TN monitor lifespan

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Paul

TN monitor lifespan

Post by Paul » 10 Dec 2016, 15:37

My XL2720Z has 05300 hours of use time, according to service menu. How many hours can a TN monitor work, usually, before breaking down? I see that in the service menu it can't go past 99999 hours, so my guess is it will break down before 100k hours? xD

Falkentyne

Re: TN monitor lifespan

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Dec 2016, 16:55

Going into the factory menu (NOT the service menu) and choosing "Timer Reset" will reset that number back to 00000.

Theoretically, at 30,000 hours, the backlight will lose half its brightness, but I believe that number is based on having the monitor on 24/7, with the OSD at 100 brightness. So the real effect can change drastically. e.g. if you are using backlight strobing at 1.0ms persistence, the monitor spends most of the refresh period backlight off and only a very fraction of the time on, so clearly that extends backlight life drastically. Now, on Benq blur reduction and Lightboost monitors, backlight current is increased by 1.8x to compensate for strobing's loss of cd/m2. But if the monitor spends 90% of the frame period with the backlight off and 10% with the backlight on, you're still extending the backlight life period anyway.

tl;dr: the ONLY way to know the backlight's lifespan is to use a hardware calibrator on a brand new monitor, and then calibrate it again at 30,000 hours and check for differences needed to return the monitor to the out of the box brightness.

tl;dr2: if not using strobing, run the brightness as low as you can handle comfortably to extend the backlight life, and turn the screen off when you're not using it (something I tend to never do :/)