Looking to buy my first 120-144hz monitor - Need advice

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Looking to buy my first 120-144hz monitor - Need advice

Post by RealNC » 23 Nov 2016, 13:43

ball2hi wrote:
RealNC wrote:I have one. I'll just say: "You get what you pay for". At least when it comes to AOC.
So in other words what you're saying is, AOC offers good products but there are still better products out there.
Not exactly. What I'm saying is that AOC has the cheapest offers, and what you get is something that feels to be of the lowest quality.

The AOC I have here (a G2770PF) for example, has worse image quality than my Samsung XL2370 from 2009 (7 years old!), which was an average 60Hz TN-panel gaming monitor (yes, gaming monitors were 60Hz back then, with the "gaming" part referring to no input lag.)

Compared to that monitor, the AOC has more ghosting, worse colors, much worse viewing angles and the overdrive implementation is completely useless. I have overdrive turned off because movement makes stuff appear fat and bold, while it doesn't help with ghosting at all. Fortunately, 100Hz and higher reduces ghosting enough and is about the same as the old 60Hz Samsung. But running the monitor at 60Hz (some games force this mode, Skyrim Special Edition being the most recent example), oh my freakin' god. It's a shit-fest of ghosting and smeared visuals. Fortunately, most games don't force 60Hz and I can use 120Hz with 1/2 vsync instead.

The build quality also seems quite poor; pressing the buttons for the OSD makes them squick (like a door with rusty hinges) and the bezel is not even straight, but slightly deformed at places with bumps on it.

So that's what I meant with "you get what you pay for."

The monitor on its own is still rather expensive, but the thing is that it's still cheaper than other gaming monitors. It's the usual "gaming" label; heavily overpriced in general. There's no way in hell that this AOC monitor is actually worth the $370. It looks and feels like a $150 product. But it's still cheaper than the competing 27" gaming monitors.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Nov 2016, 13:46

ball2hi wrote:I wanted to add here that I am currently using an RX480 from AMD, and that it only has HDMI display ports with only one DVI adapter. Will this prevent me from being able to use 144hz?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-custom- ... Id=5446220
The card you linked has 3xDisplayPort and 1xHDMI. Is that a copy&paste mistake? If not, that card can drive 144Hz just fine through DisplayPort.

DisplayPort is recommended these days. It replaces DVI. Obviously the monitor must support DisplayPort, but all recent gaming monitors do (but always double-check to make sure before you buy.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2016, 14:05

BTW, for those not aware, there's a new Blur Busters 120Hz Monitor Giveaway in progress -- open till Black Friday.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 23 Nov 2016, 16:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:BTW, for those not aware, there's a new Blur Busters 120Hz Monitor Giveaway in progress -- open till Black Friday.
I've posted my fist reply :D . I don't need the monitor, but if I win I'll give it to a friend of mine that doesn't have enough money to buy one (and then I'll try to convince him to get the 3D Vision 2 kit).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

ball2hi

Post by ball2hi » 28 Nov 2016, 19:49

ball2hi wrote:I went with this monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Well I am back. I am probably going to be sending this monitor back because it's giving me waaaaay too many issues. Such as flickering, artifacts, and freesync doesn't even work on the damn display.