you see a difference with ON/OFF.
Damage Melody wrote:If I get AMD card, will FreeSync work? I heard it has some problems and was "removed" but it like actually works with DP cable but I have not found a 100% proof of that.
Reportedly, this monitor works with FreeSync, in a 48Hz-240Hz range.
BENQ isn't marketing it, however... But they aren't marketing the Blur Reduction features of this monitor either.
Damage Melody wrote:I use DP cable but sometimes my monitor uses HDMI input first for some reason and only then switches to DP, any way to fix that?
Nothing is connected to HDMI?
Damage Melody wrote:I don't get the use of VT tweaks posted here as I don't see BR working. Are they useful only for BR? I don't see any crosstalk with BR on or off.
If you're not seeing a double-image effect at full framerate for http://www.testufo.com/photo -- then you're lucky. You'll want to check out Motion Blur Reduction FAQ to see what strobe crosstalk looks like.
Damage Melody wrote:edit: I finally saw BR in work. Difference is so small compared to 240hz. So my question now: does these VT tweaks like 182hz 1584VT (pic above) can improve my experience in any way without BR on?
182Hz 1584VT is mainly useful for BR. Large vertical totals do not help VSYNC OFF gaming, although (if used properly). It can slightly decrease non-BR VSYNC ON input lag for lower refreshes than max (but you'd either use maximum refresh rate, and competition/champion gamers do not use VSYNC ON, so this is likely moot)
Damage Melody wrote:I love to watch pro Overwatch guy, he has this monitor. He said recently that he had switched to 144hz on this monitor because he found that on 240hz 'picture does not match gameplay' he didn't went in details but how it's could be? He is a word champing in Quake so I trust him. But I don't get what can cause that. Any ideas?
Without further information, it's hard to say what he means. Maybe he meant microstutters? Color quality? (240Hz can be a little worse color quality than 144Hz). There can be harmonics in microstutters that look bad at certain refresh rates in certain games, as many games are not optimized for 240fps / 240Hz -- perhaps Overwatch is one of them? Please note, this answer is a just guess.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Elixir

Post by Elixir » 26 Apr 2017, 06:00

Anyone have any recommendations for configuring this monitor? I'm using the FPS 1 preset and it's fine in-game but I'd like something for desktop use as well.

Dew

Post by Dew » 26 Apr 2017, 07:46

Dynamic overdrive was mentioned in the Freesync/G-Sync comparison thread on these forums. The G-Sync module apparently handles this task. To me this sounds like a very important feature to have so the image stays as ghost free as possible as it transitions through various refresh rates.

Acer Predator XB252Q is $530 (G-Sync 240Hz)
BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 is $500 (Freesync 240Hz)

I think $30 is a reasonable premium for dynamic overdrive. Can anyone confirm the lack of dynamic overdrive on the XL2540?

Elixir

Post by Elixir » 26 Apr 2017, 08:34

I also need to know what intesity/area I should be using, if I do choose to use 240hz with blur reduction on. Should they just be left as their defaults?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Apr 2017, 11:25

Elixir wrote:I also need to know what intesity/area I should be using, if I do choose to use 240hz with blur reduction on. Should they just be left as their defaults?
Area is calibrated while watching TestUFO Alien Invasion in Full Screen mode. Basically any full-screen perfect-smooth horizontal panning.

As you adjust strobe phase (timing of strobe backlight flash) -- the strobe crosstalk zone (a horizontal band of double-images) will shift upwards/downwards. Also, using Larger Vertical Totals will allow you to push the strobe crosstalk zone more off the bottom edge of the screen before it wrapsaround back to the top edge. So, if your target is best quality blur reduction -- for XL2540 I recommend ~182Hz for the reduced double-image-effect over 240Hz if your goal is maximal Blur Reduction clarity over other factors.

P.S. New Info: Why Do Large Vertical Totals Improve Quality of Blur Reduction?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Elixir

Post by Elixir » 26 Apr 2017, 15:33

To be honest I don't notice a difference between between 180 and 240 with BR on and they both seem inferior to using the vg248qe at 120 using Strobe Light at 10% brightness, but my take away from the situation is that the new monitor definitely has a better overall picture in comparison to the Asus monitor which I have been using for the last 2 years

I'm not sure this is just a placebo but is there any way of making the monitor look anything close to what the vg248qe monitor looks like at 10% brightness using Strobe Light?

I haven't done any extensive testing I'm just using the aliens on testufo site. For what it's worth I have no trouble keeping over 240 frames per second to match the monitors.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Apr 2017, 19:25

Elixir wrote:To be honest I don't notice a difference between between 180 and 240 with BR on and they both seem inferior
Are you using large Vertical Totals, and then adjusting Area setting, to reduce the double-image effect?

Also, you can mimic LightBoost 10% by using a shorter "Strobe Duty" setting in service menu -- that makes motion clearer. Keep brightness at maximum, but lower the Strobe Duty.

Elixir

Post by Elixir » 27 Apr 2017, 07:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Elixir wrote:To be honest I don't notice a difference between between 180 and 240 with BR on and they both seem inferior
Are you using large Vertical Totals, and then adjusting Area setting, to reduce the double-image effect?

Also, you can mimic LightBoost 10% by using a shorter "Strobe Duty" setting in service menu -- that makes motion clearer. Keep brightness at maximum, but lower the Strobe Duty.
What is the strobe duty called in the service page? All I see is blue reduction, intensity and area as seen here: http://display-corner.epfl.ch/images/8/ ... XL2540.png. If I set intensity to 25, which is the darkest, it still doesn't look as good as Light Boost did at 10% on my Asus.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Apr 2017, 12:48

To make your monitor look as good as Lightboost (assuming you are also using custom Vertical Total values to reduce Strobe Crosstalk (I recommend Area=0 if doing VT tweaks), please change the "OD Gain" setting in the FACTORY MENU. Some people said an OD gain of 30 looked decent. The factory menu unlock code should have been unchanged; check my "tweak" thread in the Benq section, as I dont know if Strobemaster mentioned it on his website where you found the service menu picture. OD Gain changes are not persistent and will reset as soon as resolution changes. Even your old Asus had the "OD Gain" setting, which actually worked in Lightboost mode (changing OD gain from 0F to 0C would make ghosting even lower on your Asus).

Strobe Duty was renamed as Intensity. Area used to be called Strobe Phase.

However it operates (afaik) in inverse values than the older Benq monitors (Area still operates the same way as before, however).

On the XL2411Z, XL2420Z and XL2720Z, strobe duty 001 was shortest persistence (dimmest screen, most motion blur reduction) while strobe duty 030 was longest persistence (Brightest screen, very little blur reduction). The XL2430T renamed these two values as Intensity and Area, in the OSD, but they were still Strobe Duty and Strobe Phase in the service menu (since the scaler was still Mstar 8556T). On newer monitors, it's Intensity and Area only, and I believe Intensity 25 is now shortest persistence (which would be equal to strobe duty 001 on the older monitors).