Confused about MPRT test ಡ_ಡ

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Paul

Confused about MPRT test ಡ_ಡ

Post by Paul » 15 Nov 2016, 16:32

I'm really confused at the MPRT test on the website: http://testufo.com/#test=mprt
Trying to test my XL2720Z at 120Hz. For example, when using >those settings<, I can see 3 different images, depending where I focus my eyes. If I focus on the moving alien, I can see the checkerboard pattern (although it's not a perfect checkerboard - the light squares are much smaller than dark squares). If I focus eyes on the slower scrolling background, I can see long vertical lines of black/gray/black/gray...etc. If I focus my eyes in one spot, without moving my eyes, I can see a pattern of bigger gray rectangles and slimmer, smaller black rectangles.

My point of this thread is - I'm confused what to do with my eyes in this test. Should I be trying to trace the moving UFO? This was the first idea that comes to mind, but it becomes increasingly more difficult at 20 and more pixels per frame. At pixel per frame value of 23, the background becomes checkerboard pattern and slowly moves in opposite direction of the UFO. So does this mean I shouldn't be focusing on the UFO anymore, and just keep increasing the number until white squares become equal size as black squares, while focusing on the moving background instead of the UFO? In that case, what would be the significance of that moving UFO? Since there's an UFO, maybe I should be focusing on tracing it after all? But at >20 ppf it becomes dizzingly hard to trace that UFO.

You can see that there's many conflicting thoughts in my mind regarding how to use this test properly. Please tell me where should I focus my eyes during this test. ಡ_ಡ

Edit: maybe I should note that I'm using Blur Reduction ON, VT 1502 tweak, 1080p, 120Hz, strobe duty 4, strobe phase 46, contrast 10, AMA Low, chrome browser.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Confused about MPRT test ಡ_ಡ

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 15 Nov 2016, 16:49

Read description text above. It says clearly at the start: "Instructions: Watch the UFO."
Trace the moving UFO.
At the end of description: "However, this specific test is not yet optimized for ultra-low persistence displays".
It's mostly for camera if it's hard for your eyes (hard for mine also)
http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/u ... 24x576.jpg

Paul

Post by Paul » 15 Nov 2016, 17:08

So, when he wrote "this specific test is not yet optimized for ultra-low persistence displays", should I interpret is at "if you have an ultra-low persistence display, better have a camera to do this test"?
Since it seems my eyes can't handle the higher settings and I don't have a camera to test it, can someone provide me with a rough estimate of what MPRT the XL2720Z would have? I would like to compare it to some results from this article.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 15 Nov 2016, 17:22

Your eyes should be following the UFO. Here are some settings that may be easier for your eye to track for lower persistence displays: http://testufo.com/#test=mprt&backgroun ... t=0&ppf=22

Another way to test persistence is to wave a narrow physical object in front of a solid white screen. The lower the persistence, the clearer/sharper the individual silhouettes.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2016, 11:49

The settings needs to be adjusfed so that the background becomes an even checkerboard (gray squares same size as black squares).

For a more accurate measurement, test both reverses (black on white, white on black) and average the two values.

You will have difficulty once strobing is enabled, as speeds will be too fast to measure with human eye.

This test will be redesigned to be easier in 2017.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Paul

Post by Paul » 25 Nov 2016, 14:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You will have difficulty once strobing is enabled, as speeds will be too fast to measure with human eye.
I reached that conclusion too. The ufo was too fast for my eyes, I got dizzy and eventually stopped trying.