I can't find a new monitor, everything i try is broken lol

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Q83Ia7ta

Re: I can't find a new monitor, everything i try is broken l

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 19 Dec 2016, 21:27

I have similar experience with BenQ XL2540. My aim is kinda off with 240hz. I was almost sure it's because of input lag. But now after my measurements It's hard to explain.

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 05 Jan 2017, 11:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Sometimes a problem is elsewhere on the input lag chain. When playing with a dozen monitors... For example, any monitor I own can suddenly get 1 extra frame of latency if I screw up with a setting on the PC/Windows side. Something as simple as plugging in a 2nd monitor (e.g. 60Hz or 120Hz) monitor occasionally (not always) screwed around with the input lag of a primary (144Hz) monitor, to a monitor bug that disappeared when I turned off a specific setting. Occasionally it is indeed the monitor settings (I change a setting in the monitor OSD, and BAM, the 1 frame latency disappears -- like even just changing an overdrive setting only). Very monitor dependant. But often I found it was also the OS too. And sometimes I can or can't reproduce, especially on a clean Windows install & graphics driver install. Weird sheninigans that the operating system does, is quite downright annoying when it's hard to troubleshoot sometimes. And once, a little bit latency disappeared when I changed a connection (e.g. switched between video ports on the graphics card) -- does not always happen but it happened at least once. I'm not talking a millisecond, but an actual full frame of latency (e.g. 8ms). There were times I was blaming the monitor when it was actually the OS. Or vice versa. (Ugh, eh!)
Was going to say the issue sounds more like a bug with using multiple monitors / OS or maybe something as simple as Instant Input or AMA = OFF happened. I also know TONS of people who bought 120/144Hz monitors for CS and TF2 and forgot to actually setup 120/144Hz in game and were playing at 60Hz for months before they even realized.
lexlazootin wrote: > https://gfycat.com/ImportantIllfatedCoati

omfg, no. the person with the ping would also have 150ms delay added to his shot, making both parties 100% even... i'm actually pretty mad at who ever made that content, It's such science BS.
This is a tad short sighted. Yes there would be 150ms added to his shot, but his shot was taken on a virtually unaware and still version of a player who needs to hit a moving target and have his shot register before the guy who has 150ms ping. That's what is implied by the peekers advantage. It is also important to note a player with 150ms ping is also at a constant disadvantage whenever someone peeks them cause the same thing applies to them but literally all the time.

gulul

Post by gulul » 07 Jan 2017, 04:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Sometimes a problem is elsewhere on the input lag chain.
You convinced me with those words, that's why i ordered another one and after some days i find out what was the problem.

humanbench test: i found out i did the test on my xl2430 with "high performance" active, but "balanced" on my xl2540. Since i switched to a 6800k, if i don't set high performance cores keeps going off (still using w7, it doesn't happen on w10) while playing some games like cs (causing stuttering), but i didn't think this could effect my "latency test"! I found out that with high performance active, my latency decrease by 25-30ms. So yes, the xl2540 it's at least comparable to the xl2430, actually it's a little bit faster (when comparing both monitor with maxed refresh rate). That still doesn't explain why i couldn't see enemies on cs sometime, but i suspect my connection went shit just while i was trying the monitor.

My bad luck is insane i know :p