LG 24GM77 issue

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Erecshyrinol

LG 24GM77 issue

Post by Erecshyrinol » 10 Nov 2016, 17:23

I'm on my second 24GM77. Horizontal scanlines are near invisible at 120hz and faintly visible at 144hz in the lower left corner of the screen so I decided to count my blessings and stick with it, despite some clouding, light bleed and even a stuck pixel. Just had to get this out of the way first, because I feel more people should be talking about scanlines on high refresh rate LCDs.

The problem that I have is with crushed black detail. When I first set the monitor up, I could lower the Black Equalizer to 0 and still easily pass the Lagom black level test. The white saturation test did great as well, even 254 was visible. And all this on the first gamma preset.

I have no idea what it is that I did (I didn't touch the service menu or really did anything out of the ordinary), but now the blacks are severely crushed with black equalizer all the way down. The darkest two rows are completely gone. On 50, only the darkest three blocks are kaputt -- and that's using the brightest gamma preset which makes the overall image very washed out. I've disabled all ICC profiles, there should be nothing in Windows interfering unless there's some sort of bug at play.

Resetting monitor settings doesn't help.

I sure as hell hope this is not some sort of an irreversible OSD bug.

Are any fellow owners out there able to help out?

Erecshyrinol

Re: LG 24GM77 issue

Post by Erecshyrinol » 11 Nov 2016, 21:17

Nevermind this thread, it turns out it's just another piece of shit that unsurprisingly survived QA. I thought it's maybe a software issue that could be worked around, but nah.

It was alright again this morning, but the monitor goes batshit like this after being turned on for several hours. Blacks and highlights start crushing.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Nov 2016, 21:55

Didn't Strobemaster say that changing ANY settings on the monitor causes the colors to get messed up?

http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/LG_24GM77

Erecshyrinol

Post by Erecshyrinol » 12 Nov 2016, 07:27

Falkentyne wrote:Didn't Strobemaster say that changing ANY settings on the monitor causes the colors to get messed up?

http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/LG_24GM77
The issue he is referring to is minute details that are imperceptible for a colorful game like Overwatch. The issue here is unrelated to that anyway, because it occurs on the factory settings as well. What happens is almost like the bad choking you get without configuring HDMI range when using that connection.

At first I thought it was the cable I was using. Yesterday, I ditched my DP and I switched to the DVI cable supplied with the monitor and everything was fine and I was happy. Several hours pass however and blacks and highlights go to shit once again. It actually becomes hard to identify targets in a darker map like Gibraltar. So I resort to tinkering with gamma to salvage some detail but then everything looks washed out.

I thought my machine is the culprit so I used another and sure enough, same thing.

I just got out of bed so I bet if I turned it on now, it would be ok again for several hours. I could live with this if turning the monitor on and off would solve the issue, but it needs longer downtime (multiple hours, possibly the entire night) to "recover" from whatever it is that's happening internally.