Response time vs input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
netopatineto

Response time vs input lag

Post by netopatineto » 19 Dec 2016, 10:23

Hello everybody, I've learned something today that I think is critically important to decide which monitor I shall buy next.
I've been gaming on my laptop's built-in display (g751-jt) which has LG panel:

http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPD1_L ... 24463.html

According to the datasheet, this display has upto 25 ms of response time, which I completely believe since it is a IPS panel. It also has G-sync and can go up-to 100hz. Now, in my experience I've never found irritating the display's RT, (For comparison I've only tested it against an old 60hz) BUT I cannot withstand G-sync, I can immediately feel the lag from the input.

So, I do feel uncomfortable about input lag, but it seems that 25 ms of response time is far from a problem. How can these two contrast, if for example I buy a XL2411Z to activate lightboost or Motion Blur reduction? Also, I'd like to know the relationship between these two and ping, as I got comfortable gaming with upto 100ping, sometimes 110..

Is the added input lag from the strobe equivalent to the feeling of adding G-sync? If yes, then WHAT if am coming from a 25 ms display to a 1ms one?, could the added input lag become negligible?

Thanks a lot beforehand for your time.

I

lexlazootin

Re: Response time vs input lag

Post by lexlazootin » 19 Dec 2016, 11:28

A lot of misunderstanding of the technology going on here.

> According to the datasheet, this display has upto 25 ms of response time

This is not completely accurate and they probably just guess-estimated the result. Even if it was accurate it would probably be full transitions and you have to remember that it's switching to a colour and back again which would make it a lot worse then it really is, that what the (Tr+Td) stands for.

You also have to remember that response time isn't input lag but how fast the pixels transition and this can be customized per monitor and via G-Sync chip. But i'm not too sure this works on a laptop so...

> I cannot withstand G-sync, I can immediately feel the lag from the input.

You were probably using it incorrectly. I've tested it myself and it only adds 1-3ms at the same frame rates. You have to remember that your fps has to be below or caped below the maximum refreshrate or V-Sync will kick in adding a LOT of latency.

>3-4 paragraph

Motion Blur reduction will only add upto a frame 7ms~ or less.