IIyama GB2488HSU-B2 - no direct drive? Ghosting?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
dcf

IIyama GB2488HSU-B2 - no direct drive? Ghosting?

Post by dcf » 15 Nov 2016, 12:39

Hello,

From what I've read in the reviews, this monitor is supposed to have the "direct drive" feature, but I don't see any way to activate it from OSD. Was it only available in B1 version of the monitor and is not present in B2 anymore?

The second issue I have is that no matter what overdrive settings I use, I tend to get ghosting/blurring of text while scrolling - but only on some backgrounds (for example light blue background and black text).

Overall this monitor doesn't seem as responsive as lg24gm77 that I used to own. I don't know if it makes any sense, but 144hz doesn't feel like 144hz on it (yes, I have proper settings in nvidia control panel).

Is there anything I can do? Firmware update maybe? (can't seem to find anything on the internet related to firmware of this monitor though)

Falkentyne

Re: IIyama GB2488HSU-B2 - no direct drive? Ghosting?

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Nov 2016, 13:26

Didn't that monitor require a firmware update for it?
some review mentioned that directdrive didn't work at 144hz and Ilyama supplied them an updated firmware which enabled it. But then some end users attempted to contact ilyama and they claimed no such firmware existed. And this was posted on the forums with that review with customers claiming Ilyama was lying.

Well it does exist.
Contact them or call them on the phone and demand to speak to a HIGH LEVEL TECH or ENGINEER, as they know about the existence of the firmware and can't deny its existence.

dcf

Post by dcf » 15 Nov 2016, 13:52

Falkentyne wrote:Didn't that monitor require a firmware update for it?
some review mentioned that directdrive didn't work at 144hz and Ilyama supplied them an updated firmware which enabled it. But then some end users attempted to contact ilyama and they claimed no such firmware existed. And this was posted on the forums with that review with customers claiming Ilyama was lying.

Well it does exist.
Contact them or call them on the phone and demand to speak to a HIGH LEVEL TECH or ENGINEER, as they know about the existence of the firmware and can't deny its existence.
If it exists and people actually have access to it, why won't someone just upload it?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Nov 2016, 14:22

Because people don't usually care about such things.
When was the last time you saw any firmwares uploaded for ANY monitors that were not already available on the manufacturer's website ?

Only some Russlan users uploaded Benq monitor firmwares higher than V002 when only V2 was available on Benq's old gaming site, and a few people who dumped the firmwares with Linux. I myself made a working backup of the Asus VG248QE firmware which I still have somewhere. But no one cares about it since no one even has the tools to flash the firmware (The MSTAR ISP device can flash the VG248QE; the RT809f can flash the Benq, but the VG248 does not have a VGA port). Also the VG248QE firmware does not seem to contain the DVI EDID in the firmware itself, while the Benq monitors do.

Why don't you be that guy and contact ilyama for the firmware, and once you manage to reach someone who isn't a lemming, then upload it yourself to a onedrive? I could throw it on my own space with the Benq firmwares....