Tearing on monitor without gsync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Paul

Tearing on monitor without gsync

Post by Paul » 19 Nov 2016, 16:27

Quick questions. Assuming that:
- monitor is set to 120Hz strobed
- it doesn't have gsync/freesync
- vsync always off
- uncapped fps in-game is always above refresh rate (usually around 200)

Should I use a frame limiter to avoid tearing? If yes, which frame limiter and what settings should I use? (game doesn't have built-in frame limit option)

Sparky

Re: Tearing on monitor without gsync

Post by Sparky » 19 Nov 2016, 17:06

The only way to get rid of tearing is v-sync g-sync or freesync. With that monitor you get to choose between tearing(vsync off), average of half a frame of latency with occasional stutter(vsync on with framerate limiter), or significantly more latency but without stutter(vsync on, no framerate cap).

If you're going to use a framerate cap, the first choice is an in game cap, and the second choice is RTSS.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Tearing on monitor without gsync

Post by RealNC » 19 Nov 2016, 17:33

You'll need vsync or fastsync (if you can tolerate the micro-stutter with fastsync.)

With vsync, it's very important to set pre-rendered frames to 1 in the nvidia control panel (set it globally,) otherwise even 120Hz vsync is gonna have too much input lag. Use of RTSS and cap to 120FPS is also recommended, as it also helps with vsync input lag.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.