Viewsonic XG2401 and Interlace Pattern Artifacts [Inversion]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
dreamer

Viewsonic XG2401 and Interlace Pattern Artifacts [Inversion]

Post by dreamer » 02 Dec 2016, 16:38

Hello folks,

I've been using VS XG2401 for almost 6 months now. I'm quite happy with it.

But recently I've started noticing some woven/fishnet like faint artifacts while playing some games and video contents, like described in this detailed review https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-xg2401/ . The attached image from the review captures that fishnet like artifact quite well (you just need to look bottom left quarter a bit closer)

Looks like these visual disturbances are called interlace pattern artifacts and usually happen in certain speed movements in lighter coloured textures.

The review says these artifacts are kind of common in high refresh rate panels. But I really couldn't find a wide range of complaints about the problem. So I kinda start feeling like I'm alone. The problem is; now I know those artifacts are there my eyes are constantly scanning for them and this turns me paraonid slowly. :D

So my question is; owners of VS XG2401 or similar high refrest rate TN monitors, do you guys happen to see similar faint artifacts or visual disturbances? Any suggestions?

Edit: The fishnet/ woven like artifacts I mentioned appears in that test in the grey grid, when I set the speed to 1p per frame. It's faint, so need to be observed almost point blank. http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion& ... bars&ppf=5
XG24-interlace-patterns.jpg
XG24-interlace-patterns.jpg (244.22 KiB) Viewed 5709 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG2401 and Interlace Pattern Artifacts

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2016, 23:26

Actually google "inversion artifacts". Complaints have come up with amplified inversion artifacts on some high-refresh-rate monitors.

Not often, but it happens...

Not all of them are prone to them, but this definitely looks like an LCD inversion pattern (a grid of positive and negative voltages that flips polarity every other refresh cycle)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

dreamer

Re: Viewsonic XG2401 and Interlace Pattern Artifacts

Post by dreamer » 05 Dec 2016, 14:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Actually google "inversion artifacts". Complaints have come up with amplified inversion artifacts on some high-refresh-rate monitors.

Not often, but it happens...

Not all of them are prone to them, but this definitely looks like an LCD inversion pattern (a grid of positive and negative voltages that flips polarity every other refresh cycle)

Thanks for the reply Chief.

So, those subtle artifacts are the same thing that appears in the grey grid in that test when the speed is set to 1 pixel per frame, right?

http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion& ... bars&ppf=1

I asked some people with Nixeus VUE, Asus MG248 and VG248, they can also see those artifacts in the grey grid in that test when the speed is set to 1 pixel per frame.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG2401 and Interlace Pattern Artifacts [Invers

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Dec 2016, 12:42

Yes, same phenomenon affects all that.

Inversion artifacts are an unavoidable part of a specific monitor, as it is design. Fast-responding panels (e.g. 1ms TN panels) have more inversion artifacts because it's hard to keep the pixels stationary. With 1ms GtG, and 16.7ms between refresh cycles at 60Hz, there's plenty of time for pixels to float (deviate) from its intended GtG value, especially if the positive/negative inversion voltages are not perfectly balanced -- subtle things like ambient temperature, exact refresh rate, and contrast/brightness setting -- can even have an effect on intensity of aritfacts. How it affects that specific model, varies a lot.

For some reason, we see it more often, because at 120Hz+, the monitor limits are being pushed harder, and inversion artifacts become a bigger problem. Strobing also amplifies visiblity of inversion artifacts, as does 3D Vision use, and specific test patterns (such as these).

Side topic -- attempting to disable/defeat inversion (completely remove inversion artifacts) can unfortunately create static-electricity effects on LCD pixels -- creating LCD image retention effects (e.g. TestUFO Flicker Test is a software-based way of defeating LCD inversion on certain models/panels....WARNING, WARNING!) when a flickering screen pattern bypasses the inversion's purpose of eliminating image retention on LCD screens. Erasing LCD retention requires playing full screen video, playing a game, burn-in repair utilities, etc. Usually erased in less than 30 seconds for most LCD screens -- it is not like permanent plasma burn-in (for the majority of LCD displays).

Occasionally a monitor does have much more inversion artifacts (e.g. 10x more intense) than 3 or 4 identical-model monitors, and a valid warranty claim may be possible, but for the most part, inversion artifacts are very much part of monitor limitations such as TN limitations or IPS glow, etc.

And remember inversion amplifies during strobing, 3D, specific refresh rates, unusually low GSYNC refresh rates, and sometimes picture settings (contrast, overdrive, etc). You pretty much can't do much about it for a specific panel/model -- it's an ingrained design limitation. You can't warranty-claim a TN LCD into becoming OLED quality -- likewise, you can't warranty-claim inversion away unless it's unusually defective (e.g. so bad, that it really shows even in Windows Desktop & blatant versus an average-model of same monitor). From your pictures, I think your inversion is normal for that particular model (I think). I've seen 10x worse.

It has also caused resolution issues during 3D Vision too:
http://3dvision-blog.com/9009-some-3d-v ... n-3d-mode/
That's an inversion artifact interfering with 3D Vision clarity on that particular monitor.

TL;DR: Inversion does have a positive purpose -- it prevents your LCD from burning in. You'll just have to tolerate inversion artifacts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

dreamer

Re: Viewsonic XG2401 and Interlace Pattern Artifacts [Invers

Post by dreamer » 06 Dec 2016, 18:24

Thanks a lot for this in depth answer Chief. This clears away most of my questions.

I do have another small question though. Do these artifacts increase or decrease in time? I mean, I didn't really notice them for months. Probably I was just not paying attention or sitting a bit far from the monitor but still I wonder if it can start happening after a while.

That picture was from a XG2401 review though, but in my case it's similarly pronounced. Sometimes I feel like it gets more pronounced momentarily though, but it's probably an optical illusion. What do you think?